Euro 2008 tickets

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by Prawn Sandwich, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    During the WC, ebay in UK was banned from selling the tickets as its a law there BUT in the US there is no such law that prevents someone to pay 10x the face value of tickets... so the US ebay site allowed auctions of WC tickets. It should more or less be the same for the Euros next year.

You still should be VERY careful of scams and counterfits... either they dont send it to you or they will sell people tickets then call UEFA and report them lost and you end up with invalid tickets.

2. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Check your e-mails today. I received notice this morning that additional tickets were available for those who initially applied. This morning I picked up 4 "Catagory 1" seats for the June 20th quarterfinal in Vienna!!! This was a game I applied for previously but did not win (only received 1 of the 4 games I applied for back in March).

Was sitting on the fence about even going to Euro 2008 because of only having a single game (4 tickets) but now have the June 15th game in Basle and the June 20th quarterfinal in Vienna. Anyway, check your e-mails as previously applicants are being given a chance to buy tickets again as of today.

Here is a copy of the e-mail I received from Euro2008:

Dear Football Supporter,

We are delighted to inform you that, due to your position on the waiting list, you now have the possibility to buy some tickets for UEFA EURO 2008™ for which you have applied in the first Application phase.

This offer is only valid until 7.10.2007!

If you are interested in buying these Tickets, please do the following:

1. Visit the Ticket Portal at: https://ticketing.euro2008.com/en/

(If you prefer to continue in French (Francais) or German (Deutsch), you can select your language at this page);

2. Login to your Application by using your Customer Reference Number and your chosen password, afterwards click the “Continue” button;

3. Click the “View Offers” button to view the Tickets offered to you. If you do not see a “View Offers” button, there are no Tickets offered to you at that time.

4. Accept or decline the Tickets you are offered (note that you can NOT reverse the declination of Tickets!);

5. Enter your Payment Details (not applicable if you decline all Tickets offered to you);

6. Make sure to click the “Submit” button to complete your Application;

Do not log off without submitting your Application!

SA

3. cbsmith

cbsmith Member

Feb 21, 2001
    New Jersey
    Interesting...i checked my account...no ticket offers, though I did get 4 tickets to 1 match the first time around. Has anyone else received any emails like this?

4. wombacik

wombacik Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Hmm... Interesting. But how about the transparency? Why there wasn't any public announcement about the rules applied while creating the so called "waiting list"?

5. wombacik

wombacik Member

Apr 20, 2007
    So you were alloceted the tickets on the application that was previously partialy successful or on the completly unsuccessful application?

6. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is giving me false hope. :mad:
    Since reading socceractions post I've been checking my emails every few hours.
    And like wombacik says, they haven't anounced anything about a waiting list. Can they change the rules without anouncing it first??

7. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    On a previously PARTIALLY successful application. Initially applied for 4 games and received only 1 game. The tickets I bought on Thursday were 1 of the 3 games I was unsuccessful with.

SA

8. wombacik

wombacik Member

Apr 20, 2007
  9. wombacik

wombacik Member

Apr 20, 2007
    This is outrageous! Don't you wonder why UEFA didn't start a new application process if they had some tickets left? Or why they didn't sell those tickets on first come first served basis?

It't quite obvious when you look at the statistics of ticket's orders. 29% of orders - from Switzerland, 27% of orders from Germany and 21% of orders from Austria. That's 77% in total! There are no interests in reducing the chances of German-spoken population by starting new application process, right? While getting close to the final tournament the interest in tickets from people from other countries is getting bigger and bigger. So they applied the best system for themselves! Without any previous regulations and public announcements!

I wonder if it's OK with the EU law? Or better - is it OK with any universal law like equality?

BTW, on that scheise forum I found information about people who filled in 60, 70 applications. Now you know the mistery of not being allocated any tickets in April...

10. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    I for one shouldn't be complaining but reading around I see that I was extremely lucky to be "pulled" from the waiting list. I completely agree with what Wombacik wrote. But I think there is an even bigger problem with the Euro 2008 organization: Amongst all of the stadiums, only Basel and Vienna hold 50,000 fans. The other stadia are 30,000 or so. The European Championships are the 2nd biggest tournament in soccer behind the World Cup. When you place 80% of the games in 30,000 seaters, you are bound to have serious problems. The REAL fans are going to end up paying 5-6 times the face value of tickets and brokers will get rich off of this tournament. I have nothing against Austria or Switzerland - two extremely beautiful countries - but I have to question UEFA's selection of countries that cannot provide several large stadiums in order to match what is pretty obvious huge demand. We will have the same problem in 4 years time with Poland and Ukraine as I believe Warsaw and Kiev can each provide a large stadium but what about the rest of the sites?

By my logic, the tournament would always be in England, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. That certainly doesn't seem fair either. The bottom line is that demand has far far far exceded supply. No matter what UEFA did on the application process, there was bound to be thousands and thousands of dissatisfied fans. I ended up selling my tickets to the World Cup last year and used the money to buy a HD projector and enjoyed the games on a 120" screen. Its not the same as being there but I wasn't complaining. I hate to admit it, but may end up doing the same for Euro 2008 if the ticket prices end up where I think they will end up. If I go, I would like to see at least 3-4 games but I have a feeling that buying the 3rd game will cost an arm and a leg - let alone a 4th. Add to all this a wife and two kids that want to enjoy Switzerland for a week or so and it gets pretty damn expensive (although going to Portugal in 2004 was a wonderful experience that was worth every penny). Decisions, decisions.....

SA

11. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dude, if you're suggesting you may sell you're tickets at a price hugely above face value you're not going to be very popular with the people on this forum.
    :mad:

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, that "huge demand" is somewhat fabricated since most of it comes from sclapers who have no interest in attending the games. You will see empty seats at some of the games next year.

BTW, it's roughly the same story with most previous hosts of the European championships! How many 50,000 seat stadia do you think Holland or Portugal has? And it was relatively easy to get tickets in Portugal. It's the way they've allocated the tickets this time that seems borderline corrupt.

And, its not true that 80% of the games are in 30,000 seat stadiums for the Euro 2008. Only a few group-stage matches are. Every knockout phase match is in either Basel or Vienna.

Poor argument. Weak sauce, mate!

Demand would've exceeded supply no matter what, true. But demand = 10 times supply is not the same as demand = 2 times supply.

13. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Rig,

My comments are more directed at purchasing additional tickets in order to justify going there. Originally, I only won tickets to a single game (now its two games). Airfare from the United States isn't cheap in the summer time and the hotels will be expensive as well. To make my trip worth the expense, I would like to see at least 3 games but would prefer 4 or perhaps 5. If the cost of 4 tickets to attend the "3rd game" are going to cost me more than the airfare......well you see how the cost vs. enjoyment scale starts to tilt the wrong way. When I possessed only tickets to 1 game (group stage game) I indeed had full intent on selling. I can't justify $5,000 in airfare for a family of 4 to see a single game. If my economics make me unpopular here - so be it....

More importantly, all of this indeed shows a serious problem with the ticket allocation system. As crazy as it sounds, I would rather have NOT won any tickets than winning a PARTIAL allocation of what I submitted. An "all or nothing" type of approach that would make my decision making all that much easier.

SA

14. Rig1964

Rig1964 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I fully understand what you mean, but if you only had tickets for one game and therefore decided not to go I would argue that you should return them (if this option is made available as it was for the world cup) or pass them on to someone at face value.

(For the record I ended up with WC tickets for games I couldn't get to for one reason or another, I have to admit I was very tempted to put them on ebay but in the end returned some to Fifa and sold a couple at face value to a guy I met through the ticket swap thread on big soccer)

15. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Rig,

You are indeed a noble man and perhaps a better man than I. For that I solute you!!!

Hate to be a pessimist but have often been accused of being a realist: After the scandal with the Trinidad delegation at the World Cup (being caught selling their allocation of tickets for a profit) there is a good chance that anybody (including FIFA!!!) that you sell your tickets to at face value will turn around and make a profit on them. Perhaps its the capitalist in me but just hate to pass "my profit" to someone else. Wish there was a legit organization that could use the tickets for underprivaleged kids to attend games that would otherwise be sold or not even used. That is where I would donate my tickets before selling them.

Meanwhile, already received some nice offers for some ticket swaps thanks to some Bigsoccer readers. Everything is pointing to my attendance in Switzerland/Austria next summer afterall which is the ultimate goal.

SA

16. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Successful Application Cancelled! Ticket payment denials in spam folder- Re: Euro 2008 tickets

Holy crap after all those games you went to in Germany you think they could have caught us a break?! I feel for you! I got lucky through my girlfriend, and then lucky again last week....

17. UrNumbrOneCrush

United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this explains why i got Semi-Final Vienna tickets last week.....hm.... interesting Mr Bond.....:eek:

18. UrNumbrOneCrush

United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My girlfriend too received this email... on sept 27th at 640AM delivered to her aol email address. I was at work when she forwarded the email. It was a complete surprise as (like it was mentioned before in this thread) there was NO MENTION of this happening anywhere that i know of on the Euro2008.com website. I almost had a heart attack at work. We ended up logging into her acct and the offer was 2 CAT 1 Semi-Final Vienna. I then had about 3 orgasms and of course, we got them. Her initial application was also successful in that we got a pair of tickets to a group match in Zurich (June 9). These are CAT 2.
    Now for the problem....our return flight home is scheduled for the day BEFORE the semi-final AHHHHH!!! Anyone know anybody that works for Delta, Continental, or Air France and want to become my new best friend?

19. migueldv

migueldv Member

May 8, 2006
    Lisbon
    Hi guys! Here I share with you an interesting piece of news that I just read in the official website, because I know some of you also had the same doubts as me. Take care, Miguel Vieira

----------------------------------------------------------

EURO draw details confirmed (posted in official Euro website)

Media details have been released for the draw for the UEFA EURO 2008™ final tournament at the Culture and Convention Centre in Lucerne, Switzerland on Sunday 2 December (12.00CET). Media accreditation requests can be made from today.

Draw procedure
    Under the draw procedure, host associations Switzerland and Austria are automatically qualified and will be allocated into positions A1 and B1 respectively. The other 14 teams will be split into four pots. Pot 1 will comprise the reigning European champions Greece, if they qualify, as well as the nation with the highest coefficient. The other teams will then be placed in the three remaining pots, based on the coefficient obtained in the qualifying competitions for the 2006 FIFA World Cup and UEFA EURO 2008™.

Filling first positions
    The draw will start with Pot 1 in order to fill the first position in each group. A first ball will be drawn from Pot 1 and the drawn team placed into the first position in Group C. Thereafter, the second ball from Pot 1 will be drawn and the respective team will be placed into the first position of Group D.

Draw continues
    The draw will then continue with Pot 4 and end with Pot 2. A ball will be drawn from Pot 4 and placed into Group A. In order to determine the position of the team within the group and the fixtures order, a ball will be drawn from Pot a (either A2, A3 or A4). Moving to Group B, another team will be drawn from Pot 4. Once again, to determine the position of the team within the group, a ball will be drawn from Pot b (either B2, B3 or B4). The same procedure will be repeated for Group C and D (in consecutive order) until all balls from Pot 4 have been drawn and positioned in each group. The same procedures will be followed for Pot 3 and Pot 2.

Press conference
    The draw will be followed by a photo shoot on stage with the coaches of the qualified teams and UEFA President Michel Platini, and by a press conference for each of the four groups.

20. Salop

Salop New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Shrewsbury, UK
    Got 4 semi final tickets for Vienna. Cost 1200 Euros though. Never mind the touts, the tournament organizers themselves are robbing people blind.

21. Felipao~

Felipao~ Member

Apr 25, 2007
    For those who already got their tickets and paid by Mastercard: What was the merchant's name on the charge? Really need to know this - my US issued mastercard has a tendency to disallow "suspicious" transactions. I need to call them in advance to alert them that the charge is coming.

22. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Felipao,

It was "UEFA Euro2008 Nyon"

23. gameson

gameson Member

May 5, 2006
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    are Euro 08 tickets going to be release to the market again? or we have seen the last of it? I applied for tickets, but didn't get it at all

i have been monitoring, but it seems like there is no new news in the official euro 08 website.

where do you buy the tickets besides the official website? i read that some has been pulled from waiting list. how do you get into waiting list?

thanks

Can you please tell me how did you get into waiting list? Like everyone said, there was no major announcement about waiting list or whatsover.

Thanks

24. migueldv

migueldv Member

May 8, 2006
    Lisbon
    (Reply to gameson post)

You get to the waiting list by having subscribed in the first (and only until now) phase, and being lucky (I guess). For what I know and read, nobody knows if is or not in the waiting list, they just wrote to some giving them the good news they were awarded more tickets because they were in the waiting list.

But before that neither those guys new they were on the waiting list, neither the rest (where I'm included) knew they were not on the waiting list. It was not even noticed in any official website that such thing existed (although I think it's a fair thing to happen, as long as it's a clear process).

Some years ago (Euro 2004) in Portugal we had that waiting list (the demand for our tickets was too high), but it was posted for everybody to see on the official website of the Portuguese Federation the waiting lists (and the position of the application codes on that waiting list), that were not huge, but had something like 100 applications per game. So everything was clear, not such as this process we are talking about.

To know more you'll have to ask directly to UEFA Euro organisation, try subscribing them your question through the FAQ section, sometimes they answer back.

Take care, Miguel Vieira

25. Bailz

Bailz Member

Apr 19, 2006
    There will be another chance to get tickets yet wont there? I didnt get any tickets in 1st ballot but hopefully be another chance to get some.