Euro 2008 Qualifier France vs. Italy 09/06/06 pre/post match [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by SueB, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    It still makes it a fluke. They charged, even if they had other chances, nothing came of them. And after that goal, they had no real chances since then. I mean, they did, but none of them that actually threatened Buffon, except for maybe one.

2. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    France is worrying about the match against Italy. Not only is Trezeguet out, but it looks like as if Saha and Makelele suffered some injuries against Georgia yesterday. Here's the article:

I tormenti di Domenech: Francia incerottata contro l'Italia
    Dom 03 Set, 7:25 PM

Se Atene piange sparta non ride. La vittoria sulla Georgia e il contemporaneo pari dell''Italia con la Lituania hanno fatto impennare la febbre gia'' altissima che brucia Parigi in attesa della grande rivincita. Mercoledi'' al Saint Denis tutta la Francia aspetta la vendetta della finale mondiale.

Il ct transalpino Domenech pero'' ha piu'' di un motivo per vivere una vigilia tormentata. Il ko di Trezeguet gia'' lo aveva costretto a convocare un nuovo giocatore, Julien Faubert del Bordeuax. Ma le botte prese da Saha e Makelele contro la Georgia preoccupano. I due giocatori sono ancora in ritiro, secondo l''Equipe pero'' sarebbero stati allertati Toulalan del Lione e Nicolas Anelka.

If Athens cries, Sparta does not laugh. The victory against Georgia and the contemporary Italy draw with Lithuania have heightened the already very high fever that burns Paris waiting for the big revenge win. Wednesday at Saint Denis all of France awaits the revenge of the World Cup Final.

The coach Domenech, however, has more than a reason to live in a tormented eve [before the match]. Trezeguet's "KO" already forced him to call up another player, Julien Faubert of Bordeuax. But the injuries sustained by Saha and Makelele against Georgia are worrying. The two players are still out, but according to L'Equipe, Toulanan of Lyon and Nicolas Anelka are said to have been alerted.
    http://it.sports.yahoo.com/03092006/4/i-tormenti-domenech-francia-incerottata-contro-l-italia.html

Donadoni is still optimistic though about the match against France.
    http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Nazionale/Primo_Piano/2006/09_Settembre/03/donadoni.shtml

What do you all think?

3. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    It won't make a difference, it's not as if they are hurting for players to choose from--they still have a wealth of talent at their disposal.

4. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    a win against france is impossible they will be more motivated against italy, i could see gallas doing something stupid and getting a red, unless cassano can pull out some magic like he did against lituania, italy will lose this one.

5. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    MAMMA MIA CHE PESSIMISMO!

A quick story...

I grew up in Naples and came to love calcio because of my nonno, who like me was named Gennaro (o' vice verso per meglio dire). I fell in love with the game and soon was watching with him every chance I got, and especially when la Nazionale played. We even made a few trips to stadium together. I remember watching gli Azzurri play in the 1982 World Cup with him. Early in the tournament, we were terrible. No cohesion. No fantasy. Nothing good to speak of. We just made it out of the first stage. As Italy got better, my nonno got more cynical. When they were to play Brasil, and Argentina, he was a man who had no faith! He loved to say "Che schifo" in regards to the play of the azzurri. In other words, he was a true, Italian, cynical fan. As Italy began to play better, he got worse. "Non ti preoccupare", he would say, "troverano modo di perdere anche questa". Of course, he would say it in Napoletano, but some of you might not understand, I think. Even when Italy beat Brasil, my nonno said "Tutta fortuna", and "Rossi non puo' continuare cosi'.

You all know how that World Cup ended. Italia were crowned champions. My nonno died in peace just a couple of years later. What's the point of the story? Well, my nonno Gennaro waited 44 years to see Italy lift a World Cup. He had a right to be cynical. I've seen Italia win 2 just in my lifetime! We are in a period in which people need to think about the fact that we just won the biggest, most important sporting tournament in the world! And less than 2 months have past since. I know it's Italian to think the worst in many ways. Maybe 15 years in America has changed me a bit, who knows. But I say this knowing my nonno would disagree with me...a draw against Lithuania means nothing. In my house, I am starting a new Italian tradition. That is to expect the best from Gli Azzurri. I think in a strange way, my grandfather would like that.

Sorry for the long story. But all of this cynicism reminded me of the reason I love the game. :cool:

6. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    ARGH

seeing Gila's header being kicked off the line yesterday at the 90th minute really made me a bitter person today.

Damn, we should of had 3 points.

7. tdrazz

tdrazz Member

Feb 14, 2005
    com'on guys,this is the first game,they were a bit rusty they didnt play any major games like series A or any important game.so give them a break,The France game will be a differant story. Forca Italia

8. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i cant believe he said that.

9. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I bet against France, Donadoni's 4-4-2/4-4-3 will give way to a
    4-4-1-1 or a 4-2-3-1 set up.
    and I don't see Grosso or Perrota start against France.

10. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Just conferming the game will be shown on TLN incase your wondering. RAI's site also conferms that it will be shown. And if you dont have any of these channels TG5 will also show the game.

If your in the US I don't know but my cousin lives there and he says that Settanta will probably show the game. If not get an online steam of the game I guess? :confused:

(And to those who have Fox Sports World, is it any good regarding Italy games? And what do they usually show? :eek: )

11. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

think about it playing against the angry french who want revenge for the world cup, for zidane. what do u expect, maybe a tie. Lets not forget france have a solid defence with makele and vieria as there DM'S its hard to get by them, they outplayed italy in the world cup final.

honestly who here actually think italy can win this one, i want them too but lets settle with a tie.

im pessimistic but realistic.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can't remeber the last time Italy really beat France outright in a match without pk's. I think I would have to go back to Argenina 1978 when Italy beat France 2-1. They lost in 1986 in 1998 they tied and then lost on pk's in France and in Euro 2000 they lost in OT when Trezeguet I think it was beat Nesta & Cannavaro who played a great match to win. That was heartbreaking especially because we were only 2-3 minutes away from winning. I think France has Italy's number.

I guess having so mant former or current starters playing at Juventus helped improve the French's level of play. I counted 7 players out of the starting 22 in the World Cup for Italy & France played at Juve last year. If you count Alex Del Piero as a sub you get 8 and then if you count former Juve player Zidane & Henry for France you are at 11. That is a ludicrous number. I mean when you have that many players play for both sides in a WC final, you know how tough the competition at Juventus was the last few years. I really think the French have raised their level of play by playing for top clubs in Italy.

13. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    at the world cup final... when it counted, toni nor totti had to do much about the game. atleast we have a cassano now and hopefully someone who will do better than totti in the finals. i still dont think france will win. cannavaro will keep henry at bay. we just have to watch out for malouda IMO and vieira on the set pieces.

P.S will tln have it in italian or english commentary?

14. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

tln usually has italian commentry for italy games, rai and tv5 will show the game, so 3 channels for one game.

15. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    Vincent Candela said as much after the 2000 EC Final in an interview he had with Enrico Varriale from RAI Sport.

To which somebody in the studio had commented that French players never gave up anything to Italians players in individual talent, just maybe in terms of mentality. As well, 11/22 players from the 1998 World Champions played in Italy.

16. Forzaa_Azzuri

Forzaa_Azzuri New Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Waterbury
    I was wondering the same thing.. Is FOX Sports World any good?

17. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

well the canadian channel is utter crap, they show nothing live just repeats of italian,epl,german,argentine league games, no world cup, euro cup games. They show some qualifying games for world cup and euro, that about it.

18. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Yeah I thought so.
    I got Goltv, RAI Int, and TLN so I think I should be covered..?
    I wanted to get Rai Sport but I found out that's not available in Canada and I was thinking of Fox Sports World but I guess it's not worth it.

19. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    well it's not like there's a station called "Rai Sport" that is entirely dedicated to sports. It's just that when they (RAI) show sports, they call their sports coverage that.

Similar to Fox Sports, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, etc...

20. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Really? I could of sworn when I went to Italy that there was a station called "Sky Sport Italia" but I guess I was mistaken. :eek:

21. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    I don't know about SKY. For RAI though, it's like that.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If its any confort 6 of the 14 players who played for France are in the #1-2 positions in the Ligue1 & 7 total players who played yesterday have already been playing in the French Ligue for 4 weeks or matches. That could mean a lot in terms of the players sharpness and game shape. Especially the 5 Lyon players. Its always better to have the same core group of club players on a national team. Changing 5-6 in a group is easier than getting 11 different players from different clubs together. The Italian team at the finals had 5 Juve starters I believe and they all knew Lippi and vice versa. Some players suffer from the lack of cohesiveness.

1 Olympique de Marseille 10 4 3 1 0 +7

2 Olympique Lyonnais 10 4 3 1 0 +6

COUPET (6):
    SAGNOL (6):

THURAM (6,5):
    GALLAS (7):
    ABIDAL (6,5):
    VIEIRA (7):
    MAKELELE (6,5): Replaced by MAVUBA (58th)

RIBERY (7,5): Replaced by GOVOU (69th)
    MALOUDA (8): .

SAHA (6,5): Replaced by WILTORD (86th).
    HENRY (6)

GK
    Grégory COUPET,23 | Lyon
    Mickaël LANDREAU 1 | Paris-SG

DEFENDERS
    Eric ABIDAL Lyon
    François CLERC Lyon
    Gaël GIVET Monaco
    Lilian THURAM FC Barcelona
    Jean-Alain BOUMSONG Juventus
    William GALLAS Arsenal
    Willy SAGNOL Bayern Munich

MIDFIELDERS
    Alou DIARRA Lyon
    Florent MALOUDA Lyon
    Patrick VIEIRA Inter Milan
    Claude MAKELELE Chelsea
    Rio MAVUBA Bordeaux

FORWARDS
    Sidney GOVOU Lyon
    Franck RIBERY Marseille
    David TREZEGUET Juventus
    Thierry HENRY Arsenal
    Louis SAHA Manchester United
    Sylvain WILTORD Lyon

23. Mazzy33

Mazzy33 New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Im not mistaken there is Sky Italia in Italy, or at least a branch of it, because I have seen Sky news on TLN in Italian. RAI is availiable in Canada, Im looking into getting ExpressVU and they offer it for 2.50 a month...

I emailed TLN to inquire about Italy games. Last game I remember was a WC qualifier late August 2005 vs Scotland on TLN. Is this forsure the game is being shown on Wednesday and what time?

Thanks guys

24. Pabs

Pabs Red Card

Jul 29, 2006
    Earth
    Yeah, that game against Scotland was actually played 1 year ago to this very day.

TLN has it for sure @ 1500

EDIT TO ADD: just saw the commercial advertising the game

25. Campioni_2006

Campioni_2006 New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Yeah TLN has it for sure if your in Canda anyway.. they even showed the commercial. Its on at 3:00 pm if you live in Toronto. And if you don't check the time difference.