Euro 2004 Qualifyer Predictions.

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Slash/ED, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Euro 2004 Qualifying Predictions.

With the qualiyers starting tomorrow, I was wondering what everyone thought of the groups

The ground are as follows, who do you think will finish first and second and qualify from each one?

Group 1
    Cyprus
    France
    Israel
    Malta

Group 2
    Denmark
    Luxembourg
    Norway
    Romania
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

Group 3
    Austria
    Netherlands
    Belarus
    Moldova
    Czech Republic

Group 4
    Hungary
    Poland
    Sweden
    San Marino
    Latvia

Group 5
    Germany
    Iceland
    Scotland
    Faroe Islands
    Lithunia

Group 6
    Greece
    Northern Ireland
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Armenia

Group 7
    England
    Liechtenstein
    Turkey
    Slovakia
    Macedonia

Group 8
    Belgium
    Bulgaria
    Croatia
    Estonia
    Andorra

Group 9
    Finland
    Italy
    Wales
    Yugoslavia
    Azerbaijan

Group 10
    Albania
    Ireland
    Switzerland
    Georgia
    Russia

Some good groups there, what does everyone think? My predictions are now below.

2. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Group 1:
    France,
    Israel.

The only tough thing about this group is to figure out who will be lucky enough to finish second, 100% record for france and Israel to get through by a point or two against the other minnows for me.

Ground 2:
    Denmark,
    Norway.

I know Norway weren't all to impressive in world cup qualifying, but players like Flo, Solskjaer and Riise will give them the attacking fire power to get them to second and possibley challange for first, but this group looks like Denmarks.

Group 3:

Holland,
    Czech Republic.

Another one where the winner *should* be clear enough, Holland, if they play well, should have this easy. Best of the rest, I fancy the Czechs but only by a point or two.

Group 4:

Sweden,
    Poland.

This one is tougher, the top two should be clear enough but it depends on which Poland shows up and how Sweden cope without Larsson or even Ljunberg for the opening matches, results between those two countries will be the only real matches of significance here.

Group 5:

Germany,
    Iceland.

Germany are the type of team who will quite simply walk through this group with relative ease. As for second place, Scotland really do look to be in a rut, if they plan on coming second a really really good start is needed, good thing they're playing Faroe first, but I still see Iceland doing it.

Group 6:

Spain,
    Ukraine.

A tough one to predict, as Spain are capable of going to Ukraine and self destructing but they should be able to pull through, greece will fight all the way for second spot but the match in Ukraine between themselves and Greece will be the decider, and I can only seing that going to the home country.

Group 7:

Turkey,
    England.

This one is impossible to predict, you know England and Turkey will be in the top two but in what order? I'm picking Turkey because they have some world class players but also nobody, and I mean nobody, goes to Turkey and gets a win easy, and the match in Turkey between them and England decides it for me, if Svens men get a result, even a draw, they should top it, but if they lose this could be an upset.

Group 8:

Croatia,
    Belguim.

Not the strongest group by any means, and really, any one from Croatia, Belguim or Estonia could win it if they hit form at the right time. Estonia are very hard to break down, Croatia are always capable of scoring and Belguim are a good all round team, may not produce the best football but will be very interesting to see who comes out of this one.

Group 9:

Italy,
    Wales.

This one is the group of death, four teams all equally capable of qualifying with Italy as favourites they should secure first spot but Wales, an ever growing nation not to be under estimated with some of the best attacking players in the epl, Yugo, a nation in decline but still capable of putting a preformance in when needed and Finland, with some good flair players and a very good squad. I'm going with Wales as they have the youngest squad and will be the strongest by the end of the campaign which could bode well for them.

Group 10:

Ireland,
    Russia.

Hard for me to predict this but I honestly think you have to say this is Irelands group, Russia are in decline and Ireland have lost one competitive game in three years, and that was the second leg of a match tie they won, and have a nine year competitive unbeaten home run. Russia, nobody will know what to expect from them and their reformed squad but that could work as much against them as for them, the match tomorrow in Moscow sets the tone, I think the Irish will win it and go unbeaten to secure the group, with Russia coming second after a suprise good preformance from the Swiss who narrowly miss out.

What does everyone else think? I'm having a look for tomorrows fixtures and will put them up if I find them.

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Take:
    Group 1:
    France, Slovenia.
    France will cruise. Slovenia has qualified for Euro2K and K/J02 and is strong enough to challenge again. Israel, while improving will be hurt by having no home games.

Group 2:
    Denmark, Romania.
    Romania just missed KJ02. They'll be ready this time. Norway died in qualifying last two years will come closer this time.

Group 3:
    Netherlands, Czech Republic.
    Both the Netherlands and Czech Republic want to make up for their weak JK02 qualification runs. Czechs showed Yugoslavia today that they are back. Austria will finish a ways back. Schade.

Group 4:
    Sweden, Poland.
    Should be staight forward - but it seldom works out that way.

Group 5:
    Germany, Scotland.
    Iceland isn't there yet. Germany is!

Group 6:
    Spain, Ukraine.
    Spain should roll again. Ukraine should lose out in the playoffs for the third straight time.

Group 7:
    England, Turkey.
    Except for Brasil, Turkey had a fairly easy run in KJ02 - playing NO Euro teams. They will make it hard for England, though - particularly at home.

Group 8:
    Croatia, Belguim.
    Only issue is who finishes on top.

Group 9:
    Italy, Yugoslavia
    Italy without too much trouble - though they won't win in Finland or Yugoslavia. Finland will be close, and Wales won't.

Group 10:
    Russia, Ireland.
    "Hard ... to predict this but I honestly think you have to say this is Ireland's group..." I almost agree.

4. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    Group 1
    1. France
    2. Slovenia

I was tempted to put Israel, but Slovenia is looking at least decent right now.

Group 2
    1. Denmark
    2. Romania

Denmark should make at least second with Romania beating out Norway. Remember, Romania nearly made it to the 2002 WC, Norway was horrible in an average group.

Group 3
    1. Holland
    2. Czech Rep.

These two teams SHOULD finish in the top two spots but you never know, Austria and Belarus can be tough to defeat.

Group 4
    1. Sweden
    2. Poland

These two teams are clearly the best in the group with maybe Hungary coming somewhat close behind.

Group 5
    1. Germany
    2. Scotland

Ok, Germany is a lock for first. Will be interesting to see who finishes second. Scotland got a good draw I think.

Group 6
    1. Spain
    2. Ukraine

Tough one here. Ukraine needs Shevchenko to play, and when he plays, to play well. I hear he's not playing in the opener.

Group 7
    1. England
    2. Turkey

I was thinking about putting Turkey for first, but England always finds a way in qualifying and should do that again here.

Group 8
    1. Belgium
    2. Croatia

Belgium played very well at the 2002 WC while Croatia did not. I say Belgium takes the group. I would also not be surprised if Bulgaria causes problems. They could sneak into second place.

Group 9
    1. Italy
    2. Yugoslavia

Italy will almost definitely take first with Yugoslavia in a tight fight for second with Wales or Finland.

Group 10
    1. Rep. of Ireland
    2. Russia

Ireland has been playing consistently well and almost never get blown out. Russia disappointed me at the 2002 WC, but still should be good enough to sneak into second.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Moved to Europe and UEFA.

Azerbijan wins it all.

Sachin

6. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    In your dreams.;) and yes i know your joking..........:rolleyes:

7. silahsiz kuvvet

silahsiz kuvvet New Member

Sep 12, 2002
    istanbul
    I don't know about the rest of the groups but in group7 TURKIYE will qualify as number one. Everyone is welcome to the great ISTANBUL to the final game to see how we qualify. Good luck to England for their runners up games. I would really want to see them in that cup.

8. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I suppose you'll have to break the habit of a lifetime and actually score a goal against us if you want to finish top of the group .

9. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    They can always try to beat up the England players like they did to Ireland if they (Turkey) perform badly in Istanbul. They'll get through no problem then.

I think Wales have a chance. It depends on how they do in the Italy and Yugoslavia matches.

10. silahsiz kuvvet

Sep 12, 2002
    istanbul
    Its true that we haven't scored a goal yet but thats past right? I am really confident about our team and ofcourse we will score.

And also i want to come to the game in England. Does anyone know where is it going to be played and how many seats will be reserved for Turkey fans

11. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Sunderland's Stadium of Light, and I don't know how many Turkish tickets are allocated.

12. silahsiz kuvvet

Sep 12, 2002
    istanbul
    Whats the capacity of this place (Stadium of Light)

13. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    About 44,000 seats....

14. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    its nearer to 48,000 seats