Euro 2004 Play-Off's Leg 1 [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by miko, Nov 15, 2003.

1. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Results:

Scotland 1-0 Netherlands
    McFadden 22" (1-0)

Russia 0-0 Wales

Croatia 1-1 Slovenia
    Prso 5" (1-0)
    Siljik 22" (1-1)

Latest Score:
    Latvia 1-0 Turkey
    Verpakovskis 29" (1-0)

Matches later:
    Spain v. Norway

2. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    OMG!! And still 1-0 at 57 minutes, and, accordning to the UEFA tracker, Turkey was "totally outplayed in the first-half ". Things like this and the Scotland match gives hope even for Norway.

3. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Still 1-0 after 79" minutes!!! And Turkey down to 10 men! Emre Asik has been sent off.

4. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Full time. Latvia 1- 0 Turkey.

Rustu also picked up another yellow which will see him suspended for the next match.

Amazing. I'd never have picked that one!

b.

5. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    all the favorites are in trouble except spain winning 2-1

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Almost every result today has been an upset. Incredible really. The only exception is Spain - Norway, but even then 2-1 is a very narrow margin and gives Norway a good chance to go through.

Anyway, what a Euro 2004 this would be with Scotland, Wales, Latvia and Slovenia :D

7. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Come on Latvia!

Down with the anti football nation that is Norway!

8. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Spain had something like 30 shots on goal. They really pummelled Norway. Norway had about 6 or so. Anyway, Norway's goalkeeper made some excellent saves. Bravo to Latvia. Now they have a really tough battle at one of the more intimidating places to play at. Bravo to McFadden.

9. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Let's hope we don't hear about any Latvian guys getting raped in the steets come Thursday...if i remember correctly it was in qualification for Euro 2000 that this happened last (insert Irish guy for Latvian)

10. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Tom, did you watch the Croatia/Slovenia match? I missed it (maybe I should be glad I did).

How could we not score more than a goal against their Swiss cheese defense?

11. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I can't believe what happened in the Latvia vs. Turkey match. That is such a disapointment. Turkey better win the next match with a big score difference. I still can't believe what happened...

12. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Baric’s blindness is amazing. Croatia has played two great games under him, v. Belgium (4-0) and v. Bulgaria(1-0). In both of these games he played a 4-4-2. But after both of those games he went back to the wing-back system. That wouldn’t be a disaster in it self. The problem is he plays pure defenders in wing-back position.
    It seems that even he realizes that the 4-4-2 is best suited for the players he has. Whenever he was in real trouble he used it, yesterday he even switched to it in half-time.

I really believe this Croatian squad is as good as the 98. team, when used properly.

13. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    Well, all I have to say is wow. Every match was close, lots of great goaltending in the matches and it maybe ironically shows that all of these teams deserve to be in the playoffs. Scotland just wasn't afraid of Holland in their match, but let me tell you that Holland probably deserved to get one back, they had many chances in the match. Latvia as well wasn't afraid and gave it their all, it's hard to believe that Latvia is just a draw away from Portugal, but to go into Turkey and draw is extremely difficult to do. Wales picked up the needed draw in Moscow, now let's see if they can get their act together at home and win. The last two home matches they drew with Finland 1:1 and lost to S&M 3:2, so the Russians definitely have a shot. Croatia maybe in trouble now after they drew 1:1 with Slovenia, and the second leg should be very close, and it could go either way. Spain dominated Norway, but only won 2:1 which gives Norway at least some hope, plus the one away goal may come back to haunt Spain. Playing up in Oslo this late in the year may give Norway the advantage they need to win. Can't wait until the 19th.

14. Soccersuperman

Soccersuperman New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Swiss cheese defence?

He, he ... didn't look like that.

What happened to Baric? 5 defenders, 2 (lousy) midfielders and 3 strikers in the same line? Whoaa! That's unbelievable! This guy should leave, EURO 2004 or no.

15. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    well my croatian friends
    i watched the game and this guy sums up what i think

he puts 2 defenders on the wings what can you expect and he starts that former drug addict mornar...
    kranjcar cant play yet cuz hes too young yet he put neretljak in his first game as a midfielder????
    the guy is a centreback

well anyways rapaic and srna will play from the beginning on wednesday
    and that should mean slovenia is out...
    we had 13 corners and they had 0....

baric doesnt know anything he insists that we play the norwegian way meaning throwing meaningless balls in the penalty box so some1 knocked them in with a header which is boring and its not our game..

the only guy to take a shot at goal was niko kovac and if it hadnt deflected it wouldve went in

16. Soccersuperman

Oct 14, 2003
    "well anyways rapaic and srna will play from the beginning on wednesday
    and that should mean slovenia is out...
    we had 13 corners and they had 0...."

Rapaic and Srna sre no big trouble for Slovenia. Sokota and Tudor are the biggest possible threat now. And don't forget the fact that it's away game - Slovenia lost in Ljubljana in past 8 years only against Norway and France. And Croatia is no France, believe me.

I think Croatia is out - it's just that they don't know it.... ;-)

17. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york

you think cro is out lmao

why dont you put $1000 on slovenia
    you know you wouldnt so be quiet

im 110% confident that croatia will knock out slovenia and then we will celebrate at their pathetic stadium

and another question who did slovenia beat in those 8 years anyone worth mentioning
    THOUGHT SO

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Hrvatska 2 Slovenija 1

Otherwise, Baric should be barred from coming back.

19. Soccersuperman

Oct 14, 2003
    tomvansomething - yeah, I would bet 1000 USD (but I don't have such money).

Who did Slovenia beat? Ukraine, Romania, Czech Republic, Italy (both friendlies), draw with Russia, Yugo and Croatia. Not bad IMO.

20. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    WHAT

looks like that 8 year streak os over by who else
    than the croats
    we even played with one less guy for the last 25 minutes

very well deserved

forza croatia