PBP: (EURO 08 Semi-Finals) Germany v. Turkey [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Dead Fingers, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Not really, he's not German.

2. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good sum-up!

No, you are not the only one. Exactely what I have noticed in all the games he has played for us since he came back from injury. And Rolfes didn't play badly, he was just a bit helpless like everyone else. I think he only came off that early because of his injury. I really hope he will start in the final and Frings stays on the bench as long as possible. When we need someone who like to engage in some nice passing game between the back four and the goalie to buy time, bring Frings. Urgh, that hurts. Because I really like him and he is a great player when in good form. :(

3. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    +Gooner+ you may be a good goalkeeper, but I think you have no clue what you're talking about here.

Frings isn't as useful offensively as he could be right now but if your defensive midfielder is a defensive liability like Rolfes was you can just as well jump from the bridge.

4. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Me too! I saw the game here in a sports bar in Tokyo (Roppongi) with lots of Germans and Turks. It was standing room only.

Even with all the cheering and noise, I sometimes found myself asking myself, when are the Germans going to get the ball? When will we attack? I rely thought we were outplayed for long stretches.

The bar errupted in cheers when the Turks scored while we were quiet. Of course, four minutes later we errupted whend the Germans scored and they were quiet. After that, it all becomes a blur. In fact, I can't remember hearing the Turkish fans celebrate when they scored the equalizer, probably because I was so zoned in on the match. It's like I couldn't hear what was going on around me? Has this happened to anyone before?

Anyway, when Lahm scored that beauty, I went nuts with a double fist-pump and scared the hell out of the waitress in front of me. She and the other waitress just looked with dumbfoundedness at all these fans going wild. It was funny because we all just looked so silly to her.

5. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And this pretty much sums up why WM2002 was the worst tournament I have ever seen from a fan perspective. Those matches in Japan may as well have been played in Libraries.

6. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    they cheated on the Australia game!! they dont even deserve to qualify from the group stage!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0do5xlE9C_A :D:eek:
    love this video!

7. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    I'm not sure that Rolfes was a defensive liability more than anyone else out there. The midfield looked confused. They were scattered over the pitch by a pacy Turkish side that used the full width of the pitch. And they looked confused. Ballack looked frustrated that the Turks dared to play so well. It's as if he was scoffing at the Turks, incrudeluous that they would offer such a stern test. Did anyone else notice this? What was up with that?:eek: By the way, did I mention that the midfield looked confused?

8. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hehe, I have already noticed you are a Frings-fanboy. Don't try to hide it. :D You are surprisingly forgiving towards him even though he has done nothing but to slow down the game, lose the ball in dangerous situations and instill nill confidence in the team because he himself looks like he has no confidence left. I am sure he wants to do better but it seems he just can't.

9. Basti Fantasti

Basti Fantasti New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My family have seen a whole other side to me whilst watching Germany through this tournament, its not a side i'm exactly proud of ... my poor TV has suffered a barrage of abuse! They close the windows so the neighbours can't hear. :p

10. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hehe, that's what I mean. Things will be adjusted this time. Okay, Italy avoided the knock out in the group stage but dropped out early and we are going to win that darn pot. :cool:

11. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    I thought the 2006 World Cup was pretty lame too, especially if we don't consider Germany matches. Although, I loved Zidane's headbutt in extra time. That added some real drama.

Seriously though, this European Cup has been utterly unpredictable. You just have no idea who's going to win. I have no idea why that is. Anyone have any theories? Between Russia, Spain, and Germany, you might as well flip a coin.

I hope we play Spain. They look a lot like Portugal.

12. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Hahahaha! :D

13. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Me too, except early on I was on the computer in the middle of the house, and my parents were afraid to have guests over!

14. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I criticised him before and said I'd like to see his ego shrinked. Not a fanboy at all. But I know what we have defensive midfielders for. Pointless discussion.

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you read Uli's new article he pretty much sums it up. 1. We were mentally unprepared again. 2. Termin outsmarted Loew tactically. He predicted our line up and had an answer for every player on the pitch. None of our players expected Turkey to come out and play like that with their reserves, they were literally shell shocked.

Yea, the way I see it we were allowed back into the game by a Turkish team that was getting tired as the game went on. If you watch closely many of their players didn't make the runs they did in the first half and some even stopped chasing balls. Of course, our guys stepped it up a notch in terms of effort and hustle but tactically we really didn't change anything.
    Thank goodness for all that huh?

I get what you're saying about Frings and all that aimless backpassing really doesn't do our game any favors. I still find Frings's determination and grit a valuable assett. Loew will start him in the final I'm sure of it.

Like you said, if we don't get our shyte together it could be a very one sided final.

16. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the reason that it has been so unpredictable is the lack of consistency (noone has played 2 great matches in a row except Russia and Netherlands) combined with the lack of crap teams from Asia/Africa/North and South America. Lets face it, Asia really only sends 1 maybe 2 teams that are decent. Then you have every caribean team as cannon fodder. All SA teams not named Argentina or Brasil. There is so much more quality at the EM.

17. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Do we have a new defender on the team I haven't heard about? Who's Matersucker?

Maybe his partner in defence for the final will be Metzemurder.

I read on the uefa.com site that the Turkish player twisted his ankle trying to defend against Lahm, who just flew (sharply cut inside and dribbled) past him with such speed.

18. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    That was Colin Kazim-Richards, I nearly missed the goal because I was wondering why he was down...

19. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Nah just you.

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    for the final goal it was frings who moved the ball up himself and then played 2-3 passes with 2 players before passing it left to hitzlsperger.

2 minutes before that he turned on the spot surrounded by 4 turkish players and ran up the field to initiate and attack.

21. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree.

We have to be very happy that the Turks couldn't keep their impressive attacking play from the 1st half!

I still can't believe how easily we were outplayed by their "B" squad :eek: ... and also can't remember a semi-final (and there had been many of them) when we played worse than last night!

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Borussia sometimes you become negative without rationale.

If a team uses energy like they did in the first half then of course they will tire a lot in the second half. Why should germany "be happy that the turks couldn't..." ?

Turkey had it coming. It's a direct consequence.

To be totally honest Turkey disrupted Germany a lot and made their own chances, but Germany also fought. Not by subduing them and playing nice passing football but by making key plays at key times (not just the goals).

If turkey outplayed germany they would have had more chances in the second half and germany wouldn't have made the impact germany made. Did you know turkey only had 1 shot at all in the 2nd half before senturk scored? And that was a harmless shot by ugur boral

23. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I must say that slick move by Lahm to get past Kazim was a thing of beuaty. The shot itself was amazing as well considering the placement almost had to be perfect for the ball to get in to the nearpost area like that. I'm sure Kazim feel down because he was embarassed at the fact that he got owned so badly. It seems that the German team is great at capatilzing in their opponents weaknesses. The German team also has the ability to keep so calm and collected under pressure. This will help them against Spain on Sunday, it will be fun game to watch on Sunday.

24. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope it isn't that sort of game...we're better when we impose our game on the other team from the beginning like against Portugal. How easy that is to do depends on how hard spain come at germany physically

25. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pure & simple because we didn't really manage to improve our game after the interval.

If you have seen a good or even solid performance in the 2nd half, we've probably viewed 2 different games...