PBP: (EURO 08 Group B) Austria v. Germany [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Dead Fingers, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    this overracting whiny attitude gets annoying...

There was again a lot wrong today but some of you ppl are going totaly over top.
    Germany vs Portugal is ofc a 50/50 match even if you ppl like this "oh god its all bad, the world will end" talk.
    Seriously, dont act likes kids or i might think you ppl are kids cause then obviously you havent seen other tournaments of germany or other big teams.

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think another variable that needs to be discussed regarding our terrible form has to be our inconsistent line ups ranging from the World Cup to this tournament. I apologize if this was brought up already and I missed it.

Since '06, due to either injuries, bad spells of form, or experimental player selection, we rarely saw a run of NT games in which the line up was consistent. Take for example the absence of Frings and Ballack for long spells from the NT. Both are key players in Loew's set up and basically constitute the core of this team. Everything operates from and through them. Both were missed due to injuries through a large chunk of qualification games. Whenever a player recovered, another was injured or missed games.

How many games were played since 2006 that included our set starting XI from the World Cup? The answer is none. There were always alterations made, minor at first, but going into '07 a lot of changes were made by Loew due to the above mentioned factors.

Personally, I think the absence of two such key elements in the preparation leading up to the tournament hurt the team as there was insufficient time to prepare and practice together. It may have prevented the team from finding the right balance and reach a good team chemistry that results in comfortable playing on the pitch.

3. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nah, you get it all wrong. we'll win 3-1. Although that scoreline will be slightly flattering.

The second goal will be scored by Klose who'll benefit from a shot by Hitzlsperger that'll be deflected by Ricardo.
    You heard it here first :cool:

4. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I would love for you to be right!

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FR

from end of wc to and including czech game, we had everyone available ecxept :

schneider who missed cyprus

mertesacker and metz who missed all games until swiss friendly in feb

klose who missed czech

6. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    portuguese link in their thread says loew will watch the qf from the stands

7. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What the heck??? Why is that ?:eek:

8. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Because he supported the Austrian coach who was quite articulate about his disagreement with the ref in the game. Löw said that it was their job to support their players, so both coaches were ordered to leave the pitch.

However, AFAIK there is no official verdict of the UFEA yet. So it's merely speculation...

9. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah i know that they had to leave the pitch today.. but why portugal game? that doesnt make sense

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Well, the UEFA has the right to administer additional punishment. It has happened before.

11. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so he got sent cos he was supporting hickersberger? not because he was independently complaining at the same time?

12. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    That's how I understood it. Apparently he told the fourth ref that Hickersberger has every right to be upset because it's his job and the coaches have to do their job on the sideline.

Of course Löw could be lying, but he doesn't seem like someone who'd do that.

13. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ugh.
    oh well.. there is nothing we can do about this now...

For some reasons, i have a good feeling for protugal game.. and THEY have to win to play in the semi (which is also my bday!) so they have to win the semi as well as a bday gift :)

14. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he is a gentleman, i dont think he will lie about that.

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what date is the semi?

16. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    the 25th

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so, i have a question : how many of you would rather have had schneider on the right, even after his relatively poor season?

18. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    count me in. My ideal lineup would be the exact one we put up against Argentina in 2006.

19. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany 4-1 Portugal
    Schweini 3 goals 1 assist, klose 1 goal

Have hope my friends! :)

20. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    I love this optimism. Lets all be positive now and help fire our team onto victory!

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah, no more negativity, let's be cheerful

22. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    bring it on!

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VbWtFXMuf6s&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VbWtFXMuf6s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Right, the first couple of qualifiers we didn't miss too many regulars although we had some out. But going into the last months of '07 and into '08 we saw a lot of changes and players that ended up not making the Euro squad.

I am now wondering whether these inconsistencies might have had anything to do with the end product we're seeing so far in the tournament. It never helps missing key players in preparation, which qualifiers and friendlies essentially are. I don't want to grossly exaggerate the effects of this since all teams go through line up changes due to similar factors as us but some of our problems (team chemistry, unpreparedness) do resemble characteristics of a team and players who lacked a lot of playing time together leading up to the tournament.

24. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The first half of the qualifying campaign + czech republic were done with virtually a full strength team and we played very well and won easily.

Could be...be but we were relying on ballack and frings and the others being very familiar with each other already so being able to pick up where they had left off. That is why during the last 4 friendlies, despite not showing the usual form we thought they'd come good during the tournament.

More than anything, it's just them not handling the mental side of it during the tournament..

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Since that video that prymetyme posted, our uniforms have gotten baggier and their much tighter!!