Eureka! I'm a Grown Aris Man: The Eddie Johnson Story [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by wooglin12, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
  2. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Eureka! I'm a Grown Aris Man: The Eddie Johnson Story

I don't see how anyone could worry about Eddie not being able to work with that level of physicality. He did have some pretty good years in MLS . . . notorious for some physical defending. The only problem with England was apparently the level of play, not the style of play.

Also, the 4-4-2 will be perfect for him. He should have no problem with that since that is what he has played everywhere he has gone. Cuper's strictness is also no problem. We have heard anything negative about Eddie's attitude since he went to England. In fact, we've heard a ton of positive comments about his attitude.

But we really don't know about Freddy.

He worked decently as a winger in the Olympics. He had one match where he was only effective at times and then he dominated the Netherlands. But he was given freedom to cut into the middle of the field and wasn't expected to be whipping in crosses. Would that be how he would play in Aris? Or would Cuper want him to send balls into the box?

When it comes to attitude, athleticism, work rate, etc we are pretty clueless. It always seems as if Freddy has his head on straight, but he did have that little incident about going to a club or something a few months ago. But none of his coaches have really ever given reasons for him not getting playing time. Overall though, it seems as if this is the perfect coach for him.

3. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree about Eddie. From tracking his progress with Cardiff and Fulham's reserves, he seems to have worked really hard to improve. The EPL was too big of a jump from MLS, but it did force him to get better. I think he will do well at Aris, and hopefully use the experience as a springboard to get playing time at Fulham.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have a question about the Adu rumor: If the team needed up a foreign player spot for Eddie, don't they have to do the same for Adu?

5. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

Thats right my friend.

Its almost sure that soon Abreu and Gracian will be out of team OFFICIAL so Adu and Eddie will take their places.

I have to add sth more too.
    I see that you know Cuper's formation. 4-4-2 of course.

I have read that probably Adu will play in the left winger. I read in other posts that Adu is better as second attacker. Have ever played as left winger and do you think that he can play in this position?

Thanks for answers and sorry for my bad english.:p

EDIT: Why my avatar is too small? Can any admin fix it please?

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Yes, adu can play on the left wing, this is where he played for dc united, but he is more comfortable as a creative central midfielder, and tends to play better from there, and when given more freedom to roam towards the middle.

He is similar to gracian on how he plays, is a good dribbler, and can earn fouls, and is good at passing the ball and working creatively.

But to answer your question, he CAN play on the left wing position, but is better in the middle or as a secondary striker.

1 person likes this.
  7. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

Thanks for answer mate.

As i can see in videos Adu is a fast player. Gracian is a good passer but for sure(in this 5 months in Aris) he wasnt a fast player.
    Gracian in greece had just one good game and this was with Panathinaikos on the road. And the reason was that Panathinaikos after 0-1 played very open and left empty spaces.

About Adu now. When you play in winger with 4-4-2 formation you have to go back and help in defence(in the midl of field), you have to press very well. I hope Adu can do this.

Sorry for my english again

8. Metzengerstein

Jul 29, 2007

One of the few games I saw Adu play for Belenenses, he played well on the wing and tracked back a lot to help out. Adu says he has been working hard on his defense. But he hasn't played a whole lot lately, so we don't know.

Defense definitely does not come naturally for him. He would much rather be a striker.

1 person likes this.
  9. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tracking back on defense is widely believed to be Adu's main weakness. No manager has blatantly said this was the problem, but it is the one weakness that fans can see and Bob Bradley (coach of the US national team) hinted that Adu needed to improve his defense.

When it comes to the wing, definitely Freddy can play there, but what is expected of a left winger in Aris's system? Like I said, Freddy has only looked good on the wing when he cut into the middle of the field, he doesn't really send in a lot of crosses. In his minimal time on the wing with Belenenses, he was still more comfortable cutting into the middle.

Now, will Cuper want him to continue that? Will they want him to be more of a wide player? And then American fans have to ask if Freddy will finally adapt to fit a coach's different style instead of playing the same as always.

10. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Like others have stated, Adu' isnt a great defender, and I am scared that playing him on the wing won't be the best for him at Aris.

How about his competition as a supporting striker? Does he have any chance playing there?

11. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

Our main attacker are Sergio KoKe and Campora right now.

Hard to play there i think. Main reason is that Koke is hard to be out of first eleven for a lot of reasons. Cuper said that the 2 places that need players are CF and in winger. So if EJ is CF i think Cuper wants Adu to use him in Winger.

But all these are just some thoughts and you never know. We will see in next days i think.;)

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Sweet! Please keep us updated on EJ and hopefully adu of he does indeed go! Any pics, links, stories, etc!

When do you think EJ will get a chance to play? When is aris' next game?

13. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

Our captain Koke plays as a second striker. He's been underperforming 2 years now and still he hasn't lost his place in the starting eleven. So I guess not, there is no chance of Adu playing there. That doesnt matter though. A player should be able to play wherever he is told to play by his coach. EJ should be ready for the game against Iraklis on 10/01.

1 person likes this.
  14. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

Bolivianfuego next game is in 3 days and for sure will not play.
    Its to early to answer to you in the other questions but i promise that i will update here when i have news.;)

2 people repped this.
  15. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To our Greek friends:
    Do you know of any websites that show Aris game live and for free?

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Yes! This is true, hopefully adu can fulfiill what Cuper asks of him, who is a very very good coach!

17. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

Almost for all games for Aris there are links. Only you have do is to search 30-60 minutes before the game starts in sites like myp2p etc etc.

There are 3 greek chanels that show games in greece.
    One of them is SKAI and in this link there is live streaming http://www.skai.gr/tv/ ;)

So when the game is in greek chanel SKAI its easy to watch the game.

First 4 games in second round are covering from the other 2 chanels. In 06-02-10 we play with Panthrakikos and the game is covering by SKAI;)

Hope you understand me.

18. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's perfectly fine. Don't worry about it.

And we're very glad you're here.

19. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You Aris fans are great! Thanks, and keep it up.

20. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

I am very glad too guys.;)
    Forum seems nice and there are ppl with football knowledge and willing to help.

You gave us nice infos about the 2 players(and hope to give us more if we need them). Now its our time. During next 5-6 months(at least) i think that you will read a lot of posts from me at least in this topic.:D

21. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United

It depends. As with any country some parts of better than others. I didn't really care for Athens that much, although the Plakka is cool, but the islands are awesome. I really enjoyed Santorini and Naxos. My sister-in-law is Greek so I've been quite a few times. Probably would be a little different if I lived there but. I do like Greece a lot.

22. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

Athens shucks. Salonica is great.:rolleyes::D

The truth is that Athens is a big city with a lot of traffic.
    Salonica is the second city of Greece but its very different. Distances are smaller, there are nice places to spend your time and nightlife is very good.(actually this is good for players but not for fans:cool:).

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Yea, I went to Mykonos, Santorini, and IOS. Santorini was too 'couple'y' for my liking, although fun, Ios was the best, and mykonos too was awesome, but very 'posh'. Ios was a stragith party zone like cancun x10. It was hilarious cause eveyrwhere i went, i saw people hurt. lol My buddy said to be careful when drunk, cause the roads were prettty trickey when shitfaced drunk lol.

All i konw is i am going back this summer, back to mykonos and ios, the best two island/vacation spots i've ever been to in my life! (at least for 20 somethings!)

But yea, i wish i could have gone to Thessaloniki, i missed out. I was secretly hoping on going to watch a aris game, and hopefully run into nacho garcia lol.

Athens actually coming from the airport reminded me of bolivia, with where i was staying, with my firends grandma in the port side, Pireaus.

It is to me, what bolivia would be if they were more rich and had rights to the sea lol. Very fast paced, alot of travelers, and very modern yet with the ruins in the middle of the city made for an interesting time.

24. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara

Freddy always looked like one of the faster players in the age group national team games.

But, now, as an adult and fully grown, I don't see that same speed anymore. I think that's one element that has held him back from being more of the top player that everyone thought he was going to be early on.

He still has quick feet and ball control, but the straight ahead speed, I just don't see it now.

25. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Freddy is quick like a cat but fast as a goose on land

For those who wonder how fast a goose is, I only wish I knew, but I will assume it is very pedestrian