Eureka! I'm a Grown Aris Man: The Eddie Johnson Story [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by wooglin12, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAG reject in the house!!! :D

In all seriousness He got his fat ass back into a decent shape last year, to me Ruiz is like a homeless man's Salvador Cabanas, pesky little poacher forward. I'd say that this is an ok signing for Aris.

He's capable of pulling something out of nothing once in a while. like this
    Golazo from Ruiz last year:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMe7WFtZOZM"]YouTube- carlos ruiz golazo puebla-indios 2010[/ame]

2. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That was a real Golazo:) I read somewhere that he broke his contract with Puebla so that he can sign with Aris cause he was eager to work with Cuper.

3. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see why Cuper fell off.

4. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know you Adu fans are sad/upset about his situation, but come on. Now you suddenly know more than Cuper also.:confused:

5. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    :eek:

6. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham are in preseason training with first preseason game next Wednesday against Brentford. Does any one know if Eddie Johnson is training with the team? On their website they still have him listed as a first team player.

7. Panzer1945

Panzer1945 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    LA, CA
    You have not been following Adu on Big Soccer long enough......If a coach play likes Adu, he is the best coach ever that knows how the game of soccer is played. If he does not....well this is what happen LOL. It is nothing compare to those attacks against Ricardo when Adu was at Monaco....now that was pure comedy.

1 person likes this.
  8. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Here we go again...

Let me straighten things up a little bit cause you seem disoriented.

1. Ruis is a striker
    2. Campora is a striker
    3. Adu is a midefielder that can attack really well
    4. Campora was payed 250K a year (he signed a renew for 400K)
    5. Ruiz will be payed ???K (let's assume around 400k to continue the discussion).
    6. Campora left club for personal reasons
    7. Ruiz is Campora style. A goal scorer with no particular physique or other abilities.
    9. Ruiz came in the place of Campora (they are the same age)
    10. Adu had nothing to do with us taking ruiz. For Cuper, Adu is a left midfielder, period. He is the boss.
    11. Adu was payed 600K
    12. We are looking for a left midfielder that can help the team more than Adu (value for money...).

Simple as that.

Edit: Fulham asked for 700K for Eddie. We hope we can pressure them to lower their demands. We are in the middle of a financial crisis and we are not rich at all...So we will wait and see if we can have an understanding.

9. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    For the record, as uninformed as you think we are, we are aware Ruiz is not a replacement for Adu.

10. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That clip of Clark kicking Ruiz? Clark did get a 6 match ban for it, but basically, the widespread reaction around MLS fans was.... "Well, it was Carlos Ruiz." When he was good, he was pretty good by then MLS standards (which are higher now than then), but he plays VERY dirty and dives more than Greg Lougainis.

Your opponents will hate him; you may love him (in that skanky, walk-of-shame, beer goggles, "i feel so dirty...but I LIKED it!" kind of way)

11. party1234

party1234 Member

May 4, 2010
    Riverside, Ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time I saw Ruiz he was waived/cut by Toronto, was out of shape, and couldn't score a goal. Maybe he found some better form, and Aris fans better be praying this is the case, because the Ruiz I previously saw was a waste of space.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    When he is not a walking blob, he is actually a fairly strong striker who can get his shot off in tight spaces as well as head the ball off a cross.

About a decade ago, he also had good acceleration but most of that seemed to have vanished over the years.

If you get him the ball in the box, he'll score.

13. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Carlos Ruiz is one of the most prolific goal scorers in MLS history and was a force from 2002- 2008 (regular season and playoffs). Some jerkoff injured him in 2008 and he never recuperated in his time at Toronto FC and second stint w/ the Galaxy.

He was given a shot in Paraguay w/ Olimpia where he lost about 30 lbs. and shone very bright, (10 goals in 18 games) then he transferred to Puebla.

He played decently in Mexico scoring about a goal every 3 games, at times struggling to get shots because of Puebla's mediocre midfielders. However, when he did score, they were world class goals.

Eddie Johnson can't even hold Carlos Ruiz' jock strap. If Ruiz really is going back to the Greek league I expect him to be one of the leading goal scorers.

2 people repped this.
  14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was planning on being there

"I'm just getting ready to go back to England," concluded Johnson. "I'm still a member of Fulham and I'll be with the team for preseason starting July 7th."

15. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    You must be joking!! Are we Mother Teressa or sth? Such players can't be getting more than 200-250k from ARIS.

Regarding Ruiz, based on our signings' success rate, there is a 5% chance that he will do sth...

By the way, I guess signing Ruiz means we forget about EJ I think. Thus, EJ vs Ruiz, some non-sentimental opinions would be appreciated.

16. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you're each thinking of different currencies?

17. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I don't think so. Being both Greeks and given that Euro is the main currency in European football, we both possibly mean Euros. Not that it makes that much difference today, as 1EU is about $1.25 these days.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much everything there is to say about Carlos Ruiz has been said. He is a diver and dirty player. He can be a useful striker for Aris; I believe he was doing well in whatever league he was playing before this.

But almost all US soccer fans hate him with a passion.

19. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Ruiz is nicknamed "The Fish" or something like that because he flops around and dives everywhere. You can get away with it in CONCACAF, but not Greece. He is older and slower now. I really don't see how he could be effective in Cuper's system. He may have caught on in Mexico, but that league is widely known for having lax defense. He'll face more teams who pack it in and/or have higher quality defenders in Greece.

Friggin' cool jerseys though.

20. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Would an ideal situation for EJ to move to Aris, but if its does not happen I hope and do hope EJ fights hard to either start or be part of the bench every week for Fulham. EJ has been improving due to his loan and I hope he keeps working hard to reach the highest level he can get too. Rumors are Sven is taking the job and lets hope he believes in EJ to become a top striker for Fulham or impact sub.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The rumors of Sven becoming Fulham's manager are true.

The rumors of Eddie becoming Fulham's top striker are not.

22. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Ruiz is garbage and past his prime garbage at that. I've loved Clark ever since he kicked the crap out of him.

23. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

That’s what he’s probably making at benfica , aris most likely pay him only a smaller part of that salary while he’s on loan with them.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is his second time in greece.

And dont listen to the haters, he is a good players still with some left in the tank. Like i said he just has issues with fitness, and as long as you guys can keep him in good shape he'll do well. I def. could see him doing just as well as campora.

He can finish with both feet, head, anything! He knows how to earn fouls.

He did incredibly at Olimpia, and when he got to Puebla he started off strong, but over time lost playing time, and now is relegated to the bench.

He probably broke his contract cause he wanted a new challange. Europe is interesting, so he probably thought why not? He played in greece once in the start of his career, have you ever heard anything about that?

25. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Bolivianfuego

Yeah I read that he played for PAS 10 years ago but he was just 20 then and he went back to America quiet quick. Let's see, he is definetly interesting.

He signed for 2 years today by the way and he will go to Switzerland today to start training with the rest of the squad. Tomorrow we are playing Benfica.

But we can talk Ruiz in the Aris thread cause it's a bit off topic here :)