EU can impose $4bn worth of sactions on USA

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pigs, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's pay back time.

BBC

2. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    What about the massive subsidies that the EU farmers get? It is a pittance compared to what American farmers get.

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be settled out of court. Both sides have these subsides for the same reason, votes for their re-elections.

4. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    True enough. Japan is actually worse than either the EU or the US at this. And Australia complains about all of them.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it's a little more like "Protecting the jobs of their constituents"

You can call it vote grubbing or you can call it doing what they were elected to do.

I wonder how the EU plans to collect. Turn us over to a collection agency? Send a couple French legbreakers?

You don't let other countries write your trade policies, your tax policies or your foreign policies for you. If the Swiss are unhappy about this, let them declare war. Same with Lichtenstein, Andorra and Belgium.

6. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What a load of cobblers. The US pushes the WTO when it suits, but now they've ruled in favour of the EU, you want to just ignore them. You can't have it both ways.

7. Raj

Raj New Member

Oct 3, 1999
    East Kilbride, Scotl
    Let's face it, these subsidies are hurting both free trade and also the relationship between the US & Europe.
    The sooner they are eliminated the better.
    This especially applies to the steel tariffs that have been recently applied. In Europe there has been massive redundancies and consolidation in the last 10 to 15 years as the steel industry has modernised to be competitive. To now be shut out of the US because politicians are scared to take on the vested interests and undergo the same change that Europe has is not acceptable.

As far as farm Tariffs go I agree that the European tariffs are unacceptable (as are the US's).
    Primarily because removing these would do more for economic growth in the Developing world than almost any other measure.

8. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Sure we can. What is anyone going to do about it?

Alex

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now wait:

You say "The US pushes the WTO"

and THEN you say YOU want to just ignore them.

Frankly, I think the WTO is nothing more than another excuse for another bloated bureaucracy of international empire builders who don't know anything for sure except that meetings, "conferences" at five star resorts, reports and paperwork require at least 50% more money and 30% more staff than they had last year.

Don't lump ME in with anybody who even pays attention to the WTO, let alone somebody who endorses it. "Settle trade disputes" my ass. Some bunch of wogs wants to start a cartel to inflate the price of coffee or rubber or wine, fine. Some other bunch of unwashed snobs wants to put a 500% tariff on imported beef, great. We'll cut them off from decent software and make them watch French TV shows. A couple months if that, they'll be on thier knees.

10. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    switzerland is not part of the e.u.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm sure Billy 'I fully intend to rule the world' Gates would have something to say about that.

12. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When is the EU going to pay the money they promised for Afghanistan, or do they only remember things they want to remember?

13. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    probably about the same time the US fulfills its unmet promises

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And what promises would those be?

15. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I notice a theme in your posts...

16. Noonan

Noonan New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Colorado
    Thanks for checking in, President Hoover.