"Ethnic" Food

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Green Tabasco, Jul 11, 2005.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I'd have to say Italian, followed by Mexican and Chinese. And real Barbecue has to be up there as well.

2. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Shite, I forgot to add BBQ too, dammit! What kind of BBQ do you like? Texas, KC, Memphis, NY, Chicago? Lot´s of different kinds out there....But they´re all good :)

3. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    The will is done and in the safe. But don´t tell anyone that. Now it´s moderation, lame chicken breasts (yuk) and lots and lots of freakin salads. I´ll sneak a double cheese burger with bacon every once in a while, when nobody´s looking...hehe.

4. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I eat Indian food twice a year when a coworker treats the office to lunch.

As Quango states, Italian without Marinara sauce...

There are far too many Italian Restaurants that feel they have to put Marinara sauce on every dish.

There is this quaint Italian Restaurant I found in Long Beach CA that serves great Italian dishes and deserts to die for! It's a very small place with about 8 tables. It's pricey but well worth the quality and taste. I don't have issues spending good cash for tasty food.

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm obviously biased, but the only kind worth eating is Texas BBQ.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any good bbq places down here robin? ive never had real bbq (slow cooked and that jazz). i think i would love it.

7. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Try Shorty´s on US1 (South Dixie Hwy), near Dadeland Mall or Sunset Place. The line is long, that´s always a good sign the BBQ is good. The pulled Pork Sandwich is awesome.

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    will give rep when i can.

9. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I eat insane amounts of Chinese food and drink bubble tea like it's my job. There was a period this year where I was going to Chinatown an average of four times a week.

A close second is Indian, followed by Thai, followed by Korean and Japanese (And by Japanese I don't mean sushi - I'd kill for good sukiyaki and I ********ing love takoyaki). For someone who's half Italian, I don't eat much Italian food, although the lack of a decent Italian restaurant anywhere near here has a lot to do with that.

There's also some good Middle Eastern places around here that I frequent.

I go for Spanish when I can, but it's a pain in the ass to get a table at the good Spanish places in Chicago. When I'm back in Jersey, though, I hit up Newark to eat tapas and talk Real Madrid all the time.

10. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    how about Cafe Babareeba for spanish in Chicago. I have never been some people tell me it is suppose to be good. Next time you ar ein Jersey try the Spanish Pavillion in Harrison one of my favorites

11. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Does anybody else like DIM SUM? I personally love the stuff. (SP)>> Ichikao, Siumai, Hampao, Hakao etc.

If anybody knows: Is it Tea Time or Breakfast? I´ve never really been able to clear that up.

12. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    I like all different types of ethnic food. One not mentioned so far that I like is Filipino. I also some Portuguese though some people get it mixed up with Spanish

13. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I forgot to add Spanish food to my list. I tend to eat spanish food at home more often than in restuarants. For any So. Cal folks who might also like Spanish food, here is where I pick up my supplies:

La Española Meat Inc. - Creators of Charcuterie & Purveyors of Fine Foods of Spain. They are located in Harbor City CA. and have a website for internet orders.

14. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I go to the Pavillion all the time. Do they still have that Barcelona-supporting bartender that looks like, ironically, Luis Figo?

15. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    I am not sure if he is still there. another one I like in Jersey is Tapas de Espana in North Bergen on Bergenline by Braddock part entrance.

16. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    This entire thread makes me so hungry. I happen to be Indian and often had homemade Indian food when I was growing up. Often times some of the best things that I had at home were and are never on the menus at Indian places. I'm sure that the same goes for many other ethnic foods, I've heard that chinese food in the US especially is much different than real Chinese food. Really a shame since most of the authentic flavors get lost.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'm basically obsessed with indonesian food right now, but i also absolutely love greek, turkish, mexican, italian, chinese

i won't eat thai, though

18. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    Indian food ia always good.

speedyone you are right. I know in Spain many of the regions have their own specilties and you cannot find them in restuarants One of my favorities is filloas which come from Galicia similar to crepes

19. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My favourite has to be Armenian. There is a great Armenian restaurant in downtown Chicago (on Clark I think or something like that)... called Sayat Nova I believe. Armenian food in general is just so fresh and healthy tasting.

I also enjoy Czech, Moroccan, and Thai among others, but those are probably my favourite.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is that? There isn't any BBQ worth a ******** in Orlando.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way I could narrow it down to just one:

My favorites list includes:

Mexican
    Thai
    Greek
    Arabic (particularly Lebanese)
    Ethiopian
    Indian (prefer North Indian...particularly Punjabi, but South Indian is pretty good too)
    Southeastern US (particularly BBQ)
    Indonesian

haven't had enough to make it be on my "favorites" list, but I ate at a Salvadoran restaurant a while back that was unbelievably good.

22. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Miami.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. A buddy of mine is a prof at FIU and I'm down that way every now and then for a visit. I will have to check it out.

24. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Cool. He´ll know the place for sure. If you get a chance, drive south to Homestead. Authentic Mexican food can be found there. And I don´t mean Tex Mex. The real deal. Another place that´s cool is farther south (and relatively close to Miami) is the town of Marathon. You can get some really nice fresh fish dishes down there. It´s about as south as you can get from Miami, without actually being in the keys.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing Orlando is sorely lacking (at least in good quantity.) It took a while, but I found a few spots.

I need to add Puerto Rican and Cuban to my list. Good stuff.