"Ethnic" Food

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Green Tabasco, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Aside from your own. What kind of "other" food do you eat?

2. RedTommo

RedTommo New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Sydney
    Love Italian, Indian and a bit of Japanese, but where's the greatest fast food in the world ie. Turkish?!

Where would the take away world be without Kebabs, Pide, Felafel and that enormously thick, delicous brand of pizza they do?? :D

3. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    OMG. I forgot. and Greek food too! a Gyro is always nice.

4. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i didnt think falafel was originally turkish?

middle eastern food as a whole is generally good. dont forget desert, either... baklava!

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in order:
    mexican, arabic, latin, indian, west indian (jamaican/trini), chinese, thai, greek, japanese.

i think those are the only kinds i know of

6. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    No Italian asta? 3 weeks ago I ate at this place when I was in town.

http://www.openlist.com/restaurants-view-big_cheese2.htm

Order the Seafood Alfredo. Superb!

7. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Greek food is awesome.

8. Sierra

Sierra New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Manhattan
    I prefer Mexican Food. I love hot spicy food! Yum!

Now, if we were voting on men, I'd have to pick Italian :p

Teasing.

9. RedTommo

RedTommo New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Sydney
    Maybe it is, maybe not (to be honest I have no idea), but you can always get it at Turkish Kebab places eh...

Oooh and Baklava is sweet :cool:

10. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Turkish food rules.

11. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    In no apparent order these are the types of food I eat on a regular basis:

Italian, Thai, Armenian, Chinese, Japanese , Mexican of course

In no apparent the foods I eat cccasionally:

Brasilian, Argentian, Indian, German, and U.S. -- a large steak or burger.

12. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Indian, Turkish or Indonesian/Chinese/Surinamese

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Depends on where you eat it really. Greek food is great in Greece but Greek restaurants in Holland are typically awful.

14. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I said mexican, although the hardcore hispanics down here would say it's Tex-Mex. Apparently, the stuff I like is alot greasier, and less spicy. Not really a big fan of Italian, don't know why. Chinese is always good, however.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have to give a shout-out to Ethiopian. Used to really like the buffet at Ethiocafe on Clark St. in Chicago, and Addis Ababa just up the road. There's also a damn fine one in the Adams Morgan neighborhood in DC, but I can't remember the name.

Right up there, though, I'd include middle-eastern and Indian as my favorites

16. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    There really ought to be an "all of the above" option in the poll.

I love ALL ethnic foods that are prepared with ingredients that I will eat. In other words, no eyes, stomachs, brains, tails, feet, ears, any other part of the face, or tentacles (though I've finally gotten myself to eat calamari tentacles, before I'd just eat the rings). As far as starches, spices, flavors, etc I'll enjoy just about anything, just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Italian, Mexican, Latin, Indian, Chineese, Japanese, Thai , Greek, Middle Eastern, Russian, German, Scandanavian... I can't really think of other "ethnic" varieties off the top of my head.. British and American spring to mind as well.

Give me a plate and a fork, I'll tear it up!

17. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Indian food is terrific.
    I also have liked Ethiopian food when I've had a chance to eat it.

I used to really think I loved Mexican food, but I think I actually like Southwestern food which is marginally, but noticeably different.

Italian that doesn't involve Marinara is usually pretty good.

Q

18. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forgot about it. i probably would put it 2nd to last or last. there are a few things in italian food i LOVE, but most italian restaurants are cheap, crappy places. i'm sure if i went to rome i would be in love.

Falafel (Arabic: فلافل; Hebrew: פלאפל) is a fried ball or patty of spiced chickpeas, dating back to Biblical times and originating somewhere on the Indian subcontinent.

I would have guessed that it was Arabic.

And to elaborate on my choices, I am sure by Mexican that I mean tex-mex. And for latin: Colombian, puerto rican, peruvian, cuban, argentinian. argies are the best at sausage!

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the above.

Thai often being the default, though... if only because Pasadena seems to have more Thai restaurants per square mile than anywhere else I've been outside of Thailand.

20. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    You can get them at publix sometimes. I take em home, heat them in the microvave, mush them down in a flour tortilla (hard to get fresh flat bread), put huancaina sauce on them (A Peruvian Sauce) garnish with chopped cilantro. awesome.

Yup Tex Mex. Mostly fajitas and the such. I really like Cuban cuisine. Specifically the deep fried Pork chunks, they call them masas de puerco served with white rice, black beans and yuca al mojo. Every time I go to La Carreta (in Kendall) I order that. It´s a heart attack waiting to happen tho...

21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Ever been to the Bay Area, I think we got you beat ;)

Indian, Sushi, Thai and Mexican. Nothing beats an ice cold lager with a killer tikka.

22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damnit, I need to get my ass to Miami and get me some $4 almuerzos! :D

Also, I gotta say that Cubans and southerners (USA) do pork the best. Arabics too ;)

23. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Oh man. Masitas de puerco.

That and those greasy chicharrones the Cubans love so much.

I've cut back over the years. At the pace I was eating them at in my younger years, I would be dead by now.

24. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Aw, man, me too, I´ve cut back alot.
    I used to eat cuban chicharrones washed down with a whole Colada (Cuban Coffee, it´s like liquid cocaine) every day.
    Imagine that? Greasy crunchy REAL pork rinds washed down with coffee so thick and rich and loaded with soo much sugar that a spoon will likely stand on its own. Oh, and smoking at least 3 marlboro´s before leaving. Living on the edge in those days. Good times.

25. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Hope you've made out a will...;)

When I visit my parents, they still buy the chicharrones and the masitas and/or a big pierna. We're not Cuban, but living in South Florida, it's hard to ignore Cuban cuisine. About the only time I eat that stuff now. Once, maybe twice a year. It's for my own good! :D