Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He came into the promotion match in the 89th minute last year when the 1st string keeper went down injured. Makes for an interesting piece of trivia.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Forget it Jake, it's Ethantown.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just going to soak up the moment and be happy for Ethan and Luton going up. I’ll worry about his future when the time is appropriate. Luton going up is one helluva a story. Insane when you think about it. Ethan is a big part of that story. A story that is now historic. My Hat (pun intend if you catch my drift) goes off to them. It takes the sting out of - what looks like - three Yanks going down with Leeds.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High FA Luton indeed

freisland, Dervos and Winoman repped this.
  5. Eshsoccer

Eshsoccer Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Again you will be proved incorrect. LT has an option to buy and will buy him as their #1. They will spend $ on new striker and midfielders.

Winoman, Dervos and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So it shall be written, so it shall be done!

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm not sure I want Ethan in the EPL with Luton. It may become a massacre.

8. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    "We don’t take loans, but we felt that when there’s an opportunity to really improve, then we take that gamble and then we always try to get an option, so there’s things in place that if we would like to make it permanent then I’m sure we can.

"We haven’t taken many loads, we had (Kiernan) Dewsbury-Hall, who was a fasticai success, so when we do take them we really handpick them."

Luton boss, last fall, speaking about Ethan.

:thumbsup:

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm curious what the financial situation will be at Luton Town next season. If they don't want to spend, then that's arguably a strong argument in favor of trying to bring back Horvath. Transfermarkt lists him at 1 million. I'd imagine that Nottingham Forest think they can sell Horvath for more after a successful season for both themselves and Horvath, but not a gigantic amount more.

He's had a strong last 14 months. He was the clear backup for Samba at Nottingham Forest, but then started a very strong 7 matches in a row (4 wins, 2 draws, and 1 narrow loss to Liverpool) at a moment that Steve Cooper was frustrated with Samba. He was perhaps unfortunate that the international break came at the moment that it did.

Then he comes into a new side, starts 44+2 matches in the league and playoff, as well as 3 FA Cup matches.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Does anyone know what's up with his diction? Did he speak a different language as a kid?

11. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    He speaks English with a Hungarian accent and influence.

12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Ethan sounds like a robot. I’ve never encountered anyone who has spoken like Ethan before. I somehow doubt other Hungarian-Americans or Hungarians who learn English sound like that. I suspect he’s just kind of dweeby.

tomásbernal repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maybe he's a Martian:

In an answer to the question of why there is no evidence of intelligent life beyond Earth despite the high probability of it existing, Leo Szilárd* responded: "They are already here among us – they just call themselves Hungarians."

----
    * Discoverer of the nuclear chain reaction, that made A-bombs and nuclear reactors possible.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Fair point though it's quite interesting.

Does he return to Forest to be their backup?
    Does he return to Forest and get loaned to another club in the Championship?
    Does Forest just sell him altogether?
    Does Luton buy him to be their no.1?
    Does Luton buy him as a back up option?

ChicagoVT repped this.
  15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They signed him on a free, he's only got 1 year left on his contract and is surplus to requirements.

He'll be cheap, which is what Luton need. The question is he good, as in EPL-level good, which is what Luton need more.

With their record, Luton Town will be the best judges of that. If they sign him, he probably is/will be

16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Luton are going to continue to play they way they do.... I.e. win aerial duels and knock downs in the midfield on long passes then I think they should find a way to keep Horvath. He will be cheap and I think they need to spend their money elsewhere to compete. But if they decide to start trying to play out of the back then they would be better off w/ another keeper. It would be a big-time bummer to win two straight promotion playoffs and not be able to pay in the EPL.

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it depends on the price. If his option is cheap, like a couple mill, sure, why not pick it up. They could use cover at keeper. But I doubt he'd be their primary option from the outset, based on not being overly convincing this season.

I think he's capable of that based on past history in the Championship (albeit limited), Belgium, and the UEFA Championships; but he hardly had a banner year for himself in spite of the rhetoric. All that was better was the stability of his situation. Everything else was worse than typical.

It will probably be in the best mutual interest of himself and his team for him to play another year or two in the Championship, on a permanent w/ one of their better clubs who are just in need of a keeper (Swansea, Brom) in which he could fare better if he feels comfortable in his role from the start. He just came from being a long-suffering backup. He doesn't need to thrust himself back into that situation from being getting too big for his britches.

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    When NFFC won the play-off last year they were able to bring in Dean Henderson and then Kaylor Navas.... starting keeper EPL spots are very very prized and Luton Town will probably be able to attract someone on loan or for purchase with more quality than Ethan.

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not up for debate. Of course there will be GKs interested in playing for Luton next season. It is just a question of the cost.... and again, if Luton plans to play the way they do then they don't need GK that is great with his feet. They just need a shot stopper and a guy who can kick the **** out of the ball w/ accuracy. I think Horvath fits that bill. But we shall see. I am not even giving him a 50/50 chance of staying.... and yet, I think the chance is measurable. Maybe about 25%.?.?

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Leo seems kinda dim for a genius...
    That said Notts *had* to bring in Navas, and top-level keepers who just happens to find himself at the end of his career and out of sorts at his big club might not always be available right when you need them. Seems like it will all come down to price and options. Henderson is valued at, what, 20-30 mill or something bonkers? Sure clubs *can* snag two good keepers in the course of a year on the cheap, but it's not always as easy. NF are supposed will to take Henderson's 110k a week to keep him. Dunno why ManU would loan him again, unless they see a future for him there, but even that's not chump change. (and I doubt it happens)

21. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have a hunch Ethan is neural atypical, just given his speaking cadences and eye contact (at least early on in his career, he seems to have gotten much better, maybe with some coaching). But maybe it's just a case of immigrant parents and then moving to a foreign country at a young age and having to simplify and clip your language to be understood.

22. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not. But they certainly could use a really good shot stopper because there's absolutely no way they'll allow anywhere close to as few shots on target next year in the PL as they did this season (2.76/game) and no way the chances they allow will be as poor (see their PSxG/SoT which was actually lower than any team in the PL). And frankly Ethan was pretty much an average CHAMPIONSHIP level shot stopper this season...I fear for what he'd look like in the PL on what will almost certainly be one of the weakest PL sides ever fielded. Not to mention Ethan's issues commanding his box/dealing with balls in the air.

tomásbernal repped this.
  23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Idk that Ethans parents are immigrants… and he moved to Norway… where he was probably interacting mostly with people who spoke perfect English

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath will get demolished in the EPL if he ends up there next season. As you note, his command of the box is poor, and that alone will have him end up in a whole slew of "WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!?" keeper mistake highlights. Past that, his hands aren't very good, either. Easy rebound goals will be abundant in the EPL. I can't see any way where Horvath will look remotely good in that league.

25. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    He does speak like English isn't his native language. Sounds a bit Canadian, actually.

tomásbernal repped this.