Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. IMO, the Europa heroics will catch the attention of top flight clubs, but it will take consistent excellence across a season or two to convince them to pay big for him. Teams just don't need a deep pool of GK.

2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must have missed it! Thanks!

3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's fine. He will devlop getting consistent playing time in Molde, especially with some European games. It's ideal and no rush to risk playing time by moving too soon or to the wrong situation.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nyland's also the starter for the Norwegian National Team, and Molde's consistently been playing in Europe.

I'd prefer him to stay for playing time reasons, but striking while the iron is hot might be a smart decision for him.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think playing in Europe made much of a difference for Nyland. During his tenure at Molde, they only ever played in CL and EL qualifiers. It doesn't seem likely that his performances against Sligo Rovers and Zorya Luhansk made a big difference to his market value.

Being a top keeper in the Norwegian league and starting for Norway were both much more important.

Compared to Nyland, Horvath is on a somewhat bigger platform since he's in the group stage and is playing against three historically big clubs. He's only three European appearances behind Nyland, with four group stage games remaining. This is all good for him in terms of experience and in terms of getting exposure, but league games and any NT activity will be the primary avenues through which he'll need to prove himself worthy of a move to a bigger league.

I think Horvath's goal for this season after Nyland's sale was to play well enough to convince Molde not to bring in serious veteran competition in the winter. I'm far from a Molde insider, but it seems like he's accomplished that. The next step is to move up the ladder among the Tippeligaen's GKs in 2016 and establish himself as one of the top keepers in the league.

Tom Collingsworth, (TxT) and Winoman repped this.
  6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

He does not have enough appearances to make their season ranking, but with a few more he would rank fifth among Tippeligaen keepers in the VG ratings. And he would be within shouting distance of third (which is currently held by Jamaica GK Duwayne Kerr).

His season total is at 5.17 (you can find him easily by clicking Molde in the league table).

http://vglive.no/#frontpage=20151006&eliteguiden=s-borsen-sid-706

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview at CONCACAF:

http://www.concacaf.com/article/u-s-u23-gk-horvath-earns-praise

Seems his parents moved to Norway with him.

“I’m really excited to be here,” he said. “It was a very special moment for myself and for my family because my mom and dad sacrificed two years of their lives to come over to Norway and help me out, to make my dream come true.

Testudo repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They play Celtic tomorrow at home.

12. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Ole Gunnar Solksjaer has been confirmed as Molde's manager (again).

He was manager at the time when Ethan came over and that would seem to suggest he is a fan of his.

This is likely going to prove a good thing as the Molde fan's I've spoken all see him as an interim after Nyland's departure to Inglostadt. It's almost certain that they'll bring in someone with more experience next year but given his great form this year and a manager that has faith in him I think he'll get a fighting chance to retain the #1 shirt.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No offense to them, but Molde is not a top destination for the best GK's around Europe. Why would they try to bring in someone that can take the spot of one of the best young GK's in Europe?

Besides, didn't that newspaper rank him as a top 5 GK this season in that league? Why would they need to replace him when he's doing very well at a very young age for a GK?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I haven't watched him outside of the Europa League so I really don't know why they've said this only that they have.

I'm not saying they should replace him, I think it's to both party's benefit to play him and develop him further, but there must be some reason mulitple Molde fans have said this.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you just call Ethan Horvath one of the best young GK's in Europe?

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd put him in the top 10 of 20 or younger GK's in world football. If you disagree, can you name ten better?

Our fan base has such an inferiority complex. Why can't we believe that one of our players might be among the best at his position in his age group? Thats so hard to believe?

17. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I think it's not weird to expect Hovrath to be replaced, given that Molde is regarded as the best Norwegian team. I don't know that I'd expect it but if it happened I wouldn't be surprised.

18. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think it is hard to judge whether or not he really is a top 10-20 talent in the world when we have only seen him in a few games. Regardless, being a 20 year old starting keeper is very impressive since keepers are usually late bloomers. That being said, if we put him in the age bracket of "younger keepers" like 19-24. Then you are putting him in the group with Leno, ter Stegen, Rico, Perrin, etc. I think he can be in the 10-20 of that group.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I can't name 10 better. I don't even know 10 young GKs in Europe. I think Horvath is promising but he's playing (well) in a very low ranked league and the Europa League, which is also not amazing.

I guess he could be one of the top 10 GKs under 20 in terms of getting significant PT at a pro level now, but there must be many other prospects around that age that are also well-regarded.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not comparing him to Courtois, ter-Stegen, Leno, Rico. Those guys are among the best in the world. He's not close to that.

If we are to compare him to guys his age who are just starting out in their first season or two of getting first team minutes, I think it would be hard to come up with ten better than Horvath.

So even if he's 15 or 20th, Molde's a pretty low level, like you said. The very top GK's in Norway's top division probably aren't much better than him right now and if he continues to develop, he'll probably get top Nyland level in a season or two where he's easily the best GK in Norway. It just doesn't make sense to buy over someone who's probably going to be better than anyone in two years that they could realistically sign right now.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it wouldn't really make sense. I guess those fans are less optimistic about Ethan and do not think he will reach Nyland level in a couple of years.

22. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah because you are adding a lot of qualifications that make that number of players to be very few. And I agreed with you anyways, not sure why your response was such...

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Goalie is an important position in soccer. We need to have at least one.

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI the game against Celtic is on ESPN3 in Spanish at 3pm Eastern today.

25. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Just in case there was any doubt, lineups are in and Horvath is indeed starting.