Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo repped this.
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it time to start speculating which bigger club Horvath needs to move to immediately?

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo, (TxT) and Winoman repped this.
  4. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Tom Collingsworth, Deeneaus and mike4066 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wasn't joking when I watched him for the first time with Molde this summer and immediately said that he should be called up to the NT. IMO, he's one of the four best we have at the position. I also wasn't joking when I immediately said that he's better than Steffen who I rate highly.

Horvath is a special talent. He doesn't get it but he should be getting the same hype as Miazga. With that said, I wanted to watch today's game but wasn't able to. I don't doubt that he played well. He has every single time I've watched him play for Molde in the past few months (5-6 times).

6. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I had to watch that ten times to realize how good that was. And now I have that announcers call stuck in my head.

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    coming back across goal saves are some of the best.

8. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I know I've given you a hard time elsewhere but you nailed this one. Makes sense that Molde didn't release him given this game.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made Europa Team of the Week

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first time I saw Ethan play was as a 14 yr. old and my jaw literally dropped. He was so quick off his line -- so composed -- that it was scary. I am not kidding when I say his presence and command of the box was, at that time, on par with any respectable DI college GK. Ethan was that good. I knew he would be a special player one day. It's come sooner than I expected but having seen him grow up in my backyard it's no surprise. I said it then and it still rings true --- he has the athleticism of Howard and the positioning of Friedel.

12. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    This is awesome, thanks for sharing.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He reminds me so much of Courtois. He's tall for a keeper, has incredibly long arms and he's skinny. His reach allows him to dominate aerially if he just makes smart decisions, and he does that most of the time.

bballshawn repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And Courtois' physique has always, always reminded me of Van Der Sar. They play similarly, too but Courtois might have a slight edge how quickly he can get to ground. Finally with Steffen, Horton, and Horvath coming thru the ranks, I can breathe a little easier after the likes of Howard and Guzan fade away. I'm not one who's been overly impressed with Hamid and Sean Johnson -- call me crazy.

soccersubjectively and comoesa repped this.
  16. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree having Horvath come along this well is amazing, but Hamid is a really good keeper now. Horvath probably will surpass him or maybe already has, but Horvath just needs to do this for a full year before I commit to that.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mentally, is where I question Hamid. He just goes all ape shit on those around him and it's appeared, at least in the past, to really cloud his judgment and threw his game off. This season, I admit, he's kept his temper in check and it's been better but I have to see it pan out over time to really believe it. I do think that Hamid has those Howard like reflexes that just amaze you time and time again. Agreed that Horvath needs a full season to really, really jump on board but it's coming, I can sense it. Just imagine if Bob Bradley lands at Molde.....................

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loco. Don't know how often you watch Hamid with DC United, but the stats say he's worth almost a goal a game and I feel like he's being shortchanged there. My guess would be that with an average keeper (which is what Dykstra is, the backup) instead of 45 points DC would be in the low to mid 30's.

19. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the stats that say Hamid is worth a goal a game?

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goals allowed per 90 minutes? Over .8 fewer for Hamid than his backup. Saves per 90 minutes is pretty comparable (about 10% higher for Dykstra)

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is a Horvath thread so quickly, there have been 1.38 goals scored per game this MLS season. Hamid is at 1.04. Also Dykstra went 4-1-4 (wtl) for a 1.5 PPG team in 2015. GAA is more of a team stat than gk anyway but you'd have to be on a really bad team to be saving a goal every game.

I'm not as huge on Hamid/SJ as the masses are but grouping the two isn't really fair anymore. Hamid has clearly pulled away.

I would expect Horvath to surpass the field but he does need more time. We should be thankful for our Norwegian friends who continue to develop our goalkeepers.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd like Horvath to stay another season with Molde, but the problem is how much will another good season at Molde help him get to a better club. They likely won't be playing in Europe next season. Does playing well in the top league in Norway really help a player get interest from top European leagues?

They might qualify for the next round of the Europa League, which might be a reason to stay beyond the winter transfer window.

23. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Yes, playing well in the top league in Norway absolutely helps a player get interest from top Euro leagues. Especially if they stand out like he's been doing recently.

Keep in mind: Molde sold their previous starting GK Nyland to a Bundesliga club this summer as well as selling a defender to Marseille, so I'd say that Molde itself is very well scouted.

24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Horvath play over the weekend?

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he kept a clean sheet in a 4-0 win.