Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, kba4life and Winoman repped this.
  3. Ontnr

Ontnr Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Molde usually isn't a club that's chasing desperately after money - although they and their sponsor will take anything they can get of course.

I know what Rosenborg can expect to make (not net!) off a possible Europa League qualification which is around 6 million euro give or take quite a lot depending on several things such as attractivity of the teams they draw and results. Prize money comes in stages, for each round in qualification, for advancing to the group stages and for the results in the group stages as well as advancing from the group stages.

Norwegian teams will split the TV pot which is estimated to be at around 2 million euros. So if both Molde and Rosenborg qualify, they will each make 1 million less compared to an exclusive qualification.

Molde will make less cause they'll sell fewer tickets. They're also less likely to produce good results and advance.

For Molde, both european qualification and the hunt for a european spot in the league are important and potentially season saving - to some degree. If they fail at either, they'll be disappointed. It's always good not to have to wait at least two years for the next european campaign, and not advancing with 2-0 in the first leg will of course be devastating.

I've seen Horvath in some games. I've seen lots of good stuff and some not so good stuff. It's hard to tell just from a few matches when it comes to a keeper, but being as young as he is, the potential is clearly there and I think he is held in high regard. He needs to work on his shorts fasion though. They sit legally high.. Linde has been, let's say "unlucky" so far, but I've heard very good things about him from Sweden. Whether Molde goes for an established keeper depends on their new manager and the stability of their young keepers through the season. I would have focused spending on other areas.

4. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Horvath is starting today in the 2nd leg vs. Standard Liege in the Europa League.

5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    3-1 loss, and the 3-3 aggregate is enough to advance to the group stage.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats good news. Playing well in the Europa League could get him a move to a bigger club and a chance with the USMNT. When is the Europa League draw?

7. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
  8. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
  9. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got drawn with Ajax, Celtic, and Fenerbahce in Group A.

11. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    That could be tough if those teams actually try.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I suspect that Europa League revenue will be a priority for all three of these clubs. It's generally clubs from big leagues that don't put their best foot forward. If I'm right, that's an extremely tough group.

Horvath isn't in the 18 today. I'm guessing that this is related to his participation in the US U23 camp.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath is starting in Molde's Europa League opener against Fenerbahçe in Istanbul. Molde is surprisingly up 3-1 with 15 minutes left.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched about 60 minutes of the game. Pretty good from Horvath. I would've said excellent, but he misjudged one cross which gave a Fenerbache player a good chance to score, but the guy scuffed it, although the angle was not great. The goal wasn't his fault. Really nothing he could do unless he wanted to risk a red card and PK. Besides that, he did well. A few difficult saves and everything else was pretty routine.

Molde was much better than Fenerbache. They sat back, but they were much better defensively and were much more efficient in the final third. They only had about 40% of the possession, but created more chances and better chances than Fenerbache. I don't know why they are doing so poor in their domestic league this season. Maybe a Dortmund-esque season for them.

BostonRed repped this.
  17. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a huge win

18. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    About the game against Fenerbache:

"It was different from other atmospheres I've played in. It was the biggest stadium I've played in."

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got that "6 saves a game" thing down pat.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting against Ajax right now i n Europa League.

22. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    deflection goal 4 ajax

23. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    saved a clear cut chance

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should probably make a separate Gameday thread, but I just wanted to put this in here:

8 D. Hestad (Molde) scores! Hestad becomes the oldest goalscorer in the history of the UEFA Europa League as the 40-year-old provides the finishing touch from close after Etzaz Hussain teases a cross into the box from the right.

19 Fischer (Ajax) scores! Ajax level after Viktor Fischer lines up a shot from nearly 30 metres. It takes a big deflection off Daniel Hestad to wrongfoot Ethan Horvath and find the net.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ended 1-1, Molde is top of the group with 4 points from 2 games.

UEFA.com matchtracker had this to say "Eirik Hestad's opener was cancelled out by a deflected Viktor Fischer goal before some Ethan Horvath heroics in the home goal kept Ajax at bay and the Norwegian side at the section summit."

soccersubjectively and Winoman repped this.