Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Today I Learned

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this list of 17 random highly paid goalkeepers?

3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I'd be happy to see him go to a Bundesliga club where he has a realistic shot of claiming the No.1 jersey. Problem is, there aren't that many jobs. There are only 18 clubs and how many are unsettled in the GK position? Being willing to go down to the 2. Bundesliga with some of the big clubs currently down there opens up a lot more opportunities. I'd be happy to see either.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, the highest paid keepers. The average starting keeper salary in MLS is about $400K. Horvath would easily get $500K+. No way he gets it in BL2.

theboogeyman, Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why should a now-NT goalie - who's just come up really big in an NT Championship game at that - with 2 league Championship medals in his own right (1 Belgian and 1 Norwegian) and excellent performances in CL group stages be limited to Germany? And why on earth is BL2 so prominent in everyone's conversation?

A GK with that resume should target - and be of interest to - sides in Ligue 1 (Lille are certainly in the market), the bottom half of Serie A or la Liga, the Top 5 in Holland and Belgium, the Top 4 in Portugal and Turkey, etc. And if Berhalter starts him in the Gold Cup - which he should anyway - he qualifies for an English WP, which is yet another reason for Berhalter to start him.

His only requirement in contract negotiations has to be that he is guaranteed to start the first 10 games of the season. After that, it's European competition. Salary is important, of course but if, say, Dinamo Zagreb offer $350k and HSV offer $600k, he should probably take Zagreb if the buyout clause is low enough.

6. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nice list of MLS GK salaries. Definitely competitive with many leagues.

But the avg salary you cite for 2BL is pure fantasy.

The lowest paying club, Wurzburg Kickers had an average salary of 315k Euros (around 383k USD).
    Their three GKs, btw make 250, 225 and 125, again, euros.
    The highest paying club, HSV, has an average salary of 1.48 m euros. Their GKs make 1.5m, 600k and 200k Eros respectively.
    Düsseldorf also pays their top GK 1.5m. Many other BL 2 clubs pay their top GKs at least what Guzan, the highest paid in MLS, makes.

you can make the point that MLS has competitive salaries (for the best players) without tearing down other leagues.

None of this is advocating for BL2 as a good league for Horvath. I, like others, believe he is above it.

7. How much is Nick Marsman at Inter Miami making?
    I was pissed he moved on, as he was extremely good in replacing our injured first goalie Bijlow. So good even, I thought he deserved to be called up as a reserve Orange goalie for the Euro2020 in 2021.

8. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Horvath get a work permit now under the revised rules? Dike got one off a single cap.

I hope he can find a club in the next 30 days and then go into preseason to lock in the starting spot. Turner, Johnson, and Ochoa can handle the Gold Cup.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Has to be at least what he was making at Feyenoord right? If so it will make him the highest paid GK in MLS.

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLs goalkeeper salaries are higher than I thought but you are way off on BL2 salaries. Acaerage BL2 is like 500k euros.

butters59 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Horvath recently specifically mentioned Germany in an interview as a place he'd like to go... hence the German centric conversation.

Why mention the 2. Bundesliga? There are only 18 Bundesliga teams. Only 18 opportunities to be a starter and how many have unsettled GK situations? It's a small number of clubs/opportunities. The 2. Bundesliga has quite a few historic/big German clubs in it this season. Including those clubs adds more opportunities. Look at S04. The GK situation there last season was suspect and AFAIK is still suspect going into this season. It's not beyond Horvath to play at that level for those clubs.

Horvath largely sitting on the bench for the last 2 seasons at Club Brugge with a few sporadic USMNT appearances isn't too big for a No. 1 opportunity at Bremen, HSV, S04,H96 etc... etc...

If a No.1 spot at a Bundesliga club presents itself, great, but I wouldn't rule out the 2.Bundesliga either. You seem to be fixated on that for some reason and not fixated on the part where I said a Bundesliga No.1 opportunity would be great too.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    One Nation - Get a clue
    One Team - It's not BL2
    One Fixation - Second to none
    One Dream - Must be BL1

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I hope the MLS GK numbers are more accurate than your BL2 average salary, because it's more than double that - about 430k Euros or $450k.

The last year that I have reliable numbers for was 2019-20, when Koln, Union Berlin and Paderborn had just been promoted to BL1. That season, Koln were paying an average of 1.2 million euros in BL1, Berlin paid 700k and Paderborn paid 450. Paderborn are a very low-budget side, even by BL2 standards, and all 3 teams would have had promotion clauses activated, new players brought in, etc. but none of them would have raised their average salaries by 100% because they'd been promoted

LouisianaViking07/09 and butters59 repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ethan Horvath to Tottenham? What is he thinking? Does he not ever want to be the #1?

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make good points here, but if Horvath has intentions of taking the number 1 for the USMNT then surely he knows he's going to have to be playing in a quality first division somewhere--and he definitely is a good enough goalkeeper to do so. There may not be clear openings in the 1.BL (I don't know anything about this, but let's just assume that for argument's sake) but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't be clearly better than some of the existing starters. That's how it works, anyway; new players are signed and push past starters out of the lineup.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe because Germany is an open league. He doesn’t have to worry about a work permit or how many nonEUs a club already has.

17. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    From what I can tell, this is just a Spurs fan blog making the case that Tottenham should purchase Horvath as a backup.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is there no interest at all? I know it's only been a week but damn.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rumors always take a bit of a dive during the Euros.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3870 The Irish Rover, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    I'd say there's been plenty, but no actual deals put on the table. It may be because Ethan wanted to get the Nations' League over before getting down to business, or because the clubs don't want to show their hands just yet. To use Michael Kinsley's old line, on a few occasions "there's been a kiss on the lips, but no tongue" - yet.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, club needs can change after a big tourney -- injuries or players earn a move based on performance.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southampton need a better goalkeeper and Lille just transferred theirs. You have to think there are still really good clubs that would take a look at him.

Hell, I’d rather him go to Portimonense than be Tottenham’s bitch keeper.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #3873 LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I know this is likely to start a shitstorm but I honestly wouldn't mind him joining an MLS or a Liga MX side. As long as he's the starting 'keeper, it doesn't matter, and any half-decent MLS side would be an upgrade on a cellar-dweller like Fortuna Shitthard.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Continental Europe countries have no disclosure rules, so getting the real numbers for salaries is almost always speculative, unless the player tells it in an interview.