Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Horvath played the first two league games of the season, back in July/August, away @ Beveren (1-3 Brugge win) and at home vs. St. Truiden (6-0 Brugge win).

As for transfers and loans, the world is waiting to see where our civilization and its economy stand once this is over, then people will start putting pen to paper.

autobus39 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Think our priority lies with which clubs fold and which clubs can scoop in the transfer free players.
    Get your priorities in the right order my friend;)

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    it's going to be a buyer market, that's for sure.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Assuming a buyer has something like the $$$ he did in December. That's not guaranteed. Anywhere.

The EPL is looking for wage deferrals - Eddie Howe and Graham Potter have already taken pay cuts - and pay cuts are coming for the simple reason that the broadcasters 1) aren't going to pay for games that haven't been or won't be played this season and 2) are looking a at a tsunami of cancelled/not renewed subscriptions for next season.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rrals-what-are-the-premier-league-clubs-doing

If that's the EPL, you can imagine how other leagues will be affected.

tomásbernal repped this.
  5. Leagues with minimal tv deals like the Dutch, are less affected as the paychecque is in line with the revenues. It's easier (still tough) to scale down in budget 20% when that budget is 65 million (= minus 13 million), than it is to scale down from 200 million (=40 million). And that is only regarding the TV money. Those epl clubs, the big ones, have sponsor deals with a caveat, like CL/EL presence. If the current situation continues and next season CL is not on it will cost for instance ManUnited 100 million in sponsor money. That's not including gate revenues of the matches and the bonus of the CL revenue itself. They could look at a hole in their budget going up to 200 million.
    What will it do to the lower epl clubs, when the value of the epl tv contract goes down? Remember the epl sells as advertisers are keen to buy adds for the slots around those epl matches. Those sponsors are taking hits in sales of over 70%. They're not going to buy those slots for the prices they paid yesterday.
    Corona changed the world.
    I wrote it before in several threads economically we're in unchartered waters and our economic models are unfit for what's happening now. Just today I saw on a Dutch business tv show a strategist of one of our big banks say the same. Nobody knows what's going to happen as we've never experienced something like this.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

TV is less important in these places sure, but ticket revenues will be down because fans who've been out of work for 6 months (optimistically) are going to balk at paying 2019-2020 ticket prices on 2020-20201 salaries and with job losses looming, or ticket prices will be reduced to keep the fans engaged and the stadia full. It could be both, of course. Then there's the question of whether sponsors will renew and, if they do renew, whether they'll renew at the same amount. Basically, everyone is screwed. It's just a question of who's screwed the most.

tomásbernal repped this.
  7. Ticket prices in the Dutch league arenot high at all, so I donot expect much damage in the sense of what you wrote.
    Sponsorship can be a problem, but only for the lower clubs in the Dutch league.
    PSV has a sponsor deal with a consortium led by a company that has a technical and commercial monopoly that the WH baboon uses military vulnerability sa a means to stop them exporting machines to China in order to prevent China to be able to manufacture state of the art products.
    So PSV has a rock solid sponsor.
    Ajax more or less too. Feyenoord has more difficulties with that but fairly safe too.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i wonder what his agent was working on until the world went tits up

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3035 The Irish Rover, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Officially, maybe not in terms of official documents and confirmations sent to, e.g UEFA, sponsors, etc.

That said, governments are going to take the matter out of the hands of the leagues and the FAs. Holland hasn't been as badly hit as Belgium, but the government has just declared that all outdoor events with large crowds (concerts, parades, commemorations, etc) have had their bans extended until September 1st. The KNVB have said the no more games will be played as a result, and that they're going to consult with UEFA and have a conference call for all clubs on Friday to sketch out what to do going forward.

UEFA are warning leages - and have already warned the Belgian league - that cancelling their seasons or not fully completing them could see a league sent to the dog house, i.e. excluded from autumn's CL and EL draws but if too many more governments follow the Dutch lead, then UEFA are going to need a much bigger dog house

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Dunno if this is going to happen. The Dutch (and I guess the Belgian too) gouvernment doesnot want matches behind closed doors in corona times as these matches will need police control to keep people away, and that's not a desirable situation. Germany seems to be heading towards closed door matches, ...I guess Germans are more obedient.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany had that problem, too, when they were considering whether to play closed door matches. They were worried about large crowds of supporters outside the stadium.

ShortyMac repped this.
  12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3038 autobus39, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Back on April 2nd, the Jupiler Pro League's board of directors agreed to cancel the remaining season. However, UEFA then threatened to ban clubs from European competitions if their league season was terminated early without attempting to play all matches. As a result, the decision to accept the proposal to cancel the remaining season was put off on three separate occasions until today when it was accepted by the General Assembly of the Belgian Pro League. The Belgian government has cancelled all sports until the end of July.

Horvath made 2 starts during the 2019/2020 First Division A campaign. Club Brugge have been declared champions and have qualified for the 2020-2021 UEFA Champions League group stage.

Horvath has also made 1 start in the 2019/2020 Belgian Cup in which Club Brugge has advanced to the final against Royal Antwerp.The league and federation still hope that the final can be played. Based on the government's decision and UEFA's request to finalize the distribution of European tickets by August 3rd the final would need to be played on August 1st or 2nd.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If I were an entrepreneur in Europe I would build a floating football pitch. Each team can quarantine on their own yacht (Chelsea will have the nicest.) Pull up, disembark with no fans on their own gangway, play the game - no fans, you're in the ocean - and then they go back on their boat.

Yeah, I just saved football. You can thank me later.

Heck, someone's got to have an old aircraft carrier we could use.

I'm starting a go fund me.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think the lacrosse league has taken an interesting approach.

https://premierlacrosseleague.com

All the teams will come together at a single venue (college campus, iirc) where the teams will quarantine.

freisland repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would imagine hockey could do something similar. Probs will have to: cuz of 14 day quarantine.

16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's literally what MLS, NBA, NHL and MLB are all currently discussing to finish or continue their seasons.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The universe has really got something against him. I wonder if he still has foreign interest.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    https://www.germanijak.hr/vijesti/b...kalinic-i-sluga-u-nezavidnim-pozicijama/74473

Karlo Letica, on the other hand, went from someone who was allegedly interested in Real Madrid to being the reserve goalkeeper of SPAL today after losing the "unit" in his Club Brugge . The talent is undeniable, but the "boy flies" are still present in the head and must be dealt with very quickly, otherwise it could become one big "what if" story.

Jazzy Altidore and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never lost the boy flies in my head.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Been 8 months since he's played

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    mfn.jpg

TxEx and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    One would hope from his GF, at least.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    https://www.voetbal24.be/news/61597...en-zet-drie-spelers-tegelijk-op-transferlijst

Club Brugge does a big cleaning among the goalkeepers. No less than three of them will leave this summer, the newspaper Krant van West-Vlaanderen knows.

Guillaume Hubert, Karlo Letica and Ethan Horvath are allowed. Hubert was loaned to Cercle Brugge last season, which wants to lend him another year.

Letica was loaned to the Italian SPAL. He has no future at Club. Hajduk Split is now mentioned. Horvath was also the second goalkeeper at Club. Since he still has a one-year contract, now seems the time to get rid of him.