Etcheverry in Bolivia Trying to Get Son Out (Goff, 10/24)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hezbolt, Oct 23, 2003.

1. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I understand Marco's motivation 100%.
    I hope he makes it back in time to play,
    but most importantly, he gets his son here safely.
    Via Con Dios, Marco
    Mark

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Good luck to Marco and his son.

WIN IT FOR MARCO'S FAMILY!

Sachin

3. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    A First

Even I feel sorry for Ray now.

Hope he has better luck as a color commentator than he's had as DCU's coach.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a few more that don't shy away too much from what caused alot of the mess in Bolivia (US):
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/23/international/americas/23BOLI.html?th
    http://www.narconews.com/Issue31/article885.html
    http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/308/bolivia.shtml

I feel for Marco. I wish he was here and everything was fine, but you can't argue his reason for being away. Someone on the team (paging, Bobby Convey, white courtesy phone) needs to step up and say "I'll take the team to the playoffs, follow me" and take control of the game. We really need to take it to theses bastards tomorrow.
    Goff said nothing shocking, I disagree .... I was shocked and I hope Marco (and his son, etc.) make it back in good health.
    Oh, and that DC United win !!!!

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sobering news. Best of luck and lots of prayers to Marco and his family.

6. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Shady Thicketts
    True, which is why I'm curious so many people are pissed at Warren for attending his brother's wedding a few weeks back, when he had let the team know of the situation 6 months earlier?

Not trying to start anything, just curious...

7. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    I wish Marco and his son a safe return. Family comes first. <worried face>

8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Unfortunately, when someone has volunteered to lead this season, it has not been like the end scene in Braveheart where "The Bruce" leads the Scottish Army to victory but more like the scene in Braveheart where Wallace leads his small band forward but the rest of the army doesn't move... :(

Win one for Diabolito (sp?)! Bring it home for Etch!

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes to Marco and his family.

Time for the team to pull together and win this game.

10. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco in Bolivia

My heart goes out to Marco, his family, and all of Bolivia. I hope that if Marco is retiring that this isn't the last we see of him in a United kit. To me, Marco is United! One question thought, can his son play like his dad, and if so can you say Discovery Player?

11. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Damn, my mom left down there last week, 2 days before the President was kicked out.

I knew what was happening, and tried to keep my mom from going, but she went claiming she knows her people better then me. Last time I spoke to her, she claimed she was having the time of her life.

Almost 70 people died, but from what I hear, most of the encounters were between euro decendents in Bolivia vs the indigenous people. ONe group was asking for electricity, running water etc, as the other group couldnt stand to live with out shopping or work for another day. They didnt mix well.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I believe the problem is getting his son out of Bolivia, not getting him into the US.

"Minors (under 18), who are citizens or residents of Bolivia and who are traveling alone, with one parent or with a third party, must present a copy of their birth certificate and written authorization from the absent parent(s) or legal guardian, specifically granting permission to travel alone, with one parent or with a third party"

I don't know if this adds anything or not.

13. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was all for Warren going to that wedding (if, indeed, that's what happened) so as you can imagine I'm even more in favor of Marco getting his son out of what could be a dangerous situation. And frankly, it's not up to us to judge how dangerous the situation is. I'm sure he knows more about it than we do.

That said, I can't help but be shocked by the poster who said that Marco should play instead of fetching his son. Honestly, I've seen some cold things said on this board but that has to take the cake.

And one more thing, it's irrelevant how old the kid is, why he was there, and the status of the relationship between Marco and the kid's mom. The only thing that matters is that he's Marco's kid and for Marco that should come before anything. Including, believe it or not, his fans.

14. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    Fer cryin' out loud! It's just soccer--it's not like it's important.

I hope Marco returns safely with his son--he's got more important things than the game to worry about.

15. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I'll stand by my previous post. Although I admit that none of us know exactly what is going on.

If Marco's son is in any imminent danger then he is absolutely right to go down there and bring him back. There is some serious instability and political upheaval going on there. But for Ray Hudson to say that Bolivia is a "war-torn country" is typical Hudsonesque over-exaggeration.

The photo caption in the print version of today's Post says DC United expects him back for today's afternoon practice. If that's true then I would say there's little harm done.

But I also continue to value Marco's on-the-field contribution to the team. We're missing Dema, Ben Olsen and possibly Earnie Stewart for tomorrow's game. So I'd like to see the likely starting midfielders have a chance to prepare together.

16. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    As the resident Warren basher I can just add (hopefully without further extensive discussion) that I see this as different simply because this is a family EMERGENCY and not a pre-planned event. Etch had no idea that Bolivian internal politics would flair up into deadly violence. We will also not have to fly a player in that has never played on this team before to replace him. We have capable (even if not ideal) backups.

I wish Marco the best, and hope he and his son arrive back soon. (Ideally this Friday :))

17. stevengoff

stevengoff New Member

Feb 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    *Marco was not at practice today. The team says he's flying back tonight and will be at the game Saturday.
    *Stewart practiced but still a game-time decision.
    *Geddes out with back injury, so the roving goalkeeper was activated.

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    nothing like your own "surplus labor pool" to keep wages and rosters down.

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it works for WalMart :)

So we can safely assume Etch will now be only available as a 60th+-minute sub (unless we see him on the bike during the first half, then 46th minute).
    I WOULD NOT start Hristo, he plays crappy first halves and gets us doing all the wrong things. He does much better off the bench. If Earnie's not ready, that leaves us with very few options, except FORCING Bobby to play that position instead of letting him decide when he's ready. Q2 can play left mid, someone else can play right.

20. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    stevegoff = [​IMG]

thanks.

21. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    this time it is different and dangerously so. this, regardless of race of economic status, is the worst. i hope it doesnt really get out of hand, but if it does, we are in for a long, ugly stretch.

22. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK &amp; EL MADRIGAL
    marco dios te bendiga a ti y a tu hijo

on another note can things get worse for us?

23. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How did Jose get Bambule's password?

;)

24. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :D

Careful you may be next! ;)

ps-Glad to hear that everything has been resolved and Marco is coming back in time for the game.

pps-Thanks Steven!