Etch stays in DC

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLS3, Dec 23, 2002.

1. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31052-2002Dec23.html

He's going to make $400,000, 270K of which counts against the salary cap (nice that they've been willing to disclose above cap salaries this year).

Etch is one of the best players in MLS history, maybe the best. But he's a totally average MLS starter at this point, worth at most 70-80K. I'm just not sure MLS can afford this. Do you tell the great players to go to heck or do you keep paying them for past services? This is also terrible for the teams. I can see this happening with Meola in the near future. The hardest part of the salary cap isn't players that emerge and demand more money (i.e. Twellman), but guys that hang around making a bundle without producing. DC has been suffering this for several years. Getting rid of Moreno helps, but being stuck with Etch at 270K!!!

Of course, there have been instances where MLS will say SCREW YOU (see Wynalda), but the major stars have been doing pretty well. Etch, Moreno, Stoichkov, and El Pibe come to mind. Does anyone think that Etch is currently worth $400K? Does anyone think that DC United couldn't have found better players for this price?

3. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Threads merged

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Fire fans, anyway.

This deal stinks from a DC United perspective, methinks.

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i don't see that, to be honest

and the next trade (if it goes according to plan) would be a blow to the fire, dema has the ability to carry the team... yeah hristo is old and slow, he's got some moments though... but dema would hurt

and then we would still have to make another trade

but i do see most of these trades as things these teams must do... it's a great chance for now for th metros; for united, it gets rid of underperforming max players, keeps the defense strong, and allows the offense to be rebuilt, while keeping it's lynchpin; for the fire... we gotta get under the cap, and we gotta do so and do as much positive for us that we can... losing dema hurts, but it gets us a good prospect... if he ever pans out

it'll be interesting to see it all playout over the course of the year (after the trades are done... to help figure out who got the best of it now)