Establishing a Local Supporters Group

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by WiscFan, Apr 25, 2013.

1. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milwaukee needs a grass roots effort to the scale of the Sons of Ben, the Indy Brickyard Battalion, Borough Boys or the San Antonio Crocketteers.

There is no magic wand here, but it needs to start somewhere. We'll need an identity, mission and a few meetings among a long list of other important matters. Below are just a few starting points, just to get the conversation started.

Identifiers/Imagery/Names:
    What names should we go with for our supporters group? My personal feeling, not being from Milwaukee, is it should be an identifier that is statewide. That way the Fox Valley, Madison area and Milwaukee area can feel a part of the bigger picture.

Well for starters we could go with our state flag.

Flag Imagery and Symbols: agriculture, manufacturing, a minor, mining, a sailor, shipping and Forward (state motto) {not specifically on the flag but dairy - "America's Dairyland"}
    Date: 1848
    Colors: Blue with yellow and white lettering

We do not need to use any of these images, but my thoughts were to use them at least as a starting point.

Another thing to to keep in mind is should we we overlap with our other sports teams: Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and Packers?

Teams / Leagues:
    At this point I'd support anything the plays professionally for 90 minutes. Yes MLS would be the ultimate goal, but I'd support a NASL (preferably) or USL PRO team.

Anyone interested in actually getting something started instead of waiting for someone else to, please send me a message. I'd like to reiterate I do not have all the answers on how to get this off the ground, but I'm tired of waiting for something to happen.

2. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a statewide identifier why not focus on something to do with Wisconsin's brewing history?

3. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be to close to the Brewers identity?

Wish I had a great idea, but for some strange reason my creativity is blocked or hung up on the Mad Cows (play off of mad cow disease and America's Dairyland).

Cyclonis repped this.
  4. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be a bit close, but it's not like we're naming the SG the Brewers.

Maybe the name could be Brewmeisters?(or Braumeisters for extra German flare) It taps into the brewing history of the city, and the large number of people around here with German roots.

Or maybe the Dairyland farmboys? There aren't a whole lot of farmers in the city though...

5. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the lack of farmers inside the city. And the only issue I have with the Dairyland Farmboys is not being gender neutral. If we go Dairyland, possible colors: black and white (with red trim - for the iconic red barns).

I prefer the Braumeisters over the Brewmeisters. Not too sure about the colors. Cream, amber, steel and copper stick out when I think of brewing beer or the beer itself.
    ---
    Also, once a few more folks come on board (hopefully a graphic designer), we should start setting up meetings to form our identity and mission in further detail. I'm sure we could find a Milwaukee area bar to meet up at; The Highbury, Caffery's Pub, Upper 90 etc.

6. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it necessarily has to be gender neutral. Sons of Ben isn't and they seem to do alright. Also those colors sound good.

For Braumeister colors I was thinking Amber (for beer), Steel (Represents Wisconsin's manufacturing history), and blue (State flag)

What do you think?

WiscFan repped this.
  7. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Braumeister's colors seem to go well together. I like the identities and colors we're putting together. Once there are more (or actual) members, we'll want to have a good pool to choose from. Hopefully we'll have 3-5 options once the final vote actually happens.
    ---
    The next step is designing the structure of the Supporter's Group. At first we may start with a committee. Eventually we may have a full board with the appropriate leadership roles and non-profit status. Obviously this may take years to accomplish (if ever).

8. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forward '48. (Wisconsin's Motto and the year it was established, 1848).

The Choices (so far).
    - Braumeisters
    - Dairyland Farmboys
    - Forward '48
    - Mad Cows

9. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Forward '48 the predominant color should probably be blue like the state flag.

I think the colors that we had for the Dairyland Farmboys would also work equally well for the Mad Cows name too.

WiscFan repped this.
  10. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping for a few more people to jump on board, but either way let's get this going. This is my first stab at our next steps.
    1. Reach out to potential members
      1. Facebook group "Bring Professional Soccer to Milwaukee"
      2. There are already good programs in the area (Marquette, UW-Milwaukee, FC Milwaukee, etc). It wouldn't be a bad thing to let them know we're getting off the ground.
    2. Set a formal 1st supporters group meeting - time and place (local bar?)
    3. Work on the shared agenda (I don't have all the answers, so I won't pretend to)
      1. Establish a Name
      2. Define Our Goals
        1. Short Term: crest and colors, create a mission and membership parameters
        2. Long Term: host / co-host World Cup viewing parties and working with and showing a potential ownership group Milwaukee (and Wisconsin) can support a professional outdoor soccer team (realistically we should aim for NASL or USL PRO, obviously MLS would be our ultimate goal, but we need a track record first)
    4. What can folks do until Milwaukee gets a team?
      1. I think we could take a page out of the Free Beer Movement. Just getting the conversation started is key.
      2. Once we have an identity we could make an effort to go to the MLS Draft Weekend?
    Hopefully we can have something of substance by next year's World Cup. Here we go.

11. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name ideas (from an American living across the pond in Germany):

Rhinelanders
    Old Copper
    '48ers
    Superior FC
    Traders
    Iron Brigade
    Old Abe (mascot of the legendary 8th Wisconsin Infantry and sits atop your Wisconsin Memorial)

Personally, I think something to do with Old Abe would be great...sounds kinda like Sons of Ben. Plus, Old Abe has such an amazing story.

But you shouldn't ignore history...Bayern Milwaukee is an established club that probably needs supporters.

Just some thoughts from an MLS fan who wants every worthy city to have a team.

12. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your list, Iron Brigade has a nice ring to it. And Old Abe also gives a similar narrative as the Indy Eleven. To go off your '48ers we could evolve the Foward '48 to Forward '48ers or Forward '48s. Milwaukee also has a Harley Davidson history, the Biker Boys / Girls has some good visuals.

On a personal note, I follow the Eau Claire Aris, Madison 56ers and Milwaukee Bavarians on facebook (just to keep in the know), but living at least an hour away from two of the three cities I find it hard to justify the drive for NPSL. Even though my preference of NASL over USL PRO, I would drive the hour for Division 3 soccer and up, not Division 4 (NPSL or PDL).

And who knows, in the future Fond du Lac could actually host the 3 Wisconsin based NPSL teams for a State Cup of sorts. It would be easier on their "commute". Eau Claire is the furthest at 3 1/2 hours away.

13. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, some personal problems distracted me from this thread for a bit.

I like the Iron Brigade idea myself, it has a very nice ring to it and has a good tie to Wisconsin History for the entire state.

Also they were scrappy SoBs, which always lends itself well to sports imo.

14. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's after the holidays. I'm thinking our next step is to set up a meeting time and place. I'm also wondering if the Milwaukee Soccer Development Group (https://www.facebook.com/MILSoccerDG) would like to come on board. They primarily help with youth soccer, but it would seem they might be interested. And for that matter the Northern Front 316 of the Wave as well. They might be Wave specific though.

It just seems Milwaukee is too big not to have some group pushing for professional outdoor soccer in the area.

15. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milwaukee Soccer Development Group would probably be the best bet since, if we do manage to land an MLS team, they could possibly be rolled into their academy.

Even if they didn't want to be, it would help youth soccer in the area immensely so they would be helped by proxy.

16. Shawn Rank

Shawn Rank Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also jump on board....is there a facebook page?

17. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no Facebook page yet, I think we're waiting to get more members before we start one.

At this point we're just spit balling ideas.

18. MilSoccerDG

MilSoccerDG New Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC

19. MilSoccerDG

MilSoccerDG New Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Hey Lads,
    Interesting conversation. I'm with MSDG and would welcome the conversation.
    Let me know if you'd like to discuss further.
    Cheers,
    James Moran

20. Caleb

Caleb New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    #20 Caleb, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    There is a Facebook page set-up with the intent of starting to get together some supporters for a Milwaukee team. We are interested in following what Philadelphia and more recently Indianapolis have done to secure a team for their area. You can find us at Bring Professional Soccer to Milwaukee on Facebook.

In the coming weeks it would be nice to get some people together to really get this thing going. There seems to be a lot of good ideas and it would be nice to get people in one room(or Facebook page) to really discuss. I have a few people interested in meeting already. Look to the Facebook page for meeting dates and updates.

It's time to get this going.