Essien wants to go to Chelsea.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by mhtwins113, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its funny how the game you brought up as an example was against Liverpool and not United, which was the comparison wasnt it? Were Duff and Robben healthy for the Pool Game anyways? Duff is more of the right wing than robben, robben>Giggs, Lamps>Scholes, makelele>Keane

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice relevant on topic point

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    What I'd like to see is soccernet/espn address to quality of their reporting. Do they really think we're so caught up in the silly season that they can print one thing and then a week or two something completely opposite without the readers noticing? I don't mind rumors but this is just getting annoying. What's next? Emre to join Sunderland? Rednapp returning to Pompey? Morihno to admit that he's spinless snake that would cheat in any way possible? Pure craziness.

4. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA
    It sure as hell is from my point of view ...

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Kenyon is in France. Essien will be done and dusted by Thursday. Seriously, are we going to play our hand in the transfer market now or what?

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I thought you already had.

7. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA
    What would that be ... surrender Obi??

8. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Bit early in the off season for you to be so bold. Such a triumphant statement would be more apt for CL registration day.

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    cruel, cruel.

Now don't you have Brazilian vacations to go complain about. ;)

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Not really. I had genuinely thought given the "we spent next summer's kitty on Rooney" and two players coming in you were done.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney being part of "next summer's kitty" was almost as believeable as Smith and Heinze being the only purchases for last summer. Or us not planning to buy a striker in January 04.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I assume you're hoping to be proven wrong - we shall see. However, given the lack of transfers this year and the fairly quiet transfer market, I wouldn't be all that surprised if you were mostly done. Plus, all of last year's calculations were BG - Before Glazer.

13. Crestofthestars

Crestofthestars New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    To be perfectly honest I wouldn't be surprised if we are done now. We've plugged the two glaring weaknesses in our squad. Particularly given the healthy state of the reserve team.

The only other thing we could do is bring in a central midfielder. But to be honest I suspect that will happen next summer. When Keane is fit he plays it is that simple, so if we brought in a new midfielder either he is sitting on the bench for a year waiting for Keane to retire, or Scholes is, or we re-jig the formation and play with one striker, or whatever. It only makes sense to replace Keane when he's actually gone, unless there is some amazing unmissable player on the market right now who we can't afford not to buy. I don't see one.

14. triplelake

triplelake New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Maybe Fletcher or Jones will come good next season...

15. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Initially, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gl*zer bring in a big name to quell the masses and make him look good for a little while. In fact I don't expect the takeover to affect much on the pitch for at least the first season, maybe the next as well. We might be done this summer, but then that's what we assumed last season until the final week.

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could be a bad idea though, waiting for Keane to retire before finding his successor. Someone who wants to be the engine of a team like United will almost certainly need a year to adjust to the team's playing style, the nuances of his teammates, and possibly even the English league itself if he is a foreigner. That kind of CM role isn't really the kind of role where you can simply slot in and pretend that nothing ever changed. When the run of play is expected to go through you, its a lot of responsibility.

If SAF is to be believed, David Jones is pegged for that spot. I haven't seen the kid play, but obviously people at the club think highly of him. For our sake, I hope they're right. If not, we'll need to splash out for that position in the way we have twice previously.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's assuming there's a "big" name out there to be had. However, no one's selling that kind of a big name at the moment.

18. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing hopeful at this point is that sources from within the club are supposedly predicting the signing of Ballack--the same sources who were talking about the sale of Beckham well before it happened. How much that means, I'm not sure. But yes, there don't look to be nearly the moves this season that there have been in the past, even if I do still expect another big move to Old Trafford. Of course, other than a Keane successor, most fans are fairly happy with the personnel we have at this point in the first team and youth squad.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    When has that ever stopped a transfer?

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    What would you do with Ballack? :confused: He can't play with Keane and Scholes. Good luck there - I'd have thought Veron would have been enough.
    At any rate, I don't think Ballack will move, but if he does, he will at least teach Cronaldo how to dive more effectively. :)

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Look at your own club for the answer to that.

22. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keane won't be around forever, and we need someone to play the two-way midfielder position that Keane quite frankly hasn't played much since 2002.

The danger, as you stated, is that he becomes another Veron, especially given his tendency to lack toughness when it counts most.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    So you're going to rotate him and Keane? :eek: :confused: Good luck there............
    Ballack needs to run the show for his club - that's why he was unsuccessful at Bayern at first. With Keane, he won't get the chance.

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's saying he won't get the chance to run the show at United? And who mentioned rotation? Keane in 2005 is a different player from 2001--hopefully both he and SAF recognize that.

25. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Our major transactions have always happened late in the window, usually August even, so there are no chickens to be counted yet.