Essien another Drogba

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by icemike49uk, Jul 4, 2005.

1. icemike49uk

icemike49uk New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Middlesbrough
    I think chelsea should get essien and get ripped like they did when they got drogba :cool:

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The difference is that although Essien is over-priced, he is still a much better player than Drogba was.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If getting ripped means finishing first in the EPL with the most points ever and just missing out on the CL final - OK.

4. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    yea look at pascal cygan at arsenal, u cant call him a flop because he played for a team who went unbeated for a whole season, won the league and just missed out on the CL finals. LOL alright mate
    get a grip

5. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    fuck me but do you always have to mention the bit about chelsea breaking the record season points?

i mean it's not that big of a deal, if arsenal didn't get complacent the season before we would of smashed it easy sunshine, pffft.

6. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's inconsequential if Drogba ever fulfills the price that was paid for him. The money that was paid for him has no effect on short term spending and wages. If Arsenal buys a dud at that price then it means something as they don't have the resources to buy a replacement.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'd rather not ******** you (a universal sentiment), but its a nice statistic. :)

And if you'd lost the game to 'Pool you might have collapsed again instead.
    If you aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You didn't just miss out on the CL finals - you were beaten by a better team in the quarters. But I digress.
    If Cygan was a starter for Arsenal, you'd have a point. But, of course, he's not. True, Drogba could be as bad as Roque Jr. was for Brazil. But he wasn't. He was only poor relative to his price. And since the price is irrelevant to Chelsea, so is your post.

9. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    nope im just saying that didier drogba had about as much influance on u having a good season as pascal cygan had on our great season of 03/04, irrelevant of price

10. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    but it's relevant to the rest of the football world.

11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    sorry, but wrong.

it's really silly to compare an attacking midfielder and a striker, but a fit Drogba will score 20+ goals for Chelsea next campaign.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You can easily do it, particularly when the main consideration is value for money.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If you didn't watch us play, you probably shouldn't make such silly statements.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    When Chelsea is not concerned, perhaps. But they are. So the money spent is, once again - I R R E L E V A N T.

15. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    So Essien is overated. Is that why Wenger didn't sign him and signed this Help from Germany? My bad, he also signed the new Pele.(Robinho)
    August is coming fast, You haven't done any significant signing.
    It will be same old Arsenal, shuffling keepers while depending on old school Bergkamp with Henry stealing free kicks on the side.

16. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    which cave did you crawl out from?

17. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No shame. :rolleyes: I just threw up a little in my mouth reading that. I can't wait till Roman gets thrown in the dock for crimes against the Russian people, Mourinho deserts you and you lot are on your knees begging Ken Bates and Claudio to come back.

18. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    Ashburn cave.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Sigh. Good luck with that "crimes against the Russian people" ********. I'm not going to bother pointing out yet again that 99.9999% of people who make that claim don't have a ********ing clue about what Roman did or has done.
    As for your post - its even more irrelevant than the first one in this thread. Because the point is that it doesn't matter how much money was spent on Drogba relative to his market value, because $$ isn't a constraint for Chelsea at the moment. You may dislike that, but its true. Feel free to whine about it if you like. But realize that judging Drogba as a "bust" because we "overpaid" is stooopid.

And now that ZANI's here, I'm out.

20. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    this is just not true

21. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Essien is good, but there is no way that he is worth more than 26 million pounds. Lyon is trying to rip off as much money from Chelsea as possible; however I question whether their tactic will work because there is a limit to how much Chelsea is willing to get ripped off by. So, chances are Chelsea is not getting Essien, at least not this year.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You're right. 99.99999 was excessive. 99.999 is a much more accurate number.

23. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Saying that money is irrelevant to Chelsea is not entirely true. Any excessively large transfer fee will have knock on effects. A player who sees himself going for 25 mill when in reality he's 1/2 that may well see himself in the 25mill player bracket and demand the appropriate wages for his contract. Other players in the team will then want equivalent wages to that player. Other clubs selling players to Chelsea will look at Drogba and say "hey we can sell xxx to them for double his worth too", and then they too may demand larger wages. Now this isn't a problem for Chelsea at present because they're basically a bottomless pit, but remember they have a 5 year plan (how Russian) to become financially viable, and if this is what they want to do, spending huge sums on overpriced players will have a knock-on effect for the future.

24. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto

What difference does it make if money is a constraint for Chelski or not? If when buying Drogba, Chelski expected him to score less than 20 goals last season, then he wouldn't be a bust. They certainly expected more than that, so he has to be viewed as somewhat of a bust, for last season anyway. Calling a player a bust overall after one year in a new country is pretty unfair.

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Game, set, match.....excellent point! Arsenal coasted during the later part of the season.