Essentials for a Soccer Fan's Media Library

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by greenbill, Oct 16, 2003.

1. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I am trying to build on my collection of soccer books, videos, documentaries, etc. Some of my recommendations are:
    "Fever Pitch" - book by Nick Hornby
    "Napoli Corner" - documentary on Maradona at Napoli
    "Boys from Brazil" - BBC documentary on Brazil '50 - '86
    "Hero" - 1986 World Cup documentary

Please post other items you think should be in a fan's library.

2. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    I would recommend The Miracle of Castel di Sangro. I'm not sure who wrote it, but it is an American author and it is an excellent read. Another that I wouldn't say belongs as an essential part of somebody's library is titled: Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football. Again I don't know the author-I know he's English.

3. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    The second book is about what the title says it's about...Dutch football. Not an essential but a very good read nonetheless

4. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    The 7 disc DVD set: History of Soccer. Excellent production and background. Plenty of extras like every single World Cup goal and early footy footage from the 1800s. You can find it here:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=SON030427

"Football Against the Enemy" book by Simon Kuper. This document's the authors travels around the globe while studying how football is affected by the regions' culture and politics. Interesting read. Very hard to find as well.

5. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Thanks, I've been looking to read up more on the Dutch. Other then watching the national team and Ajax play in recent years, I really can't say I know alot about Dutch "total football":eek:. I thought that finding some books and videos would be a good start.

Anyone ever seen a soccer video called "Clockwork Orange"? (no, not the movie with Malcolm McDowell) I think I remember seeing it for sale in catalogs a few years ago, but can't find it mentioned anywhere now.

6. John Boy

John Boy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Staffordshire
  7. gibby

gibby New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ohio, USA.
    Anyone else who has the History of Soccer/Beautiful Game DVD set, where do you find the extra feature where you can see all the goals of the World Cup finals? I see it listed on the side of the box, and have heard people talk about it, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe watching them in the small hours of the morning wasn't such a smart idea;) So if any of you non-insomniacs out there could fill me in, I'd be greatful.

Thanks.

8. gibby

gibby New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ohio, USA.
    I found a link in the Business and Media forum that details all the Easter Eggs on the 7 DVD set for the History/Beautiful Game. Go to the Extras menu in each section, and right arrow accross to the moon on the right hand side and select that, or so I've been told. The link in the Business and Media forum details all the hidden features, but still no sign of the elusive "Every goal in the history of the World Cup finals..." feature listed on the box...anyone who can try and look around with all this now would be appreciated since I'm away at school til the weekend and won't be able to mess around with all this til then.

Thanks.