Essential Soccer Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jose L. Couso, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Question...

I am looking for a book about soccer that goes over the tactics and strategy of the game with focus on the professional level. Every book about tactics and strategy is geared toward youth/amateur coaches and I want something that explains it from a professional level.

Is there such a book out there, I searched this thread and did not find a mention of one.

Thnx

2. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Never read it, but this might be the sort of thing you are after
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flat-Back-Four-Tactical-Game/dp/1890946524
    scroll right down, as well, for "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" and also "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" there are a few tactics etc books there

3. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could use some suggestions: I'm looking for books about the history of footie in America, preferably pre-NASL. I'm particularly interested in pre NASL leagues and footie in places other than New York & St. Louis (already read those books!)
    Thanks all!

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Chances are that'll be a very short list of well out of print books...

5. Kevin Alexander

May 27, 2004
    America's Dairyland
  6. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
    These are probably the two best available books on the history of U.S. football and the pre-NASL leagues.

[​IMG]

Wangerin's book is excellent and is available at the U.K. amazon site.

[​IMG]

I don't own Jose's book and it is available at the U.S. amazon site.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  7. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
  8. UMich Soccer Fan

UMich Soccer Fan New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I have been looking online for a soccer book I saw a couple years ago. It is a book of photos from around the world of soccer. Kids playing soccer, fields, teams, players. I think the cover has a picture of a man carrying a net across a field.

I've looked everywhere online and can't seem to find it. It was a GREAT collection of the WORLD of soccer in all different forms. Anyone know of the book I'm talking about?!

9. Little Sigur

Little Sigur New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Nando Dalla Chiesa - La farfalla granata

the amazing story of Gigi Meroni. (italian)

Great football writers in spanish: Fontanarrosa, Jorge Valdano, Osvaldo Soriano, Eduardo Galeano, Mario Benedetti, Santiago Segurola...

10. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

Essential book for any Australian fans, or those interested in how the game has developed here. Warren was our Captain in the early 70's and went to the WC with our first appearance in 1974. He was constantly pushing for reform both within the game and from the media etc outside the game to give the players and fans of "soccer" more respect. This is his story of how the game was treated here until fairly recently and the changes - both good and bad - that occured in the game until early this century, the story of 32 years of heartbreak as Australia always seemed to miss out on qualification at the final hurdle and how "Soccer" in this country always was the sleeping giant that the media kept shoving in the background. The book is obviously Australian centred but it would be interesting to read as a comparison with the American experience.

Johnny warren was a much loved figure here and was the first sportsman to be given a state funeral in Sydney on his death (Sir Don Bradman has since been given similar in Adelaide - the only other sportsman to get this treatment). His death was, unfortunately, just before we qualified for '06, and this is why one of the commentators shouted Johnny Warren's name as we slotted the final penalty passed Uruguay when we did qualify, and why the words "I told you so" were on so many banners at the game.

11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need good books about clubs in Eastern Europe, mainly the old Yugoslavia & Czechoslovakia. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    cheers

By the Way: The Ball is Round is out-frickin'-standing!

12. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo: Triumph and Tragedy in Nazi-Occupied Kiev

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed it. There's a pretty large section on former Yugoslavia:

[​IMG]

Here's the jacket description:

"From the pock-marked streets of Sarajevo, where turning up for training involved dodging snipers' bullets, to the crumbling splendour of Budapest's Bozsik Stadium, where the likes of Puskas and Kocsis masterminded the fall of England, the landscape of Eastern Europe has changed immeasurably since the fall of Communism. Jonathan Wilson has travelled extensively behind the Iron Curtain, viewing life beyond the fall of the Berlin Wall through the lens of football." "Here, in Behind the Curtain, Wilson covers a vast amount of ground: he goes in search of the spirit of the Aranycsapat, Hungary's 'Golden Squad' of the early fifties, charts the disintegration of the footballing superpower that was the former Yugoslavia, follows a sorry tale of corruption, mismanagement and Armenian cognac through the Caucasus, reopens the case of Russia's greatest footballer, Eduard Streltsov, and talks to Jan Tomaszewski about an autumn night at Wembley in 1973."

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The book Chazsoccer recommends is very good, and I've never heard of the one Nicodemus recommends, but I trust his judgment.

The only other thing I can think of is Simon Kupar's Football Against the Enemy. There's 50 pages or so about soccer behind the iron curtain. It's not much, but Kupar is an excellent resource.

15. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just requested the first 2 from OhioLink, and I own all of Kuper's books. He's great.
    Thanks for your help, mates!

16. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    [​IMG]

Dr. Wankler brought this book to my attention and I think it is worthy.

17. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

While a fictional work written more for a teenage audience, I reccomend this book to goalkeepers, to those who might be related to a goalkeeper, or to anyone trying to get some level of understanding of what it is like to be a goalkeeper. Set in football mad England in the 1970's it is an entertaining read.

GOALKEEPERS ARE DIFFERENT
    by Brian Glanville (a UK Journalist)

18. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Jamooky - the two books mentioned above might be of interest (I have not read them so I do not know how good they are).

19. donttread22

donttread22 New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The Best Chester, PA
    Don't know if anyone's said this, but More Than Goals by Claudio Reyna is a great read if you're a fan. It's his autobiography, but it also contains some coaching tips as well.

[​IMG]

20. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Any info on what this about at all? I looked it up on Amazon and there are no reviews and no summaries for it.

21. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Bye Bye Soccer" is a collection of 11 short fictional stories originally written in Brasilian Portugese. The stories tell of the evolution of soccer in Brasil and were also written as a social commentary/protest about soccer and life in Brasil. It was published during the military dictarship that once ruled Brasil. (circa 1980)

The was first publication translated into English and was released in 1994 - some 14 years after the original Portugese version was published.

22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right guys, I need some more help for yet another paper I'm going to write for a class. I need some books about Italian football during the Mussolini/Fascist era. Any book that explains how Il Duce used the sport as a platform for his own nationalistic agendas or how the sport was used as a political tool would be great! Of course, I should call it calcio instead of football, just like Benito would have wanted me to!

Of course, I do know that Fascism is still celebrated by some (like Di Canio), so anything contemporary about the subject would also be great!

Thanks in advance.

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    This subject is covered quite well in the 6 disc DVD set "The History of Football"

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I still need to track those down.

Jamooky: The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football (or Soccer in the US edition) is a big book with a good index. Get your librarian to get it for you.

This book is in my local Barnes and Noble, but I haven't read it. Sounds like il Duce makes a cameo in it, too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Winning-All-Costs-Scandalous-History/dp/1568583680/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233854182&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Winning at All Costs: A Scandalous History of Italian Soccer: John Foot: Books[/ame]

If I was doing a paper, I'd read this, but since the last thing I need to know any more about is corruption in Italy, I've given it a pass.

25. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your response, but actually, I already own both and have read both. But, your right, they are quite helpful!