ESR... the new KDB?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, May 14, 2021.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a few things on yesterday’s podcasts related to ESR, and I wanted to post about them in his thread, but hello? He doesn’t have one?? OK, so he does now!!

Anyway, after his real introduction to the XI about 4-5 months ago, we watched a young star of the future become a young star of the present, in parallel to his Hale End mate Saka.

The two podcast comments were:

• Stillman said that it’s a huge feather in his cap that nobody is talking about Ozil anymore and isn’t that awesome. People on this board used to say things like “... and yet we have a gifted creative player on the payroll who can’t get a game”. Now Emile is showing pretty consistently that he’s quite capable at doing those things. At the tender age of 20!
    • Mangin and Benge were speculating on ESR’s shirt number next season, and one of them recounted how when he was asked a while ago about taking #10 he said something like “of course not while Mesut’s here, but after that sure”. So I say give the lad the shirt!!
    And one other little tidbit which influenced this thread's title...

Apparently Bukayo’s nickname for Emile is “Kev”. As in “the new Kevin de Bruyne.” And from what I’ve seen of ESR and heard of our coaching staff praising his football IQ and ability to execute difficult skills, I think there’s definitely a chance of that. :D

IIF he can stay healthy and put those nagging injuries in the rearview mirror. Otherwise he ends up more like JFW rather than KDB. What's it gonna be boy?

2. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his ceiling isn't as high as peak KDB. Probably a better version of Grealish.

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be proven right, but time will tell. KdB was let go by Chelsea when they apparently thought he was not developing fast enough, and he was older than Emile then IIRC.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Delete this thread, or face Kangaroo Court for possible jinxing.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFW. I don't really believe in jinxes... do you?

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s nothing like de bruyne for
    Me

he’s an offer wife third player, kdb imo is best as a marauding 8

but esr I feel is that foden/Graelish sort of player. Great through the middle and wide left cutting in for a slide rule pass

future great

martinelli, esr, saka with a striker ahead who can do a big of everything will be amazing

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The state of your marriage mate.

daedalus, Bluto11, thebigman and 2 others repped this.
  8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Can't remember which podcast, but one of them compared ESR to Rosicky, which is great as long as the comparison doesn't carry over to his struggle with injuries.

daedalus repped this.
  9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Rosicky is a great comparison. In my mind ESR’s best attribute is his ball carrying, which Rosicky was an artist at.

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    His one touch passing in tight spaces is damn good too.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they did also compare him to Rosicky. And I'd be pretty happy with that too.

But the point of the comparison to KdB or Ozil is not that he will be a carbon copy of either. But it's that he could potentially have a similar impact, as a central attacking player who can drive, pass & score great goals. And maybe just maybe reach the same level as those others reached at their pinnacles. (yeah de Bruyne could still go higher yet)

The other thing I've seen over the years is that the tendency to pigeon hole a player positionally when they're young, is oftentimes a mistake. Give them several years to try out different roles before they (probably) settle into one or two specialties. ESR is still only 20!

12. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho was his manager. Go figure.

daedalus repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    offensive wide player

and my marriage has more highs and lows than a depressed weed smoker

14. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Blink twice if you're not allowed out on Monday.

daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    or ties, we’d, thurs, fri and the weekend?

footykid repped this.
  16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Mourinho was a fool for that. I understand Salah and Lukaku sales. Salah needed to go to Italy to become what he is now. Lukaku was beast but Diego Costa couldn't be benched. KdB was winning accolades in Germany with Werder and was benched for an aged Lampard.

I wasn't surprised at his success at Wolfsburg and City honestly. I've monitored him since youth and his trajectory was always going up.

He's got the last laugh as he has won more league titles than Chelsea since and best believe in the final he will be fired up.

17. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....and as a Gooner who still has that soft spot for VfL Wolfsburg he lead us to a runner-up finish in the Bundesliga (Goddamn Bayern won yet again that year!) in 2014-15 and the year before that he had a breakout year, of course that was the same season (2013-14 season) I was pretty much exiled to Arsenal due both to NBC nabbing up the EPL that season and also due to that now-infamous "Anti-Cyber-Crime" "ICE" virus I got in my PC which permanently sank my Wolfsburg streaming habits on MATCHDAY ONE of all things, on out match away to Hannover!!!, so yeah, he is that damn good.

18. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa keep offering bids for ESR. I don't like this.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was some talk about this on the AV podcast yesterday. The general consensus (which I agree with) is that we'd be insane to sell him. But if there was a magic price it would have to be in the neighboorhood of 100M to even start to consider doing this.

(Villa increasing their bid from 30M to 32.5M is a laugh... or clueless)

Assuming we agree on a new contract with him to stay, then we'll know in about 3-4 years I suspect whether it was a wise move or whether the injury fears about him are warranted.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva 5 repped this.
  21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly both Laca & PEA requested #10 after Ozil left.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big day for Emile today.

After getting his first call up to England seniors, he actually starts and bags a goal. (along with his mate Bukayo)

:D

maskito repped this.
  23. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I don't think he plays much like KDB from what I have seen, albeit limited vision, of KDB.
    Goal and assist for England, but it was his willingness to run and one touch passing that impressed me.

His late runs to finish are very Ramsey like. Once he adds final 3rd balls to his skill set he will be a monster. Its literally the only thing he lacks.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone considers him a carbon copy, but there are certainly exceptional attributes they share (ball-carrying, incisive progressive passing, creativity, playing both sides, etc).

And when I titled this thread at the end of last season, the reference to KDB was due at least as much to his best mate calling him "Kev" as it was to the more widespread usage of his nickname "Croydon DeBruyne" which was happening around that time I think.

Anyway, whatever his comparative profile... he's been a complete and surprising revelation in the past 12 months. Long may it last!

25. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus

Oh I mean I get the nickname and stuff, and he might have initially played like KDB but he plays a different style and role now.

We have something special on our hands with ESR and Saka.