ESPN's Wilbon tells Klinsmann to "get out of America"

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CarlosE, Jun 6, 2014.

1. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, got it, that makes sense. Well, I have no problem with ignorant people thinking it sounds insane, although I do wish he had qualified it a little more, like "We have very little chance to win" (although he sort of did with his "we have to play 7 perfect games" or whatever).

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I've always said Landon talks too much.
    Jurgen listens to what he has to say too much
    And no Brad Davis doesn't hustle on the field more than Landon.

comoesa, NASI GORENG and soccerusa517 repped this.
  3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of that is the problem. Jurgen has a right to comment on the Kobe contract if he wants, whether he's right or wrong. The problem is he used that one example to make sweeping generalizations about a "problem" with American sports in general, as opposed to good ol' Europe (where the same thing happens). As usual, the kneejerk reaction to defend everything that comes out of Klinsmann's mouth, no matter how stupid, evades the point entirely.

Berks repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What knee jerk reaction? I see a constant knee jerk reaction to dissect and attack Jurgen for every other word which comes out of his mouth.

Some are so emotional over this Landon situation it spills into zeroing in and attacking Jurgen for just about anything they can possibly complain about. Then to accuse others of a knee jerk reaction? The emotion involved here is why people are throwing around phrases like "defending everything that comes out of Jurgen's mouth" or "Jurgen apologists".

TheNearPost repped this.
  5. Crispa Redmanizers

Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Skip say anything about Jurgen?

6. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    #81 aquablue, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Wilbon actually seemed almost personally offended or else he's a stunning actor playing for ratings. I was astounded that he acted in that xenophobic overly emotional way. He made an ass out of himself on national TV and went way overboard. You don't tell a guy who has been living here 12 years and is a dual national to get out of America like he's some kind of foreign invader. He seems to have an inferiority complex vis a vis US sports. Jurgen can say what he likes, but critique what he was saying, don't put the 'ugly foreigner' spin on things. This guy has been living here a long time Wilbon, get over it.

usfootball20 repped this.
  7. Crispa Redmanizers

Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilbon wants an interview with Kobe in the future and a chance to co-author Kobe's autobiography.

Wilbon is notorious for nut hugging superstar NBA players. I stopped taking what he and Kornheiser say about sports.

ATH is much better in all sports except soccer .

8. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Yeah, i had a feeling that it was all an act.

9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Kobe quote was before Donovan was ever cut. I thought the point was a sports culture point.

He doesn't agree with paying players for past performance. Which is exactly what Bryant's contract is. It's ridiculous. Meanwhile Tim Duncan dirk nowitzki and others take less money so their teams can be more competitive...

Mmmmm

NASI GORENG repped this.
  10. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
  11. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann is wrong here. We need solid games against Ghana and Portugal, with CR having a sore knee and Germany having a ho hum day to get 5-7 points and get out of the group, a little luck to get a beatable Russia in the R16 and then three games of their lives to win. Not six or seven

That's totally doable! ;)

12. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes...but I could with a lot less nut-licking in the American media. These two knuckleheads couldn't even rationally converse about the matter.

13. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Also funny how the realism of "We're not going to win the World Cup" is apparently acceptable to Klinsmann, but the realism of "At 32 I can't train as hard for 12 days in a row as I used to" apparently isn't.

russ, Berks, superdave and 2 others repped this.
  14. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  15. Jeterfan1015

Jeterfan1015 Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Queens NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hate for Klinsmann is understandable right now. He left the most well known player out of the world cup for who knows what reason. (Don't tell me Brad Davis and Julian Green are better than Donovan or I will laugh in your face) After doing that of course everything he does is going to be looked at under a microscope. To people that don't follow soccer that much he is not a dual citizen that has lived here for 12 years. He is the German coach that left Donovan off the roster. Saying he should get out of America is obviously taking it too far, but do you really think any "American" coach would have left Donovan off the roster? Personally I could never see Bob Bradley or Bruce Arena leaving Donovan off their World Cup roster, and that's where all the hate for his German citizenship is coming from. I personally hate him now but I would never tell him to leave the country lol.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    What's the context. Trying to force a comparison where none exists.
    What are we talking about? Klinsman or Donovan?

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Both, obviously. Klinsmann thinks it's acceptable to tell the press that we have no hope of winning the World Cup (which is true), yet telling the press you can't train for 12 days in a row at the same pace at the age of 32 (which is also true) is not acceptable. It's a double standard, and the comparison absolutely exists, because I just made it.

TheNearPost repped this.
  18. joejonbob

joejonbob Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    So why does a quote about a basketball player, in LA have to start out with this sentence?

"This only happens in America" - JK

Why? According to JK America is the only place over the hill people get payed for past accomplishments.

BTW, you can in fact tell me that I am full of crap and to shut up. But beware, you will face my fan club's rage!

19. joejonbob

joejonbob Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not racist, my best friend is black.

20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you also choose to make your home in sub-Saharan Africa?

21. Major Major

Major Major Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Colorado
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'd be different if you married your best friend, lived in your best friend's native country, and had kids with your best friend. You're talking two different things here.

22. joejonbob

joejonbob Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    #97 joejonbob, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    I would consider living in a lot of places for the money JK is making.

Edit - Or if my wife made me do it.

23. joejonbob

joejonbob Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    No, I am not. I am talking perceptions based on associations as an excuse for behavior. Both of those are examples.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They're mutually exclusive. What does Donovan's quote have to do with a coach saying his team won't win and our opinions on that. Its like telling your kid he can't have a sleep over cause his sister lied.
    Donovan's quote on not being able to train has no bearing on whether our coach thinks we can win the world cup.
    In fact Landon Donovan is not on the team.

25. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    This really isn't that complex. It's about hypocrisy and a double-standard (as I posted before, apparently in Mongolian or something). Klinsmann was apparently livid that Donovan made the realistic and honest statement that he can no longer train like he used to and he has to pick and choose his moments. That was apparently over the line, but Klinsmann's even more shocking (for an American audience) realistic and honest statement that we have no hope of winning the WC is just fine with him. D-o-u-b-l-e s-t-a-n-d-a-r-d (just in case you willfully missed it again).

Berks, Scotty, luftmensch and 1 other person repped this.