ESPN's Wilbon tells Klinsmann to "get out of America"

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CarlosE, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #251 Chastaen, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    In what way? You can't make a "Nuh uh" statement without at least trying to make it an intelligent argument.

2. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    People are making way too big a deal out of this. "Get out of here" is sort of a catchphrase for Wilbon

3. Fernandont Scorres

Jun 26, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann specifically used Wilbon's friend in his comments and called out something that Wilbon has dedicated his entire career to. Wilbon just went into attack mode like he usually does and it sounded like he was talking to Klinsmann personally. We can sit here and go back and forth about the actual level of xenophobia by Americans, but I judge things on a case by case basis and to me it sounded like a personal issue rather than Wilbon making a blanket statement for all immigrants to get out. People just like to look for anything to make a story of and for me there really isn't anything here.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But then we'd have to talk about soccer.

5. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Very true, unfortunately. And very sad.

6. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    #256 bbsbt, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    Oh, and you know this... how?

Really? So in all those hundreds of times that he used the phrase "Get out", was there ever an instance where the words "of America" were inserted at the end of that phrase?
    I doubt it.

Ohhh, ok.. so that's why he added "of America". Got it.
    Because a couple pages ago another poster said that Wilbon added "of America" because this was about the national team.
    Now you are saying it's because this Jurgen "foreigner" guy happens to reside here in America, that's why.

Wow, those glasses you folks wear must really be colored in a very dark rose.

Oh? What about though to us Americans?
    Or do you really think this back & forth is between Americans and non-Americans.

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an absolute certainty? No, I don't know for sure. I'm taking all the information at my disposal to come to the most logical conclusion (something that I believe many in this thread are not doing). I said in an earlier post a few pages ago that only Wilbon could state 100% what he meant.

Unfortunately, I do not have a transcript of everytime he's used this turn of phrase. I would guess that you're correct that he hasn't used that before. I'm not sure why it matters, though. If you're not wearing your xenophobic glasses and take the slang phrase for what its worth, "get out of here!" is on the same level as "get out of Chicago!" ... and is also the same as "get out of America!" What's important is to understand who the target represents. He's using it the same way he'd be saying it if he was disagreeing with the head coach of the Chicago Bulls (whoever that is). That head coach represents Chicago, so he tells him to get out of Chicago. Klinsy's team is the entire country... so he uses ... the entire country as the place from which to get out. Again, it's unfortunate that he didn't say it in his head first and hear how it sounds. It doesn't change its intended meaning, however.

I think you've misunderstood what I was saying here. He added "of America" because that's who Klinsy is representing being the manager of the national team. I said "foreigner" and used the quotations like I did because of the emphasis that those who are claiming xenophobia are placing on his being a non-American. The appropriate question to ask after this is one you already have (albeit incorrectly answered by yourself):

If either of them had made the exact same comments about our chances on top of what was said about Kobe and "the American culture of paying players for past achievements," I absolutely think he would. That's the stuff that he vehemently disagrees with, and that's the stuff that causes the slang "get out of here (insert who/what/where the target individual represents)!" Therefore, the fact that Klinsy is a foreigner only matters to those who want to believe that Wilbon was being xenophobic or racist... hence the quotations around the word. I apologize if it wasn't clear before.

A little of both, which is why I gave two options. The non-Americans get a pass because it's an understandable misunderstanding. I can see American slang being tough to understand sometimes if you didn't grow up with it. Americans who claim he's a xenophobe or a racist fall into the other option: intentionally obtuse. If you're really familiar with Wilbon and have seen the show many times, you should know better. If you don't watch the show and don't really know anything about the man, then you should defer to those who regularly watch the show and have prior knowledge of the man before coming to such negative conclusions based on incomplete information.

Are you familiar with the psychological effect known as transference? It's the process of shifting emotions from prior experiences or people onto current incidents. I think you had your mind made up the second you saw/heard Wilbon say that.

8. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think if Wilbon had some sort of xenophobia against Germans it would have came up in all the years he has covered Dirk Nowitzki.

9. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    That's gotta be it. Thanks.