ESPN's Colin Cowherd today...MLS is making progress!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by equus, Aug 30, 2007.

1. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    No, it's not what you think...

He didn't praise last night's Superliga final on his radio show today, but he did avoid using the same tired rants and cliches of the species known as "soccerus basherus." So at least he's coming around. :)

No, today he spent three whole minutes trying to figure out if a "Pachuca" was a fruit or a vegetable, and why soccer in general is too complicated with all of these non-league competitions and cups for Americans to follow, unless we were hardcore fans who "lived in their mother's basement." He based this ability for Americans to not be able to follow it because we only have 2 weeks of vacation vs. Europeans who take off 6-8 weeks or more.

But he never said soccer wouldn't work here, that Beckham was a wuss, nor mention orange slices and Capri-Suns, so I'll take that as a positive. Heck, by November he'll have moved up to the age old question of "why is the MLS Cup that's given to the winner not really a cup?" :D

2. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was one of the worst I've heard. This is a good sign, albeit only one person.

3. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't matter . . . he's still a dumbass that is a complete and total hypocrite . . . He was asked by an e-mailer why he didn't talk about the death of coach Eddie Robinson. He said that talking about the recently deceased is bad radio . . . then about a month later, he dedicates an entire show to the passing of Bill Walsh.

He feels that anything he's a fan of is important and anything he doesn't know much about is a waste of YOUR time. Translation: . . . he's afraid to learn something from someone else. If he can't figure it out on his own, then it's stupid.

I only listen to the opening of his show on the way home from w*rk because the guy I give a ride home to is 60 and doesn't want to hear my metal music. The only time I've continued to listen to his show was when Bob Valvano filled in for him one time either last week or the week before that. Now that's a real radio show host . . . Bobby V is the best DJ in the business IMO.

4. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    ESPN knows soccer much more than we give them credit for.

5. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I thought the fact that he even brought the game up to make fun of it was surprising, given the fact that the game wasn't on ESPN2 or any other mainstream network, and was on from 11pm - 2am Eastern time last night.

6. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Pachuca's a fruit. (insert diving joke here)

7. MyBrotherBilo

MyBrotherBilo New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Purdue University
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one time i called into the 'herd and said something to him, but im too drunk to remember these things now.

8. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually said that multiple competitions during the MLS season is too complicated for Americans to follow? Does that include him?

9. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's more than one way to become a journalist.

I smell an ESPN rant thread, so I'm out.

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Hah ... if the competition format is too hard to understand, I wonder how American fans can figure out what a nickel defense is or what zone defense in basketball is or what a breaking ball pitch is. I guess he thinks Americans are stupid in general and that's why he's part of the media machine that dumbs things down to the point where smart people actually lose brain cells while they listen to his show.

11. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
  12. mitzTHFC

mitzTHFC New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Syracuse
    The Colin Cowherd School of Arguing

Step 1: Formulate an opinion which is mildly controversial. ("David Beckham is a limey lemon.")

Step 2: Make point to audience. ("This is the Herd with Colin Cowherd, and David Beckham is a limey lemon.")

Step 3: Provide scant evidence based upon a gut feeling that ignores the long run that cleaves slightly to a statistic. ("David Beckham is making $250 million and has only played in four games, and has only scored one goal! What a bust!")

Step 4: Reiterate point, alluding to the obvious nature of his previous statement. ("Don't you get it?!? $250 million for four games?!?")

Step 5: Slightly more evidence is provided. ("He's only scored one goal!!! And Americans love goals!!!")

Step 6: Catch his breath slightly, make his point one more time (alluding to the obvious nature of his statement) before moving on to his next argument. ("I don't know why soccer fans don't get why Beckham isn't going to make soccer popular in this country. Next up on the Herd: why Michael Vick will play in the NFL again.")

God I hate this man

13. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    whos colin cowherd?

14. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A real dickhead from the sound of things.

15. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm not going lie when I first started following the sport serioulsy in the 90's. All these Cup Competitions did confuse me at first.

16. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    i love it when people that never acomplish anything on sports are so cool bc they are on tv or radio.

any record on the sports this guy did?

who the f.. is collin cow?

17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

An insult to herds of cows.

Seriously, a guy who is as a big of a prick as Jim Rome, if not worse IMO. That and his voice makes me want to go nuts.

18. Krebstar

Krebstar New Member

May 19, 2007
    Iowa
    He doesn't care, so there's no kind of victory. He'll keep using MLS and soccer in general simply as comedy on his show. Not listening to him is the best thing you could do.

19. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    why dont we make fun of him here. hey im down. im good when it comes to pickin on losers ; )

20. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colin cowherd is a decent guy on the radio. he knows his sports. h e just alil ignorant on soccer especially on mLS. just like the WSD guys especially steven when it comes to american sports, they are pretty ignorant too. i beleive Cowherd can relate to the average sports fan, here in the US, but you have to understand where he is comming from on the common sense of sports. in europe they do not do things americans related to, so ofcourse soccer can be a big turn of, especially when you have leagues that dont have a definitive playoff system. thats why he was talking about when he was confused "with all these cups".

21. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    i was tryin to see a bit of the background of this guy. i could only find a few lines on wikipedia.

i dont care ill make fun of his a.. the problem with this people is that they never met the big dogs of soccer.

if he was that important he would be on the fields right now playin with the big boys proffessinals sports, not talkin crap on the radio.

he is just a broadcaster not mike tyson. f.. this loser.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't like Colin Cowherd on the radio or the little act he always puts up, but why does ESPN use him for college football? He is horrible for commentary and is a train wreck when he does commentary for college athletics. The bully act just makes him look like a greater ass than he normally is when used on college kids.

23. DempseyFan

DempseyFan New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I personally love listening to the guy. since the Beckham signing hes dedicated parts of his show to soccer. He is clueless on some of his points but Id say hes talking more about soccer than Mike and Mike in the Morning, Dan Patrick show, Erik Kuselius, and Doug Gotleib all combined so you guys need to lay off Colin on this. By the way, he knows who Landon Donovan is, which most writers dont have a clue about

24. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    [​IMG]

this guy? he doesnt look like the typical hs bully.

i find it interesting that there is not record of this guy ever playin competitive sports. so people just like him bc he is a wise sport commentator?

why is he such a big deal? if there is not athletic background, hes a clown, period.

25. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to go off-topic further, but I second akindele12's comment. Once I started to follow soccer more, I tried to learn more about the Cups and the big leagues (their rules, relegations, transfers, etc.). I suppose it was "the sign," that soccer had converted this average sports fan. :)