ESPN's chat with Schellas

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Rex Kramer, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Thanks Rex

Aug 1, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Submit your questions here

I'm going to guess the odds of him answering my "why is Guarda, who has proven nothing at the reserve level, let alone MLS, seeing more playing time than Eric Avila, who had not only worked his way into the first team but had also proven his ability there?" question are somewhere in the region of a snowball's chance in hell.

2. marco4

marco4 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Troy, NY
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't stop us from bludgeoning him with the question. As many of us as possible. Be a short chat if he just ignores 25 questions like the one above. I just sent mine.

(Thanks, Rex, for pointing this out, and apologies in advance for using your quote as the basis of my submission...)

3. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    No, I don't think bombarding SH with negative comments on "his boy" will help Avila any. I tried a slightly more positive approach, basically insinuating that the offense has gone more long-ball without him in the lineup.

4. marco4

marco4 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Troy, NY
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not about helping Avila. It's about getting answers re: his clearly preferential treatment of Guarda, so word it how you like - just keep asking the question.

5. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Fair enough.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Schellas, you changed from a 3 man backline to a 4 man defense....and we've seen the team give up leads in 3 straight games. In your opinion, what is causing the defensive meltdowns?

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Why was the line-up changed after the LA and Toronto wins? is this the reason the team not won since?

8. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    I sent in "Coach, how is 'inseam' measured? I say it's down the outside of the pant leg starting at the waist. My wife disagrees. Steak dinner rides on the answer."

If I can send in another, I've got "Coach, I have some milk in the fridge that says it expired. Should I drink it?" in reserve.

Dollars to donuts says both make the cut (if I really sent those in). :rolleyes:

ETA: OK, I sent in a flamingly stupid question dressed up as a serious one for quality testing purposes. I apologize in advance. I'll cop to it if I see it on the transcript.

9. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    At this pace, maybe 4 questions will get in.:rolleyes:

10. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Pace has picked up...
    To mention that but still include Guarda as one of the team's strengths is a little odd, however.

11. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Everybody go rep jwedding!

(My inane question has not made the cut yet.)

12. Valknut

Valknut Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A vote of ********ing confidence for Bruno, unreal! :mad:

13. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    That's it? At least they included Wedding's question.

14. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the least offensive version of the question. I don't find the answer wholly satisfying, but at least it's SOMETHING.

15. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    A bit disturbing actually. From what I can tell so far, in his system, an emphasis seems to be placed on defense through the center, and attacking on the wings. And all the criticism falls on the flank players when it doesn't work.
    I'm afraid he's gonna trade Avila, who is possibly the only real attacking mid this team has had since Pareja.

16. marco4

marco4 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Troy, NY
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow!! Seven whole questions! Thanks, ESPN, and thanks, Schellas. I was really wondering what your favorite stadium was. That'll help me sleep better now.

And, while painfully predictable, it's too bad they put in front of him what was most likely the "nicest" Guarda-related question. Nothing too direct about his lack of experience or game fitness, as compared to his teammates, and obviously no question asking directly whether the current lineup decisions are more about next year than this.

Learned nothing new, just had confirmed that he's playing favorites with the new kid just because he coached him in college - logic, experience, and fitness be damned.

17. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent in the question: "What is your goal for this year?" Maybe that is what his next answer is to? The one without a question. Seems like the chat is having technical issues

18. marco4

marco4 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Troy, NY
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind you of anything? Looks to me a lot like what Bradley is doing with the USMNT.

And it's ugly there, too.

Be careful about saying stuff like that out loud. A few days before Saturday's game, I threw out that Guarda was probably about due for a start, and look what that got us.

19. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Thanks Rex

Aug 1, 2007
    Plano, TX
    From the interview:
    Weren't some commenting here that that's exactly what was reverted to after certain players were introduced/subbed in?

Way to devalue Oduro's 5 goal/2 assist contribution there, Coach. Again.

20. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    God, you're right. That explains the backwards-assed Donovan RW Dempsey ST crap. Not to mention the twin-DMid clusterfocking in the center. Given the similarities, I'd guess Avila is either on the trading block or he gets minutes on the wing (where his creativity is wasted).

21. marco4

marco4 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Troy, NY
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call. Not the first time he's made that sort of comment about the forwards.

And, on a related note, can anyone out there explain to me his fascination with referring to the offense as a "strike force"? Makes me want to put my fist through the computer screen each time I see him quoted as such. Something wrong with just saying "forwards" or "offense"? FCOL, this guy is gonna short-circuit Buzz' "Coach Speak Translator" (all rights reserved) before the end of the season.

22. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So this response is puzzling at best and, to be honest, pretty f--king frustrating to read...my responses below to each ridiculous statement:

"That's a great question--a lot of people have been wondering."
    I'm sure Dax and Avila, most of all. I am a close 3rd place.

"All I can say to that is that my familiarity with the player, playing a system that is different from most 4-4-2 systems, the position I've put him in is one I've coached him in for three years."
    Uhhh, yeah - 3 years at NCAA level. So SH is comfortable that Guarda understands how to play in his "unique" 4-4-2...great. Doesn't do much good if he is incapable of playing effectively at the MLS level on a consistent basis - e.g. more than 5 minutes per game?!

"He understands the structure, and it's about the structure more than the individual. I wanted to give him the opportunity to produce on the field. We felt he had a good game against Columbus. Saying that, I we have Avila and McCarty who can play that position, but neither are as familiar with it. " Agreed that the system is more important than any one player, but are we saying that it's more important to have the system in place with a player who cannot play at MLS level in any system in the starting XI?! That's absurd. Why would you not put in your players who have first-team MLS experience (e.g. Dax or Avila) and let them learn on the fly?! Then move your kid in during the offseason if the "vets" can't adapt to your system by then?

"It's a vote of confidence." For what or who?! The system? Guarda? Ugh.

23. 85FinMiles

85FinMiles Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Below 20
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who can tell me the unique qualities of Schellas' 4-4-2?

24. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *thanks for the set-up*

Apparantly, Schellas can - he has a series of DVDs out.

Schellas Hyndman: The Basics of the 4-4-2 System

Item Number: RD-02457A

with Schellas Hyndman,
    FC Dallas (MLS) Head Coach;
    former Southern Methodist University Head Men's Soccer Coach,
    led SMU to three NCAA Division I College Cups;
    fourth on the all-time win list of NCAA Division I Soccer Coaches
    NSCAA Coach of the Year (1981);
    7x NSCAA/Adidas Regional "Coach of the Year,"
    past NSCAA president (2005), NSCAA Director of Coaching Emeritus

Since taking over the Southern Methodist University soccer program in 1984, Schellas Hyndman has produced a winning season each year by utilizing the 4-4-2 system of play! In this DVD, Hyndman explains three critical functions to all systems of play: the Attacking Phase, the Build Up Phase and the Defensive Phase. He demonstrates the intricate details of the 4-4-2 system of play by using innovative, computer-generated animation to give the viewer detailed illustrations of how the system is properly executed. Hyndman shows how to efficiently use the 4-4-2 in different areas of the field including the back four, middle four and the attacking part of the field. Hyndman creates a game-like situation to explain how to use the 4-4-2 both offensively and defensively. In the Attacking Phase, he diagrams how to progressively move the ball forward, how to attack the midfielder and how to keep your team equally balanced. Going the other way, Hyndman shows how to keep defensive pressure on the ball, communicate, maintain balance, force players down the flank, deny penetration and deny space. Hyndman also gives his expert advice on how to overcome the weaknesses that can occur when using the 4-4-2. This is an outstanding and in-depth overview of the 4-4-2 taught by one of the greatest coaches in the game today!

54 minutes. 2005.

more info here: http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/auth/281/Schellas-Hyndman.html?id=ybFzVwTu

25. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Save the $29.99. Here is Jeddy Rasp's: "The Basics of the 4-4-2 System" :

You set up with 4 defenders playing behind 4 midfield players who are playing behind 2 forwards.

Thats it: please send your $19.99 to: Jeddy Rasp, c/o Concerts Are Us, Pizza Hut Park, Frisco, Tx.