ESPN's Canales: league organizers bungled scheduling ensures LA will not make playoffs

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by RedBulls, Aug 25, 2007.

1. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well from the week of August 5th thru the 12 they played @TFC @DC and @NE, please tell me they didnt do the stupid thing of going back and forth from LA to the East coast every time. f they did then that is LA fault no one elses.

2. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think that problem will be fixed.

3. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but here is my guess what happened. They don't talk much about it now, but when "Brand Beckham" was first introduced they mentioned that it was in partnership with CAA and the guy who developed American Idol. For those who don't know, CAA is a major talent agency in LA.

The entertainment biz isn't about building something over a long period of time. If you have a star who is hot you keep pushing them out in the public for as long as you can until you've run them into the ground. If you don't, the next big thing just might show up and take away your publicity. Sound familiar?

I have this horrible feeling that in some meeting a junior executive at CAA pitched the idea of a Beckham tour across the country while he was still in the public eye. Once the people in power signed off on it there was no way that the soccer people could object.

4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They stayed on the east coast.

5. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our roster is too thin and with the number of injuries, you can pretty much kiss the playoffs good bye...and my full season ticket for next year at this rate..
    -
    The Superliga , the Chelsea series and the games in Minneapolis and Vancouver are total mistakes..... Becks is with us 5 years, not just 1. Total greed on AEG.
    -
    The regular season should have been - first third of the season, home and away in the west, middle of season when Beck's shows up, home and away vs. east, then finish the last third of the season with home and away in the west.. Cuts down travel in the last third of the season,,,
    -
    I would have concentrated all the buzz on the league and the league teams...we didn't need to be playing a bunch of international games mixed in..
    -
    Should have let this season be like this and then next spring, when Beck's is in camp from day one, thats when you do some internationals, travel to Europe etc
    -
    Just total, total botch by AEG......come to think of it, they are the one's who botched the move to the HDC from the Rose Bowl... They forced the team to play on the road a huge number of games to start.. The thinking at AEG really is bizarre and obviously, business first and soccer second..

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, we'll blame Rich Lovett for the disaster that is the Galz?

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy then should have backed out of Superliga ...... and the stupid World Series of Futbol, which oh by the way THEY THEMSELVES put together to pad their own pockets. The Galaxy crying now when they had no reasonable basis for even being in Superliga, but surely begged themselves into it with Beckham as a selling point, rings very hollow. They are more guilty than anyone for the situation they are in.

Edit: just read the Garber statement post and carlos' response. makes my point moot.

8. SavannahFan

SavannahFan New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    RFK Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh no ya don't. You are not slipping out of this that easy.

Yes, you have a lot of away games in the second half of your season, but that also means you had a larger number of home games in the first half, and your team just did not win often enough while having that home advantage.

Why...?

IMO fatigue.

And it is not that hard to see why, as schedule congestion has been, and still is an ongoing problem for your side.

Like I said, you did not have to participate in the Superliga. Chivas would have actually been a better choice (both in quality and appeal to the Mexican demographic).You sure did not have to put as much effort into the USOC as you did (3 games...?). You sure didn't have to have so many friendlies (5 games including the "World Series"...

That's nine extra games added to your schedule. :rolleyes:

Sure, who's going to pass on the chance to play against a top flight side like Chelsea, but what's up with all the matches against lesser opponents like the 3 USL teams, and the even lower level Rangers FC...?

Add that to the obvious international callups for some of you bext players, and "Duh"... The Galaxy is fatigued.

MLS didn't make the Galaxy do all of that extra crap, the Galaxy brought in upon themselves.

So Canales can sry a biased river, the fact is that no one in MLS really feels sorry for your team.

9. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. Don't forget the scheduling effect of the critically important X-Games: determined by AEG.

10. Compared to whom?

11. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Look - take away Beckham flying back for England national games, and his ankle injury, and no one's complaining quite so much about the back-ended schedule.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but when Beckham was signed and the schedule was set, he was out of the national team picture, and was uninjured.

They rolled the dice - things changed - they didn't hit their number. Hey, he's here for 5 years, or so they've been saying.

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I get it.

So Andrea thinks if they had played more games before Beckham got here with the crap team they have, their record would have been better??

13. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Revolution could have filled in for the Galaxy just fine… I mean god forbid you let them team that took the champions to Pks into a meaningful tournament. Revs usually draw pretty decent for international games also.

That just about summed it up. Every time I think of the galaxy, all that rings is my ears is Lalas saying. “we like to think hes coming to another super club” lol…. Yeah ok lol.

They played a ton of home games with an extremely light schedule for the first 14 games of the season which they managed what? 14 points or something ridiculously low… Give it up, blaming the schedule will get you nowhere..

They performed well in 3 freeken games give it up. They played 3 games at home and 1 on the road. 2 of those games against pre season teams its not like it was champions league. Pachuca is going to destroy them in the final since they are now match fit and into there season. I wouldn’t go around beating my chest on that one.

Great post ! of course DCU is not the galaxy, hence its fair for DCU to do it and a competitive disadvantage for the Galaxy to do it.. See how that works?

14. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA
    why bring facts into an argument where people are trying by any means necessary to compensate for LA's utterly shit team this year?

Also, I recall a video on mlsnet.com of a press conference where LA and Garber both said that it was LA that wanted to back load the schedule. So it's not like the league imposed it's will on LA, they were all too willing participants.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Why can't she just be stupid? Why does she have to be a stupid whore?

I'm being serious here. Your problem isn't with her as a journo. It's that she can wear a skirt that isn't plaid and get away with it.

16. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    If you can't make the playoffs in MLS, you simply suck and have nothing to blame execpt yourselves.

Once again, Andrea is off base. Shocker.

17. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Makes sense.

Beckham is here to sell soccer and touring each market easily trumps on the field success of the Galaxy. Spectacle first, pure competion comes further down the list.

18. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    How does anyone have the balls to complain about poor scheduling when the league has already bent over backwards to give you the best player in the league. Now theyve got that kid Sesay?

If I hear one more complaint from LA about being disadvantaged I am going to flip.

The league has basically spent the entire last season trying to give them an unfair advantage.

Stuff like this really makes MLS look bad. A legit sports league doesnt decide who they want to win.

Then again, this is CONCACAF, so I guess legitimacy is a little too much to expect.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper for MLS cred. when sports journalists that normally have no reason to cover MLS pick up on this stentch. That's "the reverse is also true" rule when bringing in a Becks to have the spotlight shine on MLS. There has to be somone at League HQ that stands tall and mentions that a back loaded schedule, with as many pros as it offers, will give an inroad to the talking heads in our U.S. sporting culture on just how NOT MAJOR LEAGUE MLS is when adjusting schedules to accomodate an import signing.

With all the positive coverage the pro men's game gets down here in Houston, it was our 790 all around sports know it all (who actually has been picking up the sport as our p-b-p guy for local TV) that caught on to this 'Becks Schedule' and ripped the league. Simply put, the reverse of a mega shot of positive spotlight can and will make an ass out of league leaders when ditching a standard schedule for all teams.
    If our league is based in NYC then it should stick to a NYC sports attitude. No padded schedule, no breaks just {uckin' go out and play like the rest of the league! Merry Christmas.

And yes, Los Tuzos de Pachuca will stomp a new mud hole in LAG this week.

20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not complaining about the schedule, but I'm curious exactly how the league has spent the entire last season trying to give us an unfair advantage.

'Cause if they are -- they really, really suck at it.

21. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Youre team was anointed to have the best player in MLS history.

You've just been given one of the USA's brightest young stars.

Youre schedule gave your team every chance to make up points once Beckham arrived.

A free pass into the Superliga tournament giving LA the chance to win money in a tourney they didnt legitimately qualify for.

22. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    And if you want to be exact, none of his salary gets counted towards their cap.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call Kyle Martino the best player in MLS history.

Oh wait, you're talking about David Beckham. You mean the player that our owners spent 3 years wooing and 3 years trying to get the league to open up a DP rule so they could get him? The same rule that every other team is allowed? The rule that allowed New York to get JPA? Who I'd say has been helping his team a lot more than Becks has helped LA so far.

In the lottery in which we had the second-highest percentage of winning? For a 17-year old player who may or may not ever even see the field with the first team. Let's not forget, for every Jozy Altidoe, there is 3 Nick Besangos...

If you think that schedule was made for any other reason than to make as much $$$$ as possible, you're kidding yourself.

24. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    although im not a full bottle on the MLS and its selections and day to day news, it seems to me that Lalas is a shocking choice for... well what ever he does in the back staff of the team or teams he has been involved in... He seems to run clubs into teh ground and came up with lame excuses.... i like the new logo for galaxy but why change the home and away kits when they looked great and unique?

25. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    And the Gals will probably never see a dime of that money, eh?