ESPNews' coverage fo the MLS Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Wallydrag, Nov 19, 2004.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering they have done a lot of stuff preceding this - the MVP announcement, Landon interviewed when he won POY and I think some Wynalda interviews in conjunction with the NCAA draws, I'd say they've done some great building in this direction.

3. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    It's good, but I think it's partly because ESPNNews ratings, subscriber fees, and ad sales are so low that they'll show almost anything to avoid a "perfect zero" Neilsen, which would virtually guarantee the channel's extinction.

I doubt ESPN and ESPN2 would touch some of the things ESPNNews' "The Hot List" does (college/pro soccer talk, Pro Rodeo talk, even "extended" NASCAR coverage) with a 50-foot pole because their current programming and SportsCenter get ratings and/or money.

4. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Furthermore, does this newfound relationship between ESPNews and MLS mean the end of Fox Sports World's coverage of the SuperDraft?

5. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

First of all, I would like to thank ESPN (whichever part of it) for covering the draft. In my younger days (mid 70-'s and early 80's), we only had sporadic coverage of ANY type of soccer. If you are upset because they left out the City part, well, you are really spoiled. Be happy soccer is now getting coverage in the off season. I don't care if it's ESPN 7, it's still coverage.

Please, anyone, let me know when you saw an NASL draft.

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    i'm pretty sure on the last MLS Wrap they signed off by saying "see you in January for the superdraft".

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not "upset" that they left City out. I'm saying that Brian Kenny - who does a damn good job - should have been better prepare don that one item. I think the coverage was, on the whole, outstanding, but when they have the commish and two league analysts calling the team one thing and the anchor calling it another, it deserves mention. I'm not spoiled - I'm making a honest assessment of the coverage.

Regarding why they put it on their, drawing a niche audience is probably a very valid point. But it all starts somewhere. And it pretty much shoots down any "ESPN hates soccer" argument because at least one division understands the importance of doing things the right way.

8. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I just watched this using the mlsnet.com link and all I can say is....WOW...

good stuff...I liked how they didn't dumb anything down for the audience.
    I sent a compliment to ESPN.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that was a multi-year deal. Not sure, but I talked to the league about it when they set it up earlier this and that's my recollection.

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if there's an easy way to look up the answer to this question, but does anyone know what sort of market presence (households? ratings?) ESPNews has - or how they compare in those terms to say, FSW? Just curious - I've had FSW for several years, but my system only added ESPNews recently.

Most people I know don't watch either channel and aren't even sure if they have them. :rolleyes:

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    and then after you do that go to the soccer forum at www.espnviewerzone.com

12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I've never watched ESPNNews for anything approaching a full ten minutes, much less an hour. Although Kenny made some preparatory mistakes, I think they were relatively minor and he did a great job of approaching MLS as he would any other league. For a non-soccer guy, he seemed to have a remarkably good grasp of many players, the team situations, etc... all in all, any of us would have been similarly prepared because it's one of our hobbies, but he had to go out of his way to do that.

If you're going to complain about anyone's preparation, you could complain about Stone's minor but repeated statements that Orlando Perez was a right back, even while they were showing his greatest hits video ... all on the left side.

What I can't believe is how many players were taken from the last-place Fire. But hey, a clean slate might not be such a bad thing with Wilt and Sarachan in charge.

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people I actually think dropped the ball were the MLS PR people who shouuld have corrected Brian off camera. He did a great job - I actually tune into the simulcast of The Hot List on XM when I'm drving home because you never know what you'll hear.

The leage is making great strides, no doubt.

14. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    but he had me almost believing Orlando Perez plays on the right, was at least convincingly wrong

his knowledge was superficial, postitions and brief bios but it came off nice with Stone and Wynalda filling the gaps pretty well

15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I talked about how happy I was with this coverage for so long that my wife had to tell me to shut up. To me, that means good work.

16. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    Can we expect to see more of this kind of coverage from ESPNnews going forward and leading up to the WC06? (Maybe a season preview or maybe a 15minute weekly recap with analysis during the season?)

I thought it was very well done and would love to see more of this kind of attention brought to our league and sport.

Also, I think this could be a good career thing for both Wynalda and Stoner, I think they came across the tv very well and looked comfortable and like they belonged.

All in all Great Job.

baby steps.

17. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want Sportscenter to show highlights of MLS games. It's not that hard.

18. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    You really trust SportsCenter with MLS?

They're barely adequate with the Big Four.

19. DCPool

DCPool New Member

Jan 18, 2001
    DC
    Like how on Sportscenter's top ten the day after the US v Jam match they showed Andy Williams' penalty shot instead of Eddie Johnson's run-of-play goal. Brilliant. The Williams goal was #8 or 9, so I waited through the rest waiting for Eddie's goal. No dice. Who over at Sportscenter made this decision?