ESPN2 USA CL match for Nov 23 is..

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Rima067, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    ManU v Lyon.

Motherfuc* they're both already through!

2. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Boy, they posted it earlier this time. They probably didn't even think about it. I can imagine those ignorants in bristol at the TV schedule and programming meeting: "Ok guys, next slot up is the afternoon of tuesday november 23rd. We usually show some soccer game called champions league. Any ideas? (Some idiot yells out) Manchester United! Ok sounds good. Moving on to Tuesday night..." Like they give a rat's ass!!! :D

3. blazsovszkyc

blazsovszkyc Member

May 20, 2004
    Budapest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They showd Real Madrid two times, I hated it and now when is Real-Leverkusen they show MU-Lyon, stupid a**es

4. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
    They showed Real Madrid 3 times!!!

I really thought we'd get the Arsenal-PSV game. Why the ******** isn't espn deportes more available, mother ********ers.

5. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah whats up with espn deportes does anybody get it out here in LA? They anounce the ******** like its avaliable eveywhere.

6. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not going to show Maccabi and Ajax. They'd make more money off high school cheerleading competitions. The only teams that would be worth the airtime unfortunately are Manchester United and Real Madrid.

7. Forza Badger

Forza Badger New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i'm
    By some grace of god they did show the Barca - Milan game.

8. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Aww crap...this sucks. Fu*king MANUre! Wtf, why not Arsenal - PSV...a match worth watching...well...actually maybe not due to the fact that Cygan and Lehhhhhhhhhhmann might still be on the field then...

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    This is a great matchup between 2 quality teams. Lyon will finally get some much needed exposure in the US that they deserve. If Lyon can earn at least a draw in this match they probably will win the group. This is a better match then Arsenal-PSV because Lyon are a much better team than PSV and thats a fact, jack !

10. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all a plot on ESPN's part to get us to go to our cable companies and demand ESPN Deportes. Its a "quality CL match" hostage situation. Oh well.

11. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Lyon will finally get the exposure in the US they deserve? a better match than PSV vs. Arsenal? hahahahahha, get outta here frenchie! :D

12. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    All you Arsenal fans need to stop complaining at least you can watch them every weekend on FSW. Us Man U fans are stuck having to either shell out $20 for the PPV or find a bar to watch at. It's about time we get a Man U match on ESPN2.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, but Arsenal is much better than Man Utd. Besides both Man Utd and Lyon will field B sides in this match since the game means the square-root of bugger-all. ...

But the Arsenal - PSV game is on the Setanta pub channel (not PPV) at 5pm tape-delayed. So as usual Arsenal is on free-TV so Arse fans shouldn't be whining either.

14. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Man. United vs Lyon is a fight to win the group, which is very important. When the round of 16 comes, group winners play runner-ups. They're going to do what they can to avoid being up against Juventus or Chelsea when February comes. Manure definitely want to finish this off in Old Trafford instead of leaving it for a last round in Istanbul. Also, Arsenal is on Wednesday and ESPN prefers to waste a Tuesday afternoon with CL (learn that, already!).

15. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I completely agree that french footy deserves more recognition/respect in the states, but a match between two teams that are already through and will probably field their b sides is not the time to do it.

16. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I would imagine Setanta decided they didn't want Man U for some strange reason, seeing as Man U games generate a decent bit of pub revenue. Normally, Setanta sublicenses any CL game involving EPL or SPL sides in the first round. They get pub money, ESPN basically recoups the rights fee.

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I lost a bet. I told a friend they'd would put a team from Spain on every week unless they couldn't. C'mon ESPN, you know the EPL and Ligue 1 (or whatever it is this week) don't sell in the US...

Thx,

Jay!

18. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't get ESPN. They give us Real three times of the first four matchdays and now when they have a crucial match against Leverkusen they show us two teams that are basicallly already qualified. WTF :confused:

19. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm convinced they put the names of the games on slips of paper and then let a monkey pick. It is simply impossible that a human could be this stupid, right? :rolleyes:

I'm quite glad I gave UEFA.com my cash so I can skip ESPN2's coverage. Heck, it would be worth it even if I didn't use their archives of CL footage going back to the early 90s. Anyone know when ESPN's rights expire? It would be nice if FSW or even PPV got CL games. Then I could watch Arsenal live for once.

20. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Anyone know when ESPN's rights started?

Yep, this past summer.

Why all you CL whiners hope FSW would get the CL rights is beyond me. How many years of "CL on ESPN" do you have to endure before you believe that FSW is NOT interested at the price of UEFA's asking?

For at least 3-4 years, people keep asking in this forum: when will ESPN's rights expire such that FSW can get the rights?

21. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I could care less what you think about this topic since you are obviously a deranged nutcase. Go back to your cave, stroke your dolls, and talk to your imaginary friends.

Now for everyone not obsessed with posting the same thing in every thread that contains the topic CL and ESPN...what are the odds of ESPN giving up on CL? If they decided to not get the rights, what are the odds that FSW or PPV would pick up the games? Anyone with actual knowledge of how negotiations went last time?

22. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Well, what can you do? you don't care what I think about this topic? then don't post it in a public forum? You post it? you are subject to my roasting.

Actual knowledge based on your wishful thinking? or actual knowledge based on facts?

How about this?

"ESPN will definitely give up the CL rights the next time. Wait for FSW to pick it up and everyone in the U.S. will be able to catch 16 games per match day"

If you like to hear this as a therapy, you get it...

23. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I'm certain Setanta and FSI have put feelers out to DirecTV, DISH, and iNDemand to see if they would offer any CL coverage on PPV if they acquired full TV rights. The answer was obviously a resounding no, probably because the games are in midweek in the afternoon, when virtually nobody is home to buy the product.

Soccertv suggested a while back that Setanta will probably acquire FULL Champions League rights starting in 2007 primarily for pub viewing (where the real money is on any soccer other than Liga Mexicana and to a small degree, MLS), plus their ultra-niche residential channel.

FSI has no need for the Champions League, because EPL, Liga Mexicana, and Copa Libertadores more than butters their bread in terms of selling subscriptions. MLS is a throw-on for the EPL off-season.