ESPN2 Choices for Champs League????

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by the101er, Oct 22, 2003.

1. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Maybe, Bristol is receiving.

My comment was meant to indicate that in general, if I am a fan of British soccer, I am not going to get that in Latin America. The other three games feature Lazio, Madrid and Milan, which is great for that market.

If ESPN can't split the feed to the US market from the Latin American market, then it definitely makes sense to play to the larger Latin American market. Point taken. And who knows, maybe they are much smarter than me, and wanted to save the Battle of Britain for what could be the pivotal return match at Old Trafford.

I have been wrong before, although admitting that on these boards can sometimes amount to virtual Harry Caray.

2. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Bristol is not receiving anything new.

You really have to go to ESPN Latin America's website and look at their schedule. Even if you can't get the 8 CL telecasts, you still can see the pattern of the games they carry.

"if I am a fan of British soccer, I am not going to get that in Latin America"?

How do you get that idea?

You know, ESPN Intl carry 8 games. Only 1 of those will appear in the U.S.A. By sheer probability, it's very likely that that game involves a Latin team, because the Latin teams get preferences. Sure, Latin America's coverage is Latin-team heavy...

But there are enough timeslots to show the British teams, while those games are not going to show up on ESPN2, or even TSN in Canada, but a Man U fan living in Colombia would have absolutely no trouble following his/her team in the CL.

Look at all the British team appearances on ESPN Latin America and ESPN DOS. And I even disregard the games against Latin teams (Arsenal x Internationale, Chelsea x Lazio).

Match day 1:
    Man U x Panathinaikos (6 hour delay)
    Sparta Prague x Chelsea (live on DOS)
    Bayern Munich x Celtic (live on DOS)

Match day 2:
    Locomotive Moscow x Arsenal (live on DOS)
    Stuttgart x Man U (live on DOS)
    Chelsea x Besiktas (6 hour delay)

Match day 3:
    Rangers x Man U (2 hour delay)

As a matter of fact, Americans are lucky that Chelsea x Besiktas was available on this continent, which means you can catch the game if you have a Mexican DBS, or in a bar with one such system. On the British-team heavy ESPN Asia, they didn't even televise that game.

So, is Latin America good to Man U fans or not?

3. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Real Madrid has also the Argentines Cambiasso and Solari.