ESPN - You've got to be f-ing kidding me

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Calexico77, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Are you complaining that ESPN is recognizing a tragic event?

3. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No that they choose to focus there coverage on ancient history, as opposed to the players, coaches and fans that have made this such a great tournament. If this was an addendum somewhere on the Soccer site, I'd get it. But it's the front page of espn.com. It's insulting.

4. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    I wouldn't call the extermination of 6 million innocent human beings less than 70 years ago ancient history. It's not insulting its recognizing that something far more important and tragic than any soccer game could ever hope to be happened there, and as Pedro Gomez said it is now a place where europeans can come together and celebrate.

5. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ancient history? I know you are speaking figuratively, but I wouldn't consider it ancient history if there are still a handful of people alive that experienced it.

But, I think it somewhat ironic that you are complaining about this. I find it rather appropriate considering that in each of the games, star players of each national team have read FIFA-prepared statements about ending 'current racism' in Europe. Or, am I missing the whole "United Against Racism" platform. Racism is the seed that becomes ethnic cleansing, etc.

6. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Didn't see anything wrong with this.
    Found it interesting, I didn't know this about that stadium.

One of the many reasons I love football, you really learn about history and the world we live in.

7. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And currently on the front page, there's an inspiring story about Cuahtemoc Blanco fulfilling a Mexican-American cancer patient's wish.

8. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it."
    --George Santayana

9. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a fantastic story. I actually got choked. Well worth watching and sharing.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it depends on whether you regard this story as an interesting story about that venue's past (rather like in 2006, noting that Nuremburg's stadium is directly next door to the Nazi parade grounds, with Hitler's podium still there) or whether you view it as some kind of anti-soccer outrage piece, implying shameless euros and soccer fans are being disrespectful to those who died after being held there.

The tone of the clip was certainly the former.

11. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people just reflexively whine about anything.

It was a feature story. They ran dozens of feature stories throughout the tournament. You could argue whether it was interesting or not. But this story was hardly this outrage you're screaming about.

If after watching this story, it's ESPN you're angry at then you clearly have taken your eye off the ball.

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. The thread started was just in a mood to start an ESPN sucks rant.

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this were the only coverage they gave the tournament, you might have a point. Might.

Otherwise, this just falls into the category of looking for something to bitch about.