ESPN The Magazine: Clint Dempsey Is A star Overseas, but...

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DannyUpper90, Jun 3, 2010.

1. DannyUpper90

DannyUpper90 Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Maryland
    What about in the US?

Am I the only one who read this scratching their heads?

My brother and I started a new blog a few weeks ago and I wrote a response to this. Could some of you guys/gals give me some feedback? I used to write for Yanks Abroad but didn't have the time to dedicate to it on a full-time basis.

George

2. andorj78

andorj78 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Getzville, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty lazy - sounds like he's just paraphrasing 2009 Confed Cup era Harkes commentary.

3. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I think the attitude he's describing concerning Clint was much more prevalent at the beginning of 2009 when the starting XI was still in flux. I remember shaking my head multiple times at comments like those described, "Doesn't track back," "Doesn't work hard," "Isn't consistent enough with the ball at his feet."

The article is way outdated and those who dislike Clint's play for country has dwindled from a notable minority to a fringe few.

One more applicable quote though, "The only bad press is no press."

If this article gets one more person to watch the world cup and then get interested in soccer, I applaud it, even if it is self-serving and crummy journalism.

4. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    To be fair to the writer, there are a few Dempsey haters left. There were certainly plenty of them in the PBP thread vs. Turkey. The fact that he scored the winner and was playing out of position in the first half didn't interest them.

The stupidest part about them is they expect him to have the workrate of a winger, even when he's playing up top. Silly.

5. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you, the author is stretching something too far to make a story. The article overstates both points it's trying to make: First, that Dempsey is a "star" in the EPL. Dempsey is a good player on a mid-table Premier League team. He is not a "star."

And second, of course, that Dempsey gets no respect here in the U.S. The author basically took a few comments made by John Harkes and extrapolated them into a story.

Let's be honest about how this all works. The director of editorial content at ESPN is sitting there with his writers, telling them to come up with new angles for promoting the U.S.'s best-known players. "Dempsey...Dempsey...what can we write about Dempsey that hasn't been written before..."

6. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right, that is what the editor was looking for. To bad this story has already been beaten to death since 2009.

This article is a total fail.

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Wahl trumped them with his "Little Rooster" angle.

(And that should totally displace "Deuce" as his new nickname...)

8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well to be fair, nowhere in that article is he referred to as a star.

9. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    says who?

Little Rooster makes for a nice literary device but it sucks as a nickname. I'd bet good money at least some of Clint's people actually call him Deuce.

anyway, whoever thinks Clint is anything but a badass can kick rocks.

10. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    You can be critical of someone without being a "hater". Dempsey brings something special that no one else brings to the USMNT. However, he also loafs at times, dribbles too much (e.g. 1st game against Brazil at Confed Cup) and turns the ball over too cheaply (e.g. v. Italy at Confed Cup; v. Honduras in 2009 qualifying).

Further, I want to see Demspey up top again with Torres and Holden on the pitch at the same time to see if that makes a difference. To be honest, Dempsey didn't look comfortable up top, but he was also incredibly sloppy and off his game in that 1st half. A lot of his goals in crucial games have come when he's been up top. I want to see if better support/service would increase his effectiveness up top.

Finally, I want the guy on the field. He is dynamic and can make anything happen. I think there are ways that he could be a more complete player with the Nats.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well said.

12. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this 'angle' is getting a little overplayed. All that matters is that Clint is respected by the other players on the team, who cares what John Harkes or espicially some random internet posters think.

Sure Clint has some ugly stretches in games, turns the ball over more than you would like, but for a team that struggles constantly at scoring goals, his nose for goal can't be overlooked.

13. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    what an odd article. Luke Cyphers, huh? that what happen when you go cheap on writers. And, I'm sure the good soccer writers are rolling in dough.

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    a very minority opinion had dempsey on the outs...

some 14 year old perhaps...

vast majority know clint is a stud, not just those overseas

15. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, this article is just another reason why I no longer go to ESPN for soccer news, particularly regarding MLS or US soccer.

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    espn soccer center had cech as a man to watch in south africa...

they are hyping their programming quite a bit...

wonder how much chris fowler really knows about the game...

although the NON-USA guys working for them are a huge upgrade...

every time lalas speaks, you know why he screwed up in management..

17. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeh ESPN does lack in many areas but hey at least they are actually sending people to South Africa, Remeber 2002, when most of the comentating teams were watching the matches from Bristol!

18. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your not running around like a chicken with your head cut off, many Americans purist will think your lazy. That the old American way. The new American way will be seen in the 2011 Gold Cup.

19. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I should clarify. ESPN Soccernet.com I believe is just lousy, especially for U.S. soccer. However, ESPN television coverage of MLS and U.S. soccer has improved significantly over the years.