ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    It would make sense for each streaming service to have a "tentpole" European League.
    ESPN+ - Bundesliga
    Paramount+ - Serie A
    Peacock - EPL

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess. But it would just be another example of the splintered, fragmented new world of streaming. And so far that effect has not lead to a better or cheaper experience for the customer.

p.s. I was like "Paramount+ who the hell are they?" and then I looked up that it seems to be a rebranding of CBS All Access, and then some. I guess kind of like Peacock.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    If you were to get the main 4 soccer streaming services, ESPN+ ($6), Peacock ($5), Paramount+($10, $5 option coming), Fanatiz ($8), it would be about $25.

People used to pay a minimum of $10 cover to see 1 closed circuit match and $15/month for Setanta Sports USA

BocaFan and Renzi repped this.
  4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I probably could have done the "$50 for a year" or whatever it was for Paramount Plus, but since I obviously don't know my schedule that far out AND (barring a channel dispute) since I get the games in Spanish, it was probably an easy decision to save the money.

But if I decide to spend the $5 later on, I figure they'll have the bugs worked out.

I just can't wait until Comcast dumps their share of Hulu and Disney+ hopefully ends up with Star. I've heard it could happen this year, but probably won't until 2024. At least my Disney+ is paid up until late 2023.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1930 NorthBank, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    OK, but the Comparisons you cite Are really circa late 1990’s not circa 2010’s.

Still, I will admit that maybe at the moment aggregated streaming costs (for both sports & general content) could be lower than a full blown cable package, But I am pretty sure it’s not gonna end up that way. We are already seeing signs of dramatic price hikes in this nascent industry, e.g. Netflix.

That said, my main point in all of the posts I've made is nothing to do with costs. It has all to do with functionality, reliability, quality, ease of use, UI, etc, etc.

6. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'm all for Paramount getting Serie A, as like Peacock (and Sling) but unlike ESPN, they remember where you left off in a replay across different devices and usually have it under a "continue watching" tab.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See now there’s an example of a no-brainer feature that should exist across the board!

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What people want: Pay for what they want such as broadcast, ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, but not for ESPNU, Disney Channel or FS2.

Honestly, I'm not sure this will ever happen. The contracts between channel owners and providers won't allow it. Channel owners want to use their big channels (ESPN) to push out their niche channels (Disney XD). If it were possible for them to sell channels direct to consumer, I'm sure they'd be doing already.

We've also seen channels like Fox Soccer Plus (in some cases), HBO and Showtime charge out the schnoz. It was the same with Fox Soccer Plus. They can't charge all subscribers the fees, so they charge some of the subscribers...the same amount of fees they need to carry that programming.

Instead, we get things like the ESPN app and Discovery Plus that have exclusive shows and archives of prior shows. Sometimes, the ESPN app will have alternate angles, but that's obviously not every game. For a lot of their live programming, you need a TV subscription.

What the channel owners are doing is considering their streaming services to be additional programming that doesn't "fit" on their linear channels.

I suppose I sort of win out because I have multiple uses for Peacock and the ESPN app. When it comes to USMNT away games, it seems like most of them will be on TUDN or Univision.

I guess I'm turning the music up for those games.

9. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    They will be on Paramount+

10. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think ESPN gonna miss the Serie A if they lose it to P+. I mean ESPN has a lot of properties and only so much time of the day to show them on regular cable TV, the streaming is key, the die-hard Eurosnob soccer fans just need to realize that soccer most of the time on American tv on the English speaking end isn't very profitable and streaming makes the best since.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ABC is showing Bundesliga.

This is big-time. ABC doesn't show a lot of soccer these days.

12. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    i don't know if you guys have a problem with this but i do
    so i watched bvb bayern game and every time goal happened taylor tweelman was basicly writing a book how haaland or whom ever got to play he did what defender did wrong why he choose that angle and what goalie did worng
    and then i switched to juve lazio now lazio scores there no analyzing how he did it he scored and moved on
    why do they have american comentators for euro leagues
    this is not nfl where i need hear life story of a player for 45 seconds down time play moved move on too

13. UEFAJason

UEFAJason Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'd rather listen to Arlo and Co. than anyone else who peaked in MLS. American commentators should stick to MLS unless they agree to not make a caricature whenever watching Ronaldo or in the more recent example, Bayern/BVB. I'm not saying the Queen's English is required for commentary, but give footy the respect it deserves. Otherwise more people will resort to watching Telemundo on mute while listening to TalkSport like the recent WC.

14. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ugh

15. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    ESPN picked up the (non-exclusive) NHL rights on a seven year deal (in other news)

(they get four Stanley Cup FInals, no word on who they're teaming with)

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The smart money may say NBC is out, unless:
    NBC takes Sunday and select playoff games, as they have been.
    NHL on Peacock?

Now when would ESPN have time for NHL on ESPN or ESPN2? Sundays and Mondays seem the most likely. Fridays?

17. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    I wouldn't think Fox or CBS would take it... (neither really have the infrastructure built up for it), which kinda leaves NBC/Peacock/USA as a default. (remember, the other 3 stanley cup finals will be on whoever the other partner is)

18. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    The big news out of the ESPN-NHL deal is that nhl.tv, the out of market streaming package, will be rolled into ESPN+. This will save me the $100+ I've been paying for nhl.tv, so good news.

19. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund averaged 576 k viewers on ABC, including 195 k viewers P18-49.

Redbullsnation2012 and Kryptonite repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1945 Kryptonite, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    I've read that as they're doing it like how they've done with UFC.

If you subscribe to ESPN+, you have the option of adding NHL out-of-market games for an additional fee.

Yes, some games will be included with ESPN+, but only a handful.

The rest of the NHL deal isn't much different than it was with NBC. Maybe they pick up a few more TVs being on ESPN, but I can't imagine the difference between ESPN and NBCSN is that many...maybe some hotel rooms, if that still matters, but with people having logins and laptops/streaming devices, I'd imagine the days of tuning into a hotel room TV are rapidly fading.

The last time I was on the road, it was at an Airbnb and I took my streaming stick. I usually have a laptop or tablet with me that I can watch when the TV doesn't suffice. The last time I was in a hotel, it was just for one night.

I'd still prefer to watch on a TV, but can do the tablet in a pinch or if it's something like ESPN+.

Still, I'd imagine the days of figuring out the channel lineup for a TV in another city are almost over. I can't imagine anyone watches hotel PPV anymore.

21. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'm hoping the return of MLS means Taylor Twellman is off FA Cup from here on out.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, Paramount and ESPN are good deals. Not so sure about Peacock because you don't exactly know what you're paying for ahead of time. "Random EPL matches" is the only way to describe their content.

23. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a principled position on holding the line on how many fragmented streaming subscriptions you're willing to do. And I can totally relate... so far I've avoided a CBS subscription and have watched my team's Europa matches in Spanish on Unimas.

But it's sad that you'd be prevented from watching (legally anyway) Serie A play. And I have a sneaking suspicion that this new delivery model will wear people like us down sooner or later, and we'll end up paying the piper.

Kryptonite repped this.
  25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little easier on the wallet (IMO) to take one of the long-term offers. I've done that a few times and I always put a note on my phone's calendar to remind myself to cancel. I probably wouldn't have gone into Disney+ if I couldn't get three years for the price of two. The Verizon deal (extra year for switching to unlimited data) was a nice bonus.

It certainly helps that there's other stuff I watch on Peacock and ESPN+.

In terms of soccer, if you follow teams or players from all over the world, ouch. It's really at the point where if you're not a casual fan or a fan of 1-2 teams, good luck. I'll watch an EPL game if it's on, but I don't live and die with any team.