ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ESPN+ showing the English super-cup next week: Arsenal v Liverpool. Sat 11:20a EDT. They're even showing a Community Shield highlights show the following morning.

Can't believe they're actually playing that match this season ("they" meaning the English FA, not espn :p )

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks so much for that heads-up! I've been completely swamped of late and can't really follow all the UEFA stuff, let alone the impending start of next season! This seems crazy that they're playing the Community Shield just a few weeks after the FA Cup Final. What a weird time it is.

Anyway, from what I could glean KO may be 11:30am ET, not that Wikipedia was any help with this... the page is basically a skeleton!

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am very tempted to switch to back to Verizon from sprint.

Having ESPN+ and Disney+ included would be the icing on the cake since I do not want to pay for either one.
    Thanks for the info.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read something that suggests the top two tiers may not be necessary, but there could be an add-on with the other unlimited tiers.

If interested, I'd suggest finding the nearest Verizon corporate store. I find them to be a little better than the "Authorized Retailers" or whatever.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I usually go to Costco and they do a good job with deals.

7. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I just started watching the Charity Shield and Martin Tyler's audio seems to drop out at least once about every minute or so (I'm 7 minutes in). Anyone else notice this? Trying to figure out if I need to re-boot the box.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed the same thing. It didn't last that long... maybe 15 mins? Then I didn't notice it any more. I suspect it was a problem from the International Feed rather than ESPN per se.

Another thing I noticed was that they commentators graphic came up as being "Ian Darke & Chris Sutton" rather than who it was "Martin Tyler & Stuart Robson". That was funny/odd, but I'm thankful I didn't have to listen to Sutton who I find frequently arrogant & pompous. I like Robson way way way better. And Tyler is still probably my favorite English PBP guy of all time.

9. H-TownTiger

H-TownTiger Member

Liverpool FC
    Jun 3, 2009
    Houston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ian and Sutton called the game on BT Sports 1 as I watched it on there. ESPN probably just used the BT video feed.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying you think they used a different video feed (Darke) from audio feed (Tyler)? That would seem an odd/risky thing to do.

Or maybe the people who provided the Tyler feed just messed up the graphics and listed Darke? That's probably the "better" answer, all things considered.

11. H-TownTiger

H-TownTiger Member

Liverpool FC
    Jun 3, 2009
    Houston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ESPN took BT Sports Video feed and had Tyler and Robson audio feed over it. Tyler and Robson were probably the "world feed" announcers especially since Martin is a Sky Sports PBP guy. Just like when Fox Sports would have the in house guys audio over the world feed guys such as Phil Bonney when broadcasting Bundesliga matches.

12. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darby-Barrow Carabo Cup ghost tie is lit AF.

13. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    On Friday, Bayern Munich vs Schalke is on ESPN at 2:30 Eastern.

On Saturday and Sunday, ESPN and ESPN2 have no soccer.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1814 Kryptonite, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Heads up:

In the second half of the Scotland - Czech Republic match, the clock hit 46:22, the screen went black, started flickering on and off and they put scores from other games up. After the clock says 46:45, it goes black and that's when the scores go up.

All was right by 47:08.

"We've lost our feed from..." is your cue to open your eyes, as it was fixed by then. There's no need to mute the TV.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just a heads-up that the Eredivisie kicks off this weekend. ESPN+ scheduled 4 matches- The usual ones involving the big 3 and also Utrecht v AZ. Although I think the latter has been postponed. Not sure why but guessing COVID.

Don't see any Scottish Premiership matches listed, however.

16. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    The Utrecht-AZ match was postponed so Utrecht would have more time to prepare for their upcoming Champions League match against Dynamo Kiev.

17. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Good. Fewer matches on the linear channels means fewer matches with sub-par commentary from the likes of Bonetti, fewer matches larded with promos and graphics for other ESPN events, fewer matches with spoilers of other games.

Just let me stream the international feed in peace.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  18. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Correction on my recent post....it is Alkmaar who has the Champions League match (It is Tuesday at 1pm)...I was thinking Utrecht regarding the cancelatlion and typed their name instead of the visitor names.

Hopefully, a substitute match will be provided.

19. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don’t see that and I’m real skeptical because the US Open Semifinal will be starting at 4 on espn.

20. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The following Friday. There's no Bundesliga this weekend (German Cup instead). The Bayern-Schalke game is listed for ESPN, ESPN Deportes AND ESPN+ (for those that don't have cable/sat/OTT).

21. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ahhhh OK. Thanks. I was mad when I checked the on screen guide for this Friday.

22. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    The SPL is also not listed on the ESPN+ Roku App (they have icons for all of the other leagues).

The only place the SPL-ESPN deal has been reported is on World Soccer Talk, with no sources, and that was nearly two weeks ago.

I don't know much about that site, but I am wondering how accurate their reporting is on this???

BocaFan repped this.
  23. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    For Eredivisie fans, the postponed Utrecht-AZ match has been replaced by:

Sunday 10:40 am RKC Waalwijk vs. Vitesse

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, 24 hours later still nothing showing. Starting to smell like fake news. Shame.

25. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Doubt it would matter in the scheduling but Oakland A’s executive Billy Beane recently bought a minority stake in AZ. I believe he had already been some sort of adviser to club for a few years.