ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that's what I do A LOT. For ESPN who are notorious for going over their overly optimistic end-times. Or for highlights shows that sometimes get pushed back by some previous show that ran late. And of course for any soccer match which has the potential for ET & PK's.

That covers me nearly 100% of the time, but not quite. When ESPN makes a last-minute shift of a show from ESPN to ESPN2 or visa versa, we're screwed. No easy way to cover that, so I've missed quite a few huge chunks of matches as a result. NBC & FOX don't tend to do this much AFAIK. But ESPN sure does.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it is on mine...I suppose I need to just automatically assume games will run long, even if there's a postgame show, which I tend to think of as a buffer. I think for a while, the OT would only run 12 minutes if the last game ended at 7:48.

Since it's not every week, heck, it's probably not even half of the NFL season, it's just harder for me to get into that mindset.

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    You would think that it is easy to program (by provider) the DVR to adjust to such last minute changes. Obviously, it has not happened yet.

4. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It's not. The program guide info for all cable companies or other MPVDs comes from third-party vendors like Tribune Media Services and usually only updates once a day, overnight. Changing the program info in the middle of something that's airing would screw up DVR software big-time, you'd end up at best *losing the recording* if that happened. Realistically, it's on the user to compensate.

5. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Thanks for letter me know.

6. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    U-23 Canary Islands Tournament Partial SPOILER below

I'm wondering if someone can help me out by checking two games on the ESPN app. I don't know if these are on ESPN+ or ESPN3 but I'm an ESPN+ subscriber. Anyway, can you test to see if two games work for you: go to Browse > Soccer > scroll down to the bottom and then ffwd through the list a bit until you get to 11/14 Argentina-Canary Islands (or vice versa) and then on 11/17 USA-Canaray Islands. Both are U-23 friendlies.

The Argentina-Canary game was working last week but I left the room and came back to find the screensaver running. An Unable to Play error came up. That same error now appears for both of these games when I try to play. I've logged out of my account and logged back in but no luck. And other games work fine, so I think it's these two files.

I'm using the Amazon Firestick but if the files are working for folks on other devices, I can hook up my Roku.

I sent an email to ESPN support but I'm sure that's a black hole.

Thanks for the help.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You nicely warned folks of spoiler, but I wanted you to know that there's a BigSoccer feature (easiest via web-browser) where you can...

Show Spoiler
    ...classify a block of text as "Spoiler" so that someone would have to actually click to reveal.

8. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Just checked on my web browser and the 11/14 match is only listed in Spanish and was shown as unavailable when I loaded it. Same thing for the English version of the 11/17 match, however the Spanish-language version from Deportes is available. As it was from Deportes, it's an ESPN3 game so you'll need a cable subscription.

9. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Thanks for checking, AD. I've got a DTV subscription so ESPN3 should show. I also have EN Espanol on DTV so Deportes works for me. I'll check that version.

Didn't know about the bb code editor, so thanks NB. Normally my move is to just put the color in white text so people highlight it to see, but in this instance given the type of question, I figured I'd just put a big gap of space since the spoiler itself was buried a bit.

10. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Fantastic news for those who enjoy highlight shows!

ESPN+ is now showing the EFL Highlights Show. It's scheduled to show live at 4am ET on Sunday morning, so it should be available for on demand viewing by Sunday morning.

11. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    GET IN

12. shanks909

shanks909 Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Very good news!

Wish ESPN+ would take over the distribution of the EFL ifollow streams...frame rate not good, and audio hit or miss.

13. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I haven’t been able to watch efl highlights since the days of sky sports news on fox soccer channel. Awesome news! Espn+ is awesome.

14. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Really glad they picked up the League provided highlights. I still like the dplay (formerly Quest, formerly Ch. 5) highlights shown in the UK but requires VPNing in. League highlights will be easy to watch on my new 65" Roku TV :)

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  15. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

16. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Coppa Italia started up today on ESPN+ with little fanfare, two matches today, three tomorrow and two more Thursday.

Mostly the bottom tier Serie A teams involved at this point along with the lower divisions.

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it should matter any, but I see ESPN Classic is off U-Verse and I'd imagine DirecTV as well.

As more and more rights to archived material have gone to channels like PAC-12, BTN and LHN, ESPN Classic has gotten less and less relevant.

Still, this is the end of an era. They had one US-Mexico game (I think 2005) live. I remember pregame starting at something like 7pm on one of the ESPN or ESPN2, then switching to Classic for the actual game at 7:25 or so, then back to a different channel for postgame. ESPN2 had a late-night delay of the game after NCAA football. At the time, it was a whole big thing with flipping channels at specific times.

They also had "Sounds of the Game" from the FBS playoffs which was noteable for having no announcers and the halftime shows of both bands. Hopefully this continues on via one of the streaming options.

Still, RIP the home of "Top Ten Reasons" and the old-school ESPN ticker.

HomietheClown repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess I don't pay enough attention to rights of future events or remember them like I should. The way ESPN has seemingly lost a lot of stuff to Fox, NBC and other groups makes me surprised when they still have something.

Turning into ESPN for a soccer game seems almost retro at this point.

21. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    They've been acquiring rights that live on what feels to me like the 2nd tier a lot lately: MLS, Serie A, Bundesliga, English Cups, etc. Kind of a necessity going forward.

I am unsure if the Euro Finals were tied to qualifiers as far as rights, but they probably got a decent amount of ESPN+ subs from their Euros qualifiers.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good news for the most part about the Euros.

IT will be interesting to see how their numbers compare to the last couple tournaments though now that Univision is competing with them for eyeballs.

I know for the last couple tournaments I was mainly interested in the English feeds but now with Univision and Unimas probably showing all the games on live OTA TV I will be tempted to watch most of the games on those channels.
    And during simultaneous Kickoff matches if they consider doing the "Zona Futbol gol alertas" type of format it would be even more intriguing for me to step away from the ESPN coverage.

Let's see how it all plays out.

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game in Columbus was Saturday September 3 at 7:30 P.M. according to https://www.espn.com/soccer/matchstats?gameId=173300 which I found by trial and error. I found another game in that Hexagonal and increased the numbers at the end of the URL until I got to the 2004-2005 Bundesliga. Then I decreased the numbers and found it. ESPN has the lineups. Unfortunately they don't have an article or the channel. I tried to find a Columbus Dispatch article about it, but I couldn't. I'm not saying the Columbus Dispatch didn't write about the game, but I couldn't find anything. According to another site that has NCAA Football TV schedules going back to 2005, ESPN2 showed USC at Hawaii at 7:00 P.M. and UCLA at San Diego State at 10:15 P.M., so the WCQ couldn't have been on ESPN2 until the middle of the night.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You don't even have ESPN TV channel? Come on, dude. You don't win anything if you have the most hipster points when you die. Time to open up your wallet just a wee bit for ESPN. They're obviously showing content that you're super-interested in.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #1700 HomietheClown, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    You are being a bit presumptuous here as you usually are pertaining to my posts.

(Spoiler alert) I have ESPN. (Shocker):rolleyes:

I just personally like watching matches as live as possible and OTA television is a few seconds faster on my TV set than any cable channel is. And don't get me started on the streaming delay.

Also, the way it appears on my Large High Definition Television looks a bit crisper via OTA when compared to satellite feeds.
    (You will never hear a Hipster say that.)
    ;)

So I am very tempted to watch most of the tournament on Univision and Unimas.