ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Markgraf stumbled over her words and tried to say something about Mandzudkic putting a shot on target.
    Just couldn't take it anymore.

2. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    But just think ESPN got to check off their "female voice" list of things to do today. Its really absurd and looking fwd Markgraff is doing a bunch of matches.

I just dont get it. Female presenter fine but why is this being forced upon us. Im sure bbc and itv didnt put women on their commentary just because they needed a female voice. And they do it with all of their sports now bar nba and nfl. Hmmm wonder why? Too much money and viewers to lose.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have no problem with Markgraf on ESPN FC and shows like that.

As a commentator? Needs improvement to say the least.

4. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    How many and which of the ESPN commentators are actually at the stadium?
    I expect the British ones are really there.
    Is the studio really in France, with the "experts' all over there?

Thanks,

PH

5. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously Ian Darke is. I pretty sure Champion is. Rae isn't because Moreno was on ESPN FC. Max Bretos isn't. I'm not sure about Healey. The original set got flooded, so ESPN quickly had to throw together a new set. If all goes to plan, they'll be back at the original location after the first week of the tournament.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Thanks.
    Is that set (the flooded and replacement) in France or in the US with a false back-projected scene of Paris?

PH

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Alejandro Moreno is in the stadium but watching with a blindfold on, apparently.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    How can I answer this without spoiling things?

9. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pierre Head repped this.
  10. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 LaxBandit, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    UEFA EURO 2016 Schedule/Commentators - ESPN/ESPN Deportes - Monday, June 13.

9:00 am ET - Spain vs Czech Republic -
    Commentators - ESPN - Max Bretos (Play-By-Play) - Alejandro Moreno (Analyst).
    Commentators - ESPN Deportes - Emilio Fernando Alonso (Play-By-Play) - Rafa Puenta (Analyst) -
    Martin Ainstein (Reporter).

12:00 pm ET - Republic Of Ireland vs Sweden -
    Commentators - ESPN - Adrian Healey - (Play-By-Play) - Tommy Smyth (Analyst) - Julie Foudy (Analyst).
    Commentators - ESPN Deportes - Omar Orlando Salazar (Play-By-Play) - Ricardo Mayorga (Analyst).

2:30 pm ET - Belgium vs Italy -
    Commentators - ESPN - Ian Darke (Play-By-Play) - Taylor Twellman (Analyst).
    Commentators - ESPN Deportes - Fernando Palomo (Play-By-Play) - Tato Noriega (Analyst).

UEFA EURO 2016 Schedule/Commentators - ESPN/ESPN Deportes - Tuesday, June 14.

12:00 pm ET - Austria vs Hungary-
    Commentators - ESPN - Derek Rae (Play-By-Play) - Kate Markgraf (Analyst).
    Commentators - ESPN Deportes - Ricardo Ortiz (Play-By-Play) - Mario Kempes (Analyst).

3:00 pm ET - Portugal vs Iceland -
    Commentators - ESPN - Ian Darke (Play-By-Play) - Taylor Twellman (Analyst).
    Commentators - ESPN Deportes - Fernando Palomo (Play-By-Play) - Tato Noriega (Analyst).

Commentator Assignments - http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...6-espn-espn-deportes-commentator-assignments/
    Commentator Bios - http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/05/177157/

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 LaxBandit, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    The commentator teams will call a significant number of matches from stadium sites in France -

Ian Darke (who will be paired with Taylor Twellman or Steve McManaman during the tournament)
    will call all his matches from France beginning with the France vs Romania opener on June 10.

Jon Champion and Stewart Robson will also call their assigned matches in France.

Fernando Palomo and Tato Noriega will be in France during the tournament and will call 16 matches -
    including the opening match - two quarterfinal matches - one semifinal match and the final match.

Ricardo Ortiz and Mario Kempes will be on-site in France to call two quarterfinal matches and one semifinal match.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/05/177157/

12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Thanks!
    So all the other English commentators, Rae, Bretos and Healey are not on site but doing it from a video feed?
    When they can only see the transmitted video, they miss a lot of the action going on off screen.
    I don't understand this. How much more would it cost to have them at the stadium?
    I guess ESPN must not expect large viewer numbers in the US for the games done from video feed in studio.

PH

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Tommy Smyth "With a Y" doing commentary for Ireland-Sweden.

Good Job ESPN! :thumbsup:

14. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A lot. And I'm not even sure about the logistics for acquiring your own commentary position in the stadium.

I don't think the equation here is quite right. ESPN has already paid for the rights, they've been paid for the advertising. Yeah this is a cost cutting move but ESPN is probably betting that it won't have an impact on ratings at all. We also have to keep in mind, as always, what matters to the serious BigSoccer fan and what matters to the casual fans who make up the vast majority of the audience. Will they care that Bretos is not on site?

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    espn has been covering more college football and basketball via monitors in Bristol. They may have done it for some professional games this past year too.

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Disney is not pleased with the amount of money ESPN has to shell out on many things and cost cutting has gone in to effect. Broadcasts via monitor is chintzy, but it does represent some savings. And they're still able to have announcers promote ESPN products through the broadcast, unlike a pool commentator.

17. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Thanks for the info.
    Then what determines if they use a stadium commentator or a video commentator? They must consider some matches
    to be more significant than others.
    About Bretos, it would be better if he were somewhere else entirely!

PH

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Great choice for this match!
    "All he had to do was blow on it!":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PH

19. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bretos is probably the worst thing about the euros besides Abby. I would expect someone like Bretos from FOX, but not ESPN.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Tommy is killing me with his jokes. Solid.:thumbsup:

21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I would say weekend and later afternoon weekday matches are prioritized, and marquee match-ups (Belgium-Italy today -- which is also later afternoon) so yeah they'd like for Darke to call the matches that will be seen most in person.

Pierre Head repped this.
  22. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    The Euros are my first major tournament with the full power of iptv. I know this makes me the biggest geek in the world but enjoying a diverse selection of commentary. First of all, nothing beats ESPN's video quality via DirecTV so that is what I project on to the big screen for the matches. On the second TV I put on a channel via iptv for the audio. Today, for example, I put on Telecinco/Spain for the Spain vs Czech Republic match. Then for the middle match I went to SVT-2 from Sweden. Now I have RAI-1 on for the final match which is about to start.

The ESPN video is anywhere from 10-45 seconds ahead of the iptv channels so I have to 'pause' the ESPN video and synch it to the iptv picture (couldn't be simpler). So today I got to enjoy Spanish commentary for the Spain match, Swedish commentary for the Swedish match (have to admit I only lasted 1 half with SVT2 before I switched the audio to BBC-1. I can handle Spanish and Italian just fine but Swedish was just a little strange. Nonetheless, very happy to have the experience).

Simply great to get a very wide range of experiences from across Europe. For the first 2 days, I mainly put on the espn3 tactical/aerial video on the 2nd TV but that needed a "synch' as well as they are nowhere near the ESPN video signal. Thing I'll stick to this method for most of the rest of the tournament. I know its not everybody's cup of tea but wanted to throw it out for others who may have iptv or other sources of tv/audio to follow the matches.

SA (the geek)
    www.soccertvblog.com

TJNash repped this.
  23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awww. I had to miss it.

:(

I've mentioned it before, but I know he certainly has his detractors, but even they have to admit that Tommy would make a GREAT pub partner...especially if one uses Ray Hudson as a benchmark.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Derek Rae has the ability to make the most pointless statements seem dramatic. "And the corner-kick count keeps rising and rising!!!"

Not saying its good or bad, its just amazing.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A Labor demonstration in France is affecting today's coverage. The ESPN set had to be evacuated.