ESPN Picks WC PBP Man

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by monster, Oct 19, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah tyler for the Eurosnobs I guess, but I dont see whats wrong with JP or some of the established american braodcasters ESPN has

3. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Bleecch. Much as I like Martin Tyler, I loathe Alan Parry. Over-opinionated, can't do play-by-play without being hypercritical of what he sees in front of him, especially if he is watching a club that lacks a big following.

4. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting comment...

5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All i know is that I find it quit boring watching a soccer game that sounds like a golf match...

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not as bad as having a commentator "teach" you the rules of soccer every few minutes, which for some reason most American commentators just can't resist doing.

7. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Im sorry this guy puts folks to sleep all he really say most of the time is names nothing else really, and he has no emotion, listening to Keith jackson, or or any of the College football guys. I rather Have Maxie Pad Bretos( without the eurosucking).

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1985 called and wants its post back.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I wish, but it still happens!! Like A LOT!

(But actually I hear it while watching "American sports" too so its not just a soccer-announcer thing.)

10. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    They need to bring Ian Darke back too. I still fondly remember his comment during the Colombia-Romania game in 1994 about a Colombian player "feeling an orgy of self recrimination" after missing a open shot on goal.

11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    there is a video out there in cyber world of two English guys pretending to be American commentators of soccer that is really funny. Surely it will be posted here in 3.....2....

12. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Just a guess, but Jon Champion is probably contracted to call the World Cup for ITV (they will definitely have more matches than just Clive Tyldsley and Peter Drury can do), hence the hiring of Martin Tyler.

13. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Whats wrong is that ESPN has gone your route quite a bit and repeatedly gets panned for it by the US fanbase.

Like it or not, the average US soccer fan is more closely aligned with what you consider a "eurosnob." Soccer fans in the US may be picky, but then again, so are hardcore baseball fans. It may seem whiny to complain about football lines on a soccer field, but I should suspect that Red Sox fans would be equally upset with similar treatment of Fenway.

Personally, I think you cater to their purists, making the non-converted curious to learn rather than dumb it down to appeal to the non-converted.

ESPN must have hired the right people finally, b/c it would appear that they are listening to the actual US soccer fan these days.

Again, hats off to ESPN.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no such thing as an "average" or "actual" soccer fan.

15. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    sorry but he is right... nothing has changed with most US commentators.. they preach to uninformed.. thinking their brilliant insight will gain viewers... ESPN seems to have gotten over this and understand its dealing with a more informed viewer.. that said JP is excellent.. but most US commentators.. either "teach" the game.. try the faux "mexican" commentary.. ie goooooool... or go the comedy duo team..

give me a tried and true commentary.. Tyler is the best.. eurosnob?..sure..dont like Tyler.. then you must like one of the 3 above.. this isnt madden..

Cantona---

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

Any specific instance you care to point to as evidence of this? (And no, "This one time in this one match, a buddy of mine who was watching told me that this one announcer..." doesn't count.)

The reason why I ask is because as someone who does watch quite a few games in a given year with -- gasp! -- American play-by-play announcers on the mic, I tell you that the NASL-style "let's explain the rules to everybody because no one knows the game" commentary barely existed even at the beginning of MLS 15 years ago, and is more or less nonexistent today, outside of the imaginations of many people.

(That said, I will agree about the contrived "gooool" calls that Jon Shrader and Christian Miles feel the need to do, but then, neither of those jackasses are being discussed here.)

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can honestly not remember the last time someone has explained a rule to a viewer. They may take a specific play and explain how the rule applied to that play, but that's kind of what analysts are supposed to do.

18. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Of course, I wrote that assuming the reader would understand the very basics of discourse where literalism does not apply.

I am not literally defining the "actual" US soccer fan. I'm merely describing what I consider to be the pervailing sense of the US soccer fanbase. Determining the "general sense" (does that one comport with your PC meter better?) of a particular fanbase is par for the course in media.

The great thing is, we'll see who's right....

I happen to think the general US Soccer fanbase wants a eurocentric representation of the sport (not b/c it's europe, b/c that's the game in its purest form), at least until US leagues can be competitive.

Others feel like we must stubbornly put an American stamp on the game and otherwise feel threatened by "eurosnobs."

ESPN seems to be coming around to my point of view with full HD EPL/La Liga coverage with foreign commentary feeds, the very likely possibility of it getting Setanta's US EPL rights next season (expanding coverage into better timeslots), and the hiring of Mr. Tyler for WC 2010 (possibly to even do 'nats games).

So, if this model turns out to be a loser, I'll eat crow. However, I happen to think US Soccer fans in general are stoked with this direction.

19. IrishInKentucky

IrishInKentucky New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Been here 20 years
    My first experience of American commentators...1990 World Cup on TNT:eek:
    Coverage has improved a lot over here and ESPN is leading the way, but there is not another nation out there that can match the overall quality of commentators from BBC/ITV/SKY
    JP is not my cup of tea because when he gets excited he seems to narrate EVERYTHING that is happening on the screen.
    Sounds to me like Ice Hockey or even radio commentary
    Everything is slapshot and so is his commentary

Martin Tyler sums up in his interview why its a good idea to look outside the US base of commentators
    "I think I've been acquired for what I am and not what I might become," Tyler said. "The thing that I'd liken it to is what we have in reverse over here. We wouldn't put U.K.-based commentary on the NBA or NFL. The description of an American sport comes from American voices and I think maybe those who have made the decision about me would like to get, if you like, a more global feel to what is a global game. Of course the words are only incidental to the pictures in television. But you can help by pushing the odd phrase in the right direction."

That being said...I would be interested to hear MT and JP doing a US friendly game together as a trail run:rolleyes:

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say this as if personal taste is quantifiable. No one is "right" when it comes to an announcer. It has nothing to do with being "PC." It has to do with pretending that your preferencesepresent what is right/average/actual. That's fairly dishonest when trying to discuss something subjective.

I'm psyched they got Martin Tyler. I would love to see JP do the US games and Tyler handle lots of big-name matchups. Whether that is a "winner" is irrelevant because you don't have an apples to apples comparison to show how something else would have done.

In other words, just enjoy the games and stop worrying about the announcers and whether they match your opinion and make you feel better than someone who likes another guy.

21. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well see I still see Tyler as Boring and not exciting , not giving substance to a game that often needs it... Like the 2008 euros i think ESPN just want to Passify the Eurosnobs and others alike.

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    and JP is exciting?

23. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    First of all, whether or not something is a winner from ESPN's perspective is very much quantifiable...they'll simply guage the reactions they get from the commentary. Just like they did with O'brien. People will let them know how they feel...if it's generally good, well, they'll react according. If it's generally bad, they'll react accordingly. That's objective, not subjective.

As to one's subjective opinion, I'm not suggesting that any one person's opinion is "right" or "wrong", I'm merely giving my subjective opinion about the general sense of the US Soccer market. To the extent that you believe a general market is intangible, then you've pretty much written off the entire field of marketing. Most professionals would disagree with you....on the contrary, marketing is quite important and tangible. There are certain constants that the average baseball fan wants to see in baseball...I don't know why you would feel soccer is any different.

I should suspect that ESPN's drive towards a more eurocentric approach to soccer in this country is due to feedback they've been getting over the years from US fans who have been quite upset with efforts at "Americanizing" soccer. You may disagree, but in the end, the evidence is very much point in my direction. Facts are facts...ESPN is going euro footy....they wouldn't be so bold at random my friend. Oh well.

My contention is that the US Soccer market is going very much towards soccer played at the highest level and presented in a traditional polished fashion; both of which point towards a European bent. ESPN's moves tend to support this contention. Put 2 and 2 together.

It is what it is. Nothing to feel inferior about.

24. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho? wow that would have been great!

all they need after that would be Sven!

25. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Having Martin Tyler call the games on ESPN won't make me feel as dirty watching in the games in English. And if Univision drops the ball on the HD signal, it'll be game, set, and match.