ESPN: Meola should go over Hahnemann to the WC

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Simon Birch, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more comfortable with Hahnemann than Howard at this point.

2. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't even read the article (ESPN is firewalled) and already words fail me.

Then again, if Keller gets hurt during the World Cup, we're in a lot of trouble anyway. If he gets hurt before the World Cup, Bruce will send out the bat-signal down Blackburn way

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony's time is up. Time for someone else. Sorry Tony, just how I see it.

4. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmmm..... if Tony was there... then he wouldn't be here..... that actually may not be all that bad for us..... wait... we traded Wells. Dammit.

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Wells is so good, he's the one fighting for the 3rd spot...not Meola.

6. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    Is this article serious? I mean not to bash him, he's had a great career, but he's looked pretty bad this year and last year. I think his time is up.

7. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Have you seen our defense play? Meola is with not doubts, one of the better players on the team.

8. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but seriously, think about what you're saying.... it's not like we're Barcalona... :p ;)

9. ajax81435

ajax81435 New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Telluride
    This is absolutely the biggest brain fart I've seen from soccernet in quite some time. Meola is an out of shape keeper with no place being anywhere near Germany this summer. He looked aweful coming off his line in the Jamaica game and it was a farce that he was there in the first place. He not only was slow to come out, but he came out at the absolutely wrong angle. I am not discrediting his place in the history of US Soccer, however his name at this point should only be associated with history. Hahnemann on the other hand was named CCC Keeper of the year and will in all likelyhood be playing in the EPL next year. No contest in my opinion.

The only contest in the US net this summer will be for the number 2 spot between Howard and Hahnemann. I'm tipping Hahnemann for the spot.

10. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    while I'm not a proponent of "Tony to Germany '06" I'm a little lost by those of you who trash Meola's RBNY efforts from this season. Without him we're 0-4-0, lights out.

I'll also go out on a limb and say Wells will be LUCKY to have half the MLS career that Meola's had. Not to mention the fact that he hasn't a prayer of seeing 100 caps.

11. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not saying Tony's done bad for us this season. And agreed, if he wasn't in net, it woulda been much different. Our defensive line and our scoring is what's lacking.

Now that being said, there's no way he's in the top 3 of US GK's at this moment.

12. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same Meola that watched several goals go by last weekend against DC? Wow. That's a stretch to say he belongs on first team. He's been awesome and I'll continue to support him on RBNY, but that's not even rational.

13. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    If Tony goes to the World cup (which is unlikely), we might as well call it a day.

Conway is a horrendous keeper. We would get decimated every night.

14. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Did you watch the game? Meola could have had 7 players in front of him and there wouldn't have been a change in the score...the three defenders didn't do jack. If you are gonna talk smack on Meola, at least acknowledge the several saves he made in that game.

15. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel more comfortable with Meola than anybody but Keller, Hahnemann, Friedel or Howard... so that's saying something.

But sending him to Germany is a bit of a stretch. But then again, it doesnt matter. Keller goes down and Howard (should) plays, Howard goes down, we're screwed anyway, regardless of who's there. Hahnemann has very few caps and has played with, like, none of the defenders that we're bringing along (like once with Hedjuk who shouldn't see the pitch, one half with Gibbs).

16. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not even gonna read this article because he shouldn't even be a first time player on RB let alone on the WC roster. It's ridiculous

17. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah because Tony has been so bad for us this year. :rolleyes: Do you people even watch the games? Meola's the least of RBNY's problems, maybe the D shouldn't let other team walk in alone in the box. But you're right, he shouldn't be a first time player on RB, we'd be much better of with the great Zach Wells.

As for Meola on the NT I wouldn't mind it, it's not like he would get any playing time anyway.

18. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Howard hasn't played in how long? Honestly..the guy's losing a lot of skill I think, by just riding the bench.

19. Rose8675

Rose8675 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    New Jersey
    Yeah, yanks abroad topic, but Howard is ruining his still young career by not demanding a transfer. He can easily start for at least 8 teams in the EPL, nevermind return to the MLS where the quality of play has definitly improved since he left (if only in the league and not on RBNY ;) )

But in terms of Meola as a third keeper, I think everyone is missing the point here. The third keeper's slot isn't about, 'OK, if our first and second keeper gets injured during the tournament, who do I want in net'. Its a question of leadership. Arena's gonna assume he won't have to use a third keeper. So if faced between a young talented keeper and an old vetern who can provide leadership on the bench for the third slot, he'll choose Tony. And if anyone doubts me just remember we all had this same arguement in 2002 on Tony vs. Howard. And Tony was chosen to fill the role I have just mentioned above.

20. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the last two posts.
    Point of information: on the BBC football "rumours" page today is one that Howard is to go to Everton on a season-long loan. Just what the doctor ordered IMHO.
    As things stand right now I'd have Marcus over Tim as the #2. Howard hardly gets a game and Hahnemann has been outstanding in a promotion season.

21. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Definately. His leadership is an asset that not many players on the bubble have. And even if he had to play, I'd have no worries. The guy's a fighter.

If Meola wasn't our goalie, I'd really want to see Howard back here on a loan.

22. ajax81435

ajax81435 New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Telluride
    Enough with the experience/leadership talk. We do not need to take up a spot on the bench for a cheerleader. Kasey and Reyna bring plenty of leadership to the team.

23. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah..in the WC stage..only two leaders are enough :rolleyes:

24. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really think that after WC that Howard should leave Man U. I bet any other EPL team would LOVE to have him.