News: ESPN: Interim Coach to be Named this Weekend

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Oct 20, 2017.

1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody touches anything until the insurance claim processes.

neems and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Looks like Cameron shares my enthusiasm for the continued sage decision making by Sunil. The main thing we need to do is stay the course. Don’t even send a smidgen of a signal that anything should change. Remember - we missed the World Cup by two inches. Don’t do anything crazy over two inches. How can anyone doubt that we are on the right path?

juveeer, russ, Statman and 1 other person repped this.
  3. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    I disagree here. Sarachan is not a holding pattern. He was selected to continue down the path we are on. We missed the World Cup by two inches. We can’t afford to blow this up. Since Bruce unfortunately resigned, the next best way to continue down this path is to turn it over to his staff to keep us moving in the right direction.

Whatever we do, let’s be sure not to change anything because it is working so well that we only barely finished behind Panama and Honduras. Stay the course with Sunil and Sarachan!

juveeer, russ, Statman and 2 others repped this.
  4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a good look to have the guys who were a part of failure sill being in there. Reasonable or not.
    This says a lot.

I think we will see a very young roster.

Statman, Winoman and sXeWesley repped this.
  5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the dumb things we get worked up about on BS, which only exists for that purpose in the first place, this is one of the better, more useful things to get worked up over, because it is completely inconceivable that the coaches who masterminded the greatest embarrassment in US soccer history, not only still have jobs, but are going to coach the very next match. We hit rock bottom and then keep digging.

Not giving a shit about stupid decisions like this is how we end up being a laughingstock.

Deep Wilcox, juveeer, russ and 2 others repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The main thing was probably to name a coach who will take orders and call up guys like Kellyn Acosta ("youth movement") whom FCD don't want anymore while keeping other guys under wraps because they are good players
    on at low salaries with their owners.

At least EPB got out. I still don't understand why he wasn't called to Gold Cup and didn't play more minutes with KC. US Soccer Kansas City didnt rate him, while Man City had a different view.

At some stage, a guy like Pulisic is going to tell US Soccer they are making him - and the USA - look bad and turn down call ups. Bradley should already have been leading the way.

There is a solution to this mess but I've already been warned I will get a lifetime ban for raising it. So....don't carry on, lol.

In Mexico these things get sorted out by media giants who have a huge stake in the sport's progress, as I understand it. In the USA, the media giants see soccer cannibalizing their profits in baseball and football, I suppose. Otherwise, why the silence from media I wonder.

7. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Listened this morning to the 10/19 MenInBlazers podcast with Atlanta United president Darren Eales.

Fantastic interview overall, and one thing relevant to our discussion here was the timing of the manager hire for Atlanta United. Eales commented that he had the luxury of time in his hiring of Atlanta's first manager. He put the word out, kept a lot of potential hires warm, and waited because he didn't need to pull the trigger until a few months before the first preseason camp. That strategy paid off when Martino became available.

We have exactly that luxury right now. There's a natural desire to reduce uncertainty and name a new manager. But a smarter strategy is to live with the opening for a while and use time to your advantage. Using time to your advantage is also a great way not to overpay on the contract side.

So whether it's Sarachan or a rotation of interim managers (could you have special guest star managers like Wagner step in?), I don't really care. I just don't want to see any long term contracts signed until after the February election at the earliest -- or ideally after the World Cup.

WrmBrnr, dwsmith1972, Zinkoff and 8 others repped this.
  8. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe?

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lots of Jan camp talk in here that I see zero need for in 2018. Unless its to give Dempsey/ Bradley// Wondo their final game before retiring from USA duty.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well I would agree insofar as Sunil is replaced at which point the next President would set in motion the process of hiring a permanent manager. If Sunil is there next March we are screwed totally. The next manager is going to do what Sunil tells him to do and Sunil takes orders from the GOB network, as it is called here.

We are really bad at separating the public sphere from private interest in the US. It shouldn't be as difficult as we make it. Step one would be electing a US Soccer President who actually wants to try.

TheFalseNine and 2in10 repped this.
  11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Unsatisfactory as opposed to what we just watched? This is a game in Europe. Play people based in Europe. It's not Europhile it's the fact this is the least important game in decades. What's the point of a coach, camp or travel costs?

As far as sexy ass, we have a grand total of one player on the roster that fits the description. Unless you want to keep your mancrush on Bradley and Altidore alive.

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I would say, who gives a crap what lame duck interim presides over the rest of this lame duck cycle? These games are less than worthless overall. The Portugal game is going to be like watching a wake and if they have a Cupcake game at HDC like usual they'll get about 2k people in the door.

This coming January camp is nearly completely meaningless, as it was usually used for MLS players and Scandinavian based players. We don't have any of note on the latter, and the former is well worn territory in terms of who is getting looks and who isn't.

Also, USSF isn't going to pay 3 managers, nor should they. Sarachan is around, he's cheap, and he is competent enough to call in 25 warm bodies to go play Portugal and whoever in January. There is zero compelling reason to get emotional about anything that comes out of the next 9 or so months from Soccer House in terms of the MNT, unless Sunil gets bounced in February or something.

Care what happens next August, when we'll hire a permanent manager and start calling in the nucleus of what will be our team when qualifying starts again.

13. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My fantasy is that they already had that game at T&T. Feel free to honor them in the MLS though.

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when Bob Bradley or Hack or Tab walk out in their blue tracksuit,what do we do then?

15. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should have flushed all those Arena's freeloading assistants down the toilet and hire any available MLS coach to coach the team till next August.

soccerusa517 and adam tash repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There is a chance that this is 10 months job what rules out MLS coaches or anyone in hope of getting MLS job. This one is for really desperate folks.

17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If that happens, and someone from the current "pool" of established candidates gets hired, go nuts. I'll go nuts, probably. But having any sort of reaction to Sarachan getting to play pretend NT manager for a game or two is meatballery.

Albeit understandable meatballery given our current situation.

dwsmith1972, COMtnGuy, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Big Sawker vet,you know meatballery is what we do best.

dwsmith1972, juveeer, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Sarachan is a shit sandwich.

Which is preferable to a shit and vomit sandwich.

2in10 repped this.
  20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Geoff Cameron can cram it. He can post all the cutesy emoji's and vaguetweet all he wants; he gets to wear his performance in the loss to CRC at home for eternity. He and Ream let an MLS jobber run rampant on them and score twice.

Pulisic, and maaaaaaybe Yedlin and Dempsey are the only 3 guys that can remotely hold their heads high right now. I don't want to hear from Geoff Cameron about anything.

WrmBrnr, dwsmith1972 and Winoman repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a segment of the fanbase that will go nuts if Dempsey doesn't pass Landon. ;)

russ and COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Who would you want to see as an interim coach that is currently available? And for how long would the interim contract last?

WrmBrnr and Winoman repped this.
  23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I can't imagine how hollow it would feel for Dempsey to set the record in this January camp.

COMtnGuy, 2in10, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'll add Wood and Arriola to the list. I'll never question either one's effort.

WrmBrnr, DHC1, COMtnGuy and 1 other person repped this.
  25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Koeman. Let him run a January camp then leave after the election. He's recently available.