News: ESPN: Interim Coach to be Named this Weekend

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is no time for calm and reasoning.

2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Looks like it wasn't fall. Looks like he got the gig in December 2006 on an interim and then afterwards got the full time gig. Forgot about that, bshredder was on a podcast and mentioned how nutty it was that the team basically went turtle for seven months after World Cup '06 before having a game with Bob in early '07. I don't know how I forgot about that but I did. I can wait in terms of landing the long term head coach till next summer if the fed is thinking big and going after a superb coach, if it's just a name a la Klinsy, or going back to the good ol boys trough, then we should just hire somebody asap. Depends, but I don't mind waiting. Reminds me of watching those crime shows, and seeing police departments go nuts over media pressure and from the attorney's office due to that classic s rolls downhill issue, and it leads to them in fiction, and in reality, sometimes making idiotic arrests, and stupid decisions (think OJ) in a rush to put out the metaphorical fire of the media/public/attorney's office pressure on them. In regards to that and hiring coaches, I've always felt, who cares about the pressure, just make smart, correct, efficient decisions and choices that are based on best practices, and not pressure.

So yeah, whatever gets us the best coach and Tech director is what I want, that and firing Sunil.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Sad, but true.

4. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #229 Marius Tresor, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Right, sorry, but he was Arena's assistant for the U-23 team at the Atlanta Olympics. He also was a Chicago Fire head coach, succeeded by (you guessed it) Dave Sarachan, before becoming interim US coach. So there are some parallels.

juveeer repped this.
  5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well have kept Arena.

Such a ********ing joke.

sXeWesley repped this.
  6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re right. Much better to make a rushed pick from a reduced pool of available candidates

WrmBrnr, Bajoro, superdave and 6 others repped this.
  7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they thought his name was Saccharine, and that they had a sweet deal on their hands.........:coffee:

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    If they do things right, there won't be enough guys left over from the last team to matter.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Who the coach is for the next few months isn't a concern - yet. I'm more worried about what young guys get called in. I'm worried they'll be too scared to go to teenagers and we'll get Hyndman and Polster and Will Trapp.

10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    After thinking about it more, I think this is a "good" hire in the sense that nobody is going to mistake Sarachan for a candidate for the position full-time. Even if they beat Portugal, and he runs the greatest January camp ever, they won't have a problem asking him to step aside for a more qualified hire when the time comes.

11. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main issue is the USSF didn't want to pony up money for nothing. These guys are under contract until the end of the year. Theyd be paying them regardless. So they couldn't get Tab and just decided to let the most experienced guy on the bench guide them. But I get the frustration, these were the guys who contributed to a disgrace and seem to be getting rewarded for it. But it's more just a quick way to make money off a friendly to give game tape to the next coach.

As long as it doesn't translate to a full time gig for any of them, it won't really matter.

Glad Tab didn't take the job, and hopefully Sunil gives up his man crush this time. Tab barely belongs as a youth coach.

Best idea would be for someone to usurp Sunil and start fresh.

neems and TOAzer repped this.
  12. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #237 Susaeta, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    One POV: They could not pass on such a great opportunity to reinforce that US Soccer is a Good Old Boys network, where who you know matters a lot more than what you know.

Another POV: Nobody is empowering Gulati to make a decision on the head coach, until at least after he is re-elected. Even then, there are serious efforts afoot to create a committee made up at least partially of people who actually know something about soccer to screen all coaching candidates. Until then, Gulati had to pick someone who is available.

juveeer and sXeWesley repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Time to blood the U16s so they're ready for USA '26.

14. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll take option two please.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    What worries me is he will somehow get the job permanently.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if any us players wanna play in epl...then the 75% requirement isnt on pause.

players can still use these games to further their club careers....which is not an insignificant thing. its pretty much the main reason why almost all socfer playes play international soccer. yes, friendlies cant compare to a WC in terms of helping a career...but they are way better than nothing.

i would callup and play only those players who stand to beennfit from usmnt inclusion i.e. club career - basically mlsers looking to leave and euros not getting time.

i'd also include some of the mlsers who havent gotten a chance under arenajk - opara, feilhaber et etc.....

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilahber is too old. It's time to let go.

18. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Good old boys gonna good old boy

19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    No mystery there!:mad:

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your take, hot it is. [/Yoda]

Winoman repped this.
  21. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    This is disappointing.

But.....entirely predictable.

Only bright spot is that it means Sunil won't be picking the permanent coach - unless he gets reelected. In that sense it does make sense to hold off hiring a permanent coach until after that election.

However, if we are bringing in guys already on contract I would have preferred anyone (other than Wrong-Again) that is in the current youth set up at least for the january camp. We need someone familiar with our youth players to start to move them through and hiring anyone on BA's staff for this role is exactly the wrong look.

Personally I think Tab is making a mistake by not taking this job because there is no way he should be a permanent hire at this point in his career. It would have been a real opportunity for him to step out on the adult stage and a good audition to move his career forward with a club gig.

TOAzer and WrmBrnr repped this.
  22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could've brought someone in short-term to give an independent look at some players and an outsider evaluation. Bringing in Sarachan accomplishes nothing. Unless the plan is to continue only hiring people in the old guy club.

Do you have thoughts?

superdave repped this.
  23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repped this post because it advances the discussion.

I see your point about evaluation. If the contracts and what not can be done in a proper way, sure. Bring in an old Euro to look at McKennie, Danny Williams, maybe Keaton Parks, etc, along with any young MLSers whose teams are out of it. Maybe even combine that with a consultant’s report on what we should be looking for in our next coach, like happened after ‘98.

But I think as a pure stand alone event, bringing in a Capello to watch 3 days of practice and run a match is pointless, and possibly worse than Sarachan.

Winoman, WrmBrnr, deuteronomy and 2 others repped this.
  24. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I don't think Capello would take a job like that or even that he should be hired as permanent coach but there is no way even a minute of Don Fabio wouldn't be better than Sacharine.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    #250 Editor In Chimp, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    It's a nice enough idea in the abstract, but I can't see anyone worth doing the evaluation as being willing to come in and do it on such a short term basis unless you pay them an amount the Fed would likely be unwilling to pay.

At best, you get 3 camps with the NT. One short one next month in Europe, and the longer Camp Cupcake in January, assuming we have one along with whatever sad sack friendly we schedule for March 2018. Not a lot of time to draw a meaningful conclusion.

And even if you can find someone to do it, that's worth half a crap and has a brain about player evaluation, what good does that really do the next coach we actually hire? Is he going to take those evaluations as being worth anything, or is he going to be like 99% of coaches and want to see players for himself before drawing conclusions?

If you want to self-scout, you'd have a better argument for hiring a full time Technical Director who can go watch the pool play at club level live and on-tape, evaluate the 3 lame-duck friendlies and then base his hiring decision on whatever conclusions they draw and give their hire a mandate to play in such-and-such a way or to not call in so-and-so because their legs are shot or they suck.

But then you have Sunil Gulati hiring that guy, and Gulati has no business hiring anyone unless and until he retains his position, which we shouldn't want. So you're really back to square one. We're in a holding pattern until at least the election in February and probably beyond that.