News: ESPN: Interim Coach to be Named this Weekend

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    russ, Eighteen Alpha, juveeer and 2 others repped this.
  2. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 manfromgallifrey91, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Well I'd be okay with Tab not taking the role because it's Tab. But geez are those two really the best options we can dig out? Bring Dom Kinnear on for an extra check Im sure LA would have no problems and I doubt he declines. But not Dave and John. That's terrible, but sounds about right.

Dave is far too much like Bruce to really do anything new, so if he gets it I see a similar call up, just with players outside of playoffs.

And Hackworth is just as bad as Tab, just with more experience. But is bad experience good? If its announced this weekend. Can't see it being him as he is away with the u17.

Which leaves us with Bruce lite if this article is to be believed. Oh well as long as they have no chance at the 5 year journey I can deal.

3. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Forget the interim coach or long term coach, the simple fact that Sunil is still president makes me sick! I don't know why I have this feeling that Sunil will continue to stay as president after the "elections", we will get someone not qualified to take over the USMNT and picked way before the WC is done. Ramos is not a bad option as the main coach but I think we can do better if they take their time to analyze a complete plan.

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a really dumb move on Tab’s part. He should know he’s not a contender for the job full time. That said, by filling in as interim, he would then have it on his resume, and will probably work himself into being the u23 coach and assistant coach. Hell, he could even talk himself into a technical director position if he played his cards right.

5. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    I was thinking we were at 'rock bottom' but it looks like Sunil is bound and determined to drag this program to deeper depths...

PalmettoSpur, russ, juveeer and 3 others repped this.
  6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And historically, being the interim during the dead cat bounce is one of the very best ways of getting a job one is not qualified for. (And Tab's not qualified, he's never coached anywhere that wins and losses actually mattered very much.)

deuteronomy, WrmBrnr, juveeer and 4 others repped this.
  7. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I know it's just an interim coach and a bigger name will almost certainly be hired later, but it's almost feels like an intentional troll job at this point.

"You fans are all talking about Martino, Vermes, Vieira, or maybe even a big-name Euro coach like Tuchel or Ancelotti. Well, you're gonna get Dave Sarachan, and you're gonna like it."

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Things are never so bad that they can't get worse ...

russ, juveeer, majspike and 4 others repped this.
  9. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After seeing the interview with McBride, fast track his license! That is the level of passion and the levelheadedness that is required. Now I have no idea what his aspirations are, but knowing from the start of the cycle that there was not the urgency shows me he would not be letting that happen. Also the point about belief in other teams that they have a chance to win. We should be approaching every game with every minnow in concacaf the way euros salivate when playing the minnows of their region. Then bring that to the bigger fish and thoughts of winning will be tempered with losing embaressingly. If we are to regain our status as the part of the top two teams in this region, a mindset of being a winner tempered with the hunger to show it every time you take the field has to be part of the program's psychology. When you put on that shirt, remember where that crest rests.

2in10, mette72 and Chesco United repped this.
  10. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I wonder if at some point, promises had been made to Ramos that he'd be first in line for the senior coaching position. Arena was quite set that he'd only coach into 2018 - maybe they were feeling out potential successors, and Ramos was approached as their top candidate. So now, he feels like if they do hire him, they should skip the interim status and appoint him directly as the permanent guy, as had been previously mentioned.

I just find it odd otherwise why he would turn down the interim job. As others have said, the interim manager is often well-positioned to become permanent manager. It would be a boost to Ramos' resume, certainly, to even have that interim job. The man has never coached a senior national team before; he's never coached a senior team, period. But it seems that he thinks he has the leverage to request a permanent position, anyway.

Maybe he doesn't want the job and this is all part of his plan to get fired.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he ain't humble. what's the opposite of humble?

12. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think being an interim would be at odds with being the full time manager. If you took the job as an interim with the idea that you wanted to be the full time manager what would happen if you lost games and did not get results? Being the full time manager and in our position we need to be blooding new players without fear that results (at least for now) are important.

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    As I think some of us have mentioned, if they go w/something this bad, then fans need to not intend camp cupcake festivities or buy anything.

I would add one caveat, if this is purely a, "we need someone to house sit for the next 8 pointless months of coach searching," so we can hire the best option after the cup, I can live with this. However if this is an offer with a clear: "temp to hire" offer on the table where Dave or Hackworth have a reasonable chance of landing the gig with positive results in utterly meaningless games, then I absolutely think fans should boycott the USSF.

It's totally unacceptable to have a non-entity head coach AND the same idiot in charge of the fed when the US Nats produced the worst six year stretch of results in the modern era by a country mile(2 missed Olympic Games, 2 missed youth world cups, missed world cup, not to mention the double opportunity to qualify for the Confed Cup which might have been achieved if Sunil hadn't had to fire his idol in Klinsy, to make it possibly happen).

14. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link anyone? Thanks in advance.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    You don't need a license to be national team manager.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So I'm as qualified as the next guy?

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Depends in the next guy, You might be more qualified.

PalmettoSpur, meyers, MattR and 5 others repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I might be. I'm pretty sure I could have qualified the team for Russia, just by making safe, consensus personnel choices, building some team unity, then bowling the ball straight down the middle.

WrmBrnr, sXeWesley and largegarlic repped this.
  19. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Bruce?

sXeWesley, TimB4Last and Ironbound repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If only ... :(

sXeWesley repped this.
  21. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    The less credibility, the better #TrustTheProcess

22. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    THIS...THIS...THIS...

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, Tab doesn't want a situation where he has left his previous duties, which had him on a career track he had planned, for and get lambasted as interim coach from all sides - fans, MLS, etc. - and throw him off his career track without having had a sporting chance.

As interim coach he'd have to go along with the suits and we learn nothing and he would just end up looking bad like Klinksi and Arena.

I'd have no objection to giving him a 3 yr contract with a good buyout clause for the third year.

2 years are up Nov 2019, after Gold Cup but before Copa America 2020 + Olympics.

3 years are up Nov 2020 after Olympics and Copa America but before Hex and Gold cup 2021/Confed Cup.(if any).

24. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    are you kidding? if that is the mindset, we don't need you. we need someone that loves this country and this program. it's not about money or prestige. it's about a country's pride. are we better than Panama? are we better than Mexico? let's put our best out there and kick some ass. there is no way we can not do that. Central America has given us untold amounts of peeps as has the rest of the world. with our influence, we should be killing it. if you're worried about tomorrow, put together a winner that will secure your future. don't ask for tomorrow today. that is why we did not qualify. oh, qualification, no problem. oops!!! kill it from day one. want to kill it from day one. of the umpteen millions of peeps in this country, find some that want to kill it from day one. they are out there. I'm still hopeful.

25. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the plan is to only have an interim for the Nov and Jan friendlies, a guy like Cherundolo may not be a bad pick. The Nov. friendlies would be in Europe and wouldn't take up too much of his time and Hannover and the rest of the Bundesliga would be in winter break during January.

I highly doubt Hannover would agree to it, but it's worth a try.

Bajoro, COMtnGuy, KicksNgiggles and 2 others repped this.