ESPN Insults MLS/USSF on SportsCenter ... I'm furious

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by futbol571, Aug 12, 2003.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I haven't watched SportsCenter in years because they don't cater to soccer.

I was flipping the channels (Sunday Night August 10th) and see a soccer clip on ESPN so I stop. They are going to commercial and say we will give Chris Berman's Plays of the Week when we come back, including baseball, football, soccer, etc.

The other announcer goes "SOCCER?!?" and the other replies "soccer?!?, I don't know"

... really really pathetic ESPN!!! This is supposed to be MLS and US Soccer's partner?!? Oh please. They can't even give a clip of David Beckham scoring (nice we can't include Ruiz' golazo) without making fun of the sport and ridiculing it to make it seem inferior to the American public.

I am so amazingly mad. Why can't MLS and the USSF do something about this kind of behavior? They can't honestly expect people to take them seriously if the broadcasters mock the game any chance they get.

2. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Didn't you post this somewhere else too?

3. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
  4. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do what my father always told me:

"Build a bridge, and get over it".

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    First of all: Don't Care.

Second of all: They aren't our partners. WE pay THEM to show MLS matches every week. There's nothing in the contract saying that their dime a dozen bonehead announcers have to be nice to the sport.

Just like the Simpsons said:

"Just don't look"

6. Metallifreak

Metallifreak New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Santa Ana, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN = Morons

i hate ESPN they almost never show any soccer. ESPN thinks that the bass fishing,golf, bowling, Poker fanbase deserve to have more coverage cuz they think that more people will watch it. who the hell watches poker anyways!!!!!!!!! this one of the reasons why i chosed not watch ESPN anymore

7. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Since you already posted this in another forum...I will repost my thoughts here:

[​IMG]

re.lax

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: ESPN = Morons

I do. Watching the World Series of Poker has seriously improved my game. Though it doesn't help much anymore since all the guys I play with watch now, too, and have figured out the same stuff I've figured out.

But seriously, futbol571. It shouldn't bother you so much that you need to seek therapeutic outlet in (at least) two forums. Believe it or not, things are WAYYYYYY better than things used to be. I mean, at least they mention soccer. How often do they mention rugby, lacrosse, water polo, cricket, Formula One racing etc.? Not to mention wrestling, swimming, track and field during non-Olympic years, and so forth. Quit wallowing in self-pity. Grow a pair, and you'll help to grow the sport.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    tell someone who cares...

10. ShadowNC

ShadowNC Member

Apr 25, 2001
    Rocky Mount, NC

I watch the World Series of Poker everytime it's on. I'm addicted to it. So are 2 friends of mine and also their wives. My wife. My father-in-law. It's funny how everytime it comes up in conversation someone will chime in "oh yeah I love watching poker too". It's entertaining because any schmuck of the street can enter if they have the $$$, and the variety of personalities is hilarious.

The WSOP is fun to watch, and judging on personal experiences I think a LOT of people around the country are watching it.

11. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Re: Re: ESPN = Morons

Everyone I know watches it........Travel Channel show the world poker tour too...can't get enough of it.....fantastic..

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah its funny at how there'll probably be more WSOP coverage than MLS this year

13. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I havent watched sportscenter in years because of their treatment of soccer. I even emailed them to let them know that. If you don't like their treatment you should do the same.

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    :rolleyes:

sounds like a great idea, and while i am at it i am sending a letter to the PM of france and telling him that b/c he is a prick i am no longer going to visit his country, drink french wine or eat french fries and french toast.

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Break the Unabomber out of jail. He may be able to help out on this one. ;)

16. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    American soccer fans are as passionate, united, loyal, dedicated to the sport as NASCAR fans.

lol I crack myself.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    actually Sportscenter often has some kind of soccer highlites. For a sport thats get as much ratings as it does, I think Sportscenter does a fair job of coverage.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you want me to post links to the ratings of those events or do you want to live in a fantasy world?

19. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Re: Re: ESPN = Morons

I'm thinking he prefers the fantasy world....

20. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    My gosh, it never ceases to amaze me how soccer fans here on BigSoccer want to bend over for ESPN.

"See how cool we are? We will blast anyone who thinks soccer gets screwed!"

Please. A start-up league in the world's most popular sport, played by more kids than any other HERE in the U.S. A league that has averaged 15,000 in attendance. And it is virtually ignored by ESPN? And you lapdogs are gonna sit here and take it?

I side with those who choose to get upset over the lack of coverage.

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

There are sides? Ooh! Can I pick one? Please? Pretty please!

Get off it. I don't know about you, but in the past two years I've seen more soccer than I've seen in the ten years before. Yeah, I'm really getting screwed with my pants on now.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Absolutely right. In fact, I've seen more these past two years than in the previoius 25 years!

When the league can actually earn ESPN some ratings, then you'll get a higher degree of respect, people. Until then, quit acting like over-entitled brats who think you deserve to be treated like royalty because you're smarter than everyone else who just happen to like other sports.

23. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    So the first time you happen upon Sportscenter in years, they are not only showing a soccer clip, but using it as a tease to get people to stay tuned?

That's quite a coincidence...

24. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Time-buys have nothing to do with legitimate coverage from ESPN. But, I wouldn't expect you to know anything about that.

25. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

In the past two years, I have seen:
    MLS
    World Cup
    PDL
    A-League
    Confederations Cup
    Gold Cup
    Serie A
    EPL
    English Division 1
    La Liga Primera
    Dutch Eredivisie
    J-League
    and a whole slew of friendlies
    All of them on at least half a dozen networks including ESPN/ESPN2.

And yes, some of the WUSA.

In light of all this, "legitimate" coverage from ESPN means very little to me, as it should you.

Could it get better? Sure. Will it? Absolutely. Is whining about it going to help? Not particularly.