ESPN: Henry's goals beyond goals

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tk421, Apr 7, 2011.

1. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this article Henry talks a lot about the MLS as a whole, as well as his goals in the MLS. Worth the read.
    http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6220357/thierry-henry-wants-know-no-tourist

2. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow there are so many negative comments on that article.

I thought that write up was really interesting. It proved what I thought was going on. They have Henry being the playmaker instead of the main striker. People talk about him playing poorly against Houston but to me he was very important in most of NY's biggest plays.

People are just thinking about the straightforward stuff when he is doing much more. I just think he has to find out the balance on his new role of assisting while also being a bit more selfish when the chance opens itself.

3. likewhoa123

likewhoa123 Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Respect to Henry. He might not be exploding on the field, but it seems clear that he is genuinely trying to win championships and grow this league. He also seems to have a respect for the league, and an understanding of its history and its unique qualities. I get a very good vibe from him. A lot different than Beckham imho.

4. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    RBNY fans are losing patience with Henry. He is missing easy shots left and right and he's often injured. It's good that RBNY has so many other good players to carry the team, but Henry has been a bit of a dead weight so far. It's still early in the season, though, so maybe things will change.

5. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having watched 2/3 NYRB games this season, I laugh at the idea of Henry being "dead weight."

6. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dead weight is absurd. He's setting up quite a lot of stuff. He just isn't finishing right now.

7. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry=Altidore? :eek:

8. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to finish chances. End of story.

9. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was one hell of a player in his day, he did stuff that would leave you with your mouth open saying how the hell did he do that. I can't believe he is not ripping that league to bits even at his age now and the fact he is past his best.

Still, i think he will come good, he was and is too good a player not to.

10. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Fairly bizarre by Schaerlaeckens to say that Valderrama and Stoichkov treated MLS as a retirement whimper. Pibe may have never ran a step in MLS, but he was still great and Stoichkov was legendarily feisty. I guess Leander wasn't watching MLS back then.

Mattheus on the other hand, yeesh.

11. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Wah wah. The best team last year was Dallas, lol.

I totally agree with him, though.

I actually think the best team wins the CCL.

12. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The magic words "finish chances"..

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You of all people shouldn't be laughing at that, given the playoff results.

14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    As an avid fan of MLS, I can honestly say I'm surprised too. He is the one player I expected to come here and TRULY dominate playing up top. Angel did it after being past his prime and found a second wind to be a very solid player here. Henry is doing it all except scoring. The problem is, he's been missing some very easy chances, and that is what concerns me. Also, I thought he was poor and a non-factor against Houston, and in his game last year IN Houston after he first got here, he missed 2 breakaways and a sitter. It was shocking.

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    What a coincidence - you've seen the same number that Henry has played in. Apart from a 5 minute flurry of chances at the end of the last game - he hasn't done much in either of the 2 games he's played in so far.

16. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree... Henry is a very good player.. however he is being paid over 5 million to score goals. He even missed a penalty kick for gods sake!

17. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now, our over-the-hill-aging-star stopped it. It was on frame.

18. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    a penalty not scored is a kickers fault. :D

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GBS was seriously unimpressive in his first campaign, too. It takes these guys a half season, at least, to get into it. Let's face it, the American player is excellent physically, OK technically, but quite poor tactically. When you're a player of this caliber, and your teammates are far too often making the wrong decision, it's hard to fit in and make a difference. You have to learn exactly how they screw up the decision so you can anticipate it.

1 person likes this.
  20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Lol, this is awesome.

21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  22. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas was the obvious better team in the regular season. It took a fluke own-goal off the butt of a defender for Colorado to win the MLS Cup. Sure, they're technically champs, but it's not quite a mandate for grandiose bragging ad infinitum.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I think you missed my point. I wasn't bragging about the MLS Cup result, I was pointing out to the over the top Salt Lake fan that she shouldn't be laughing at the idea that Dallas was the best team in the league, given the playoff results, notably the fact that Dallas eliminated Salt Lake from the playoffs.

(and yeah, being champs is a mandate for bragging, at least until MLS Cup 2011 ;))

24. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh. Sorry, it's Friday. I'm (more than usual) slow today.

1 person likes this.
  25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Hopefully that's the case - but GBS and Nowak seem like different sorts of aging players - they were willing to bust a gut out there trying to figure things out - running all over the place and working hard. I can't remember seeing Henry break much of a sweat - and he's also trying to learn a new position since he no longer seems to have it as striker and wants to become a playmaker. I suspect DeRo is going to take considerable pressure off him and - as happened at the end of their first half together - Henry started to make some things happen so I hope it continues.

But I'm also open to the possibility that he's one of those players that hits a certain age and falls off a cliff. He hasn't had a good game for club or country in a long while.