ESPN Fan Feast: World Cup Soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by JcUSA, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN's Fan Feast latest installment is World Cup Soccer. I didnt appreciate Kenny Mayne's quote: Maybe one day America will send fans that dont just show up to do the wave.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/index?cc=5901

Look in the videos section. I am guessing it will run on ESPN SC today

2. Tonkdaddy14

Tonkdaddy14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats pretty funny, I wish I could have acted the part of the ignorant fans :/

3. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw it.

Good on ya Kenny!

4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Awesome.....................although ESPN is being nice to American SPorts with that 2 Billion.................soccer is around 3.5-5.5 Billion fans with the emergence of China,India,USA, and Austrailia to the Worlds Game.

5. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenny used the same arguement that I use against my jock friends...Excluding field goals, soccer games have just as much scoring as football games especially since a soccer game is typically twice as short as football games. :rolleyes:

6. withoutthee88

withoutthee88 Red Card

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago/USA
    Common man, if you really think over 80% of the world's population cares about soccer, you are demented.

7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Huh? Dude this is Soccer.............show me what country in the year 2009 Dosent care about soccer in some way.

and btw i put 3.5-5.5 Billion so looking at around a range of 53%-83% no exact number can be calculated

8. withoutthee88

withoutthee88 Red Card

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago/USA
    There's a difference between knowing something about soccer and actually caring about it.

Shit I know something about 20-25 sports, I only truly care about 3 sports. If you think 80% of the world truly cares about who wins the next World Cup, you are wrong.

9. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    True. None cares about who wins it, but 80% of the world that can still qualify to S.A.2010 care about their team being there, and they care about the game. Heck! I am already planning on BR2014, and for sure I don't care who wins it there either.

10. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, yeah, no...There are 6.7 billion people on the planet, you honestly are trying to tell me that 50-80% are soccer fans?

Edit: I should have known this was covered, but still, no chance.

11. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the vid on SC.

It was really weird to see kenny mayne (who i love) be like serious and talk about soccer.

he was defending it and making cases for it. It's for the money of course, but it's nice to see ESPN pretty much all aboard the soccer bandwagon.

12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Have you ever been outside of the US before????? The fact that you would not even agree to 50%, just shows that some us dont have a clue.

the official estimate a few years ago for soccer was 3.3-3.5 Billion......then you add in the explosive popularity rise for the game recently in India and Australia........................i mean Vietnam has never made into a World Cup and yet they are estatic about the sport and the whole country watches the World Cup every 4 years. MAybe that would give you an idea to how HUGE it is.

13. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think 50-80% of Americans are American Football fans? Some people, people all over the world, just don't care about sports. The viewership for the world cup final was a little below a billion, and what soccer fan doesn't watch the world cup final??

14. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    - You can't just add up the total populations of all the soccer loving countries. Most people just aren't sports fans.
    - I wasn't aware of this soccer popularity boom in India that suddenly accounts for 1.5 billions extra soccer fans.
    - A country the size of Australia (20 million) will not boost the fan base to 3.5 billion from 2 billion either.

15. Counterstrike

Counterstrike New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA reported that roughly 1/9 the population watched the FIFA 2006 final between France and Italy - now if take the people who had work/other obligations + people who were piggybacking tvs (watching with neighbors, in crowds, in stadiums) + people who didn't have access to a tv but who would want to watch it if they could + people who were ****ed or whatever that their team didn't make it so they didn't watch it + people who like soccer in general just don't care about France/Italy..

Well then I think a conservative estimate of true soccer fans in the world would be roughly 1/7 the population.

EDIT: with the assumption that the final in the world cup is the most important competition in the soccer world and that people with at least a marginal interest in soccer would want to watch it

16. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    A) thats just neilson ratings.

B) People watch the World Cup Final in Massive numbers together whether it be in Bars,Restuarants, or outside on large TV's. Im just gonna show the US.....to make my point.

Boston:
    [​IMG]

NYC:
    [​IMG]

San Francisco:
    [​IMG]

B) Becuase the whole world is watching./or wants to watch..it means a portion of the world would have to be up at 3-5 AM in the morning to watch it.....which is why replay viewings are also very high the day after.

Do you really think that 50% of the world does not care or like soccer? it means alot of people have yet to leave the US. Forget that range of 50%-80% Like i said before..we will put it at 50%.......lets just say 50% and yet your still saying its not that high the official estimate was 3.3-3.5 Billion a few years ago for people who watch,pay or play soccer without the rise in India and Australia recently.

17. brandonplaysguitar

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50% of the population are women. Most women don't care about sports. The other half is men, and not all of them care about sports. Some people just don't care.

18. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmm, love me some stereotypes.

19. brandonplaysguitar

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's truth. :rolleyes:

20. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a personal perspective, I just got back from Germany, Czech Republic, and Rome and I was surprised by the amount of people I talked to who didn't care all that much. It's not so much that they're not soccer fans, it's that they're not sports fans in general. Just because soccer is the national sport doesn't mean that the whole country follows the game. Does 50% of the US care or like American football? I'm not sure that it does. I'll give you 50% of the world but anything more than that is way too generous IMO. And yes, as stated above, I've been out of the country.

21. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Dude, I love your enthusiasm, but you crack me up. You're always throwing around these made-up statistics. It's even funnier because they're so specific -- like, "3.3 billion" and what have you.

Good stuff.