ESPN+ debuts on April 12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Apr 2, 2018.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There is a HUGE disadvantage to using ESPN+ over the previous MLS app and that is that it is VERY tedious to find MLS replays in the ESPN) app because there is a lot of other content in the same view that you cannot avoid or filter.

Of course the same thing can be said to the other sports/leagues. The only league that has its own replay row is the NHL.

I also do not currently see any way to view older replays.

Along with that the FF/RW is clumsy at best and it is quite hard to be precise when FF through a gap like halftime.

Basically the app on both the Fire TV and the Shield TV is one step, but it is an important step, above junk.

I just hope two things happen:
    1. They quickly update the app to improve things.
    2. When ESPN+ gets added to the Roku they keep the current Roku apps functionality as the Roku is MUCH better to use for regular ESPN content now and, hopefully, it will not be ruined by the addition of ESPN+.

Just Offside and JasonMa repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inside the ESPN app Settings there's a ESPN+ Subscription Support option. Its got phone, email, chat, and web links. The phone number is 800-727-1800.

Looks like my issue is fixed this morning as I can now access ESPN+ through the website. Just happy it got fixed by Thursday afternoon so I can cast the Blackburn game from my laptop to my TV.

Just Offside and Sal Paradise repped this.
  3. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bummed it isn't available for Xbox. I was hoping it would be.

Namrog The Just repped this.
  4. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously doubt it was my PC since I've been streaming stuff from all over the planet--Amazon, Netflix, MLS Live, YouTube, etc. I think it's more a technical issue with ESPN, kinds like they're still working out some issues. Seems to be better now.

5. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Refresh my memory. On MLS Live, were local broadcasts that were blacked out live made available for viewing immediately once the match was over? I can't access Red Bull and NYCFC replays on ESPN+, getting a blackout message instead.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think I remember a couple days before the matches were available. I could be remembering incorrectly and thinking of national broadcasts though.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Any local blackout or national blackout was, usually, available two days after the match ended. There were times that the match did not become available for 3 or 4 days and once I remember a match was unavailable for over a week.

I think I read somewhere that the Fox matches will be handled differently for availability on ESPN+ but I cannot remember the details or find where I read it at this time.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI if anyone has had issues on Android, the devs are aware of a bug causing an authentication error over mobile data. It works just fine over WiFi, however. Very bizarre bug. Hopefully they get it fixed by the time MLS LIVE is no longer available elsewhere.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I have the older Apple TV, not the newer model. I see the old “Watch EPSN” app on it, but do not see the new ESPN app that includes ESPN+. Does that mean I need to purchase a new Apple TV 4K if I want to use it to watch ESPN+. Anyone know?

10. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I believe that is the case. I have an Apple TV 2 and from what I read it needs to be newer to get ESPN+.

TrickHog repped this.
  11. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Android has issues, but at least it's backwards compatible for crying out loud.

12. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    I have the 4th generation (non-4K) Apple TV and ESPN+ works for me.

TrickHog repped this.
  13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    As an aside... DirecTV Now is running a promotion where you get a free Apple TV if you purchase 3 months of service. I believe it applies to the $35/month package, so you could get a new Apple TV for $105 instead of the list price of $179.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think I have the 2nd or 3rd generation.... Bummer.

15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the tip.

16. DBR70

DBR70 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    If you have an iPhone or iPad you can AirPlay to your Apple TV. I have the older Apple TV in my bedroom and use AirPlay.

aztec21bas repped this.
  17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Was still able to watch all of the matches on MLS Live.

I’m guessing they may have done this in case there were issues with ESPN+?

Again, MLS Live is still listed for all matches next weekend.

18. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Live is operating until next week. The 24th I believe.

19. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Will it not keep operating for Canadian market? I am guessing they don't have access to ESPN+.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the games using the old ESPN app.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #121 FanOfFutbol, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Good news for some!

The ESPN app just updated on my Roku and ESPN+ is now available. The best news is that FF/RW and the right and left arrows work as expected and the picture quality seems very good.

The app even seems a little snappier but that may be more subjective than anything else.

There dose not seem to be a way to access matches before last weeks but that may be due to the transition and there may be archived matches available in the future.

For those that care the NHL Stanley Cup games are available on a next day basis in the ESPN+ app. That is good for me as I rarely have time to watch NHL games live at night. The same goes for MLS matches.

Edit: At this point the only MLS match replays I see are Earthquakes vs Dynamo and Timbers vs Minnesota. All the other MLS match replays from last week are nowhere to be found but it looks like every NLH playoff match is available. The NHL replays have a separate row while the MLS replays are lumped in with everything else. The MLS seems to get no love from this app at this point.

Edit 2: There is a separate row for upcoming MLS live matches (up to 04/29) so there may be hope for MLS replays getting one in the future.

Edit 3: I found the rest of the replays under the regular part of the ESPN app under the MLS section so I am quite a bit relieved. It works quite well and all is VERY good.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently I can't link my account to my Roku app. Everytime I go to that screen in settings the Roku acts like I pushed the OK button after displaying the code for a second. Even if I remember the code and type it in it doesn't update as authenticated. I think the ESPN+ programmers have introduced another but on certain Roku models, much like they did with the iOS products.

(It really steams me to deal with this crappy rollout as an unemployed QA engineer)

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Which Roku do you have? Some Rokus have problems with the latest apps. I have a Roku Ultra and a Roku 3 and ESPN works fin on both.

A couple of things to try:
    1. Remove the ESPN app.
    Reboot the Roku. This is needed as it clears the memory that Roku sets aside for app info.
    Re-install the app.

2. If you have an SD card installed, remove it. The SD card is only used for storing the apps when they are not running to allow for faster loading of lesser used apps. The card has no use other than that. It is not used for streaming, caching or anything else. I never install one as it has been reported by many on the Roku boards that they sometimes cause weird problems.

Also there have been reports of too many apps causing problems with apps that are built using the new Roku programming tools and the new ESPN app is built using those tools. If you have more than 25-30 apps installed you might want to try reducing that number.

I have a LOT of experience with Rokus so I will be happy to try to help you resolve this.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #124 JasonMa, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Premier+ so no SD card. I did do the uninstall and reinstall to get the new version of the app but without the reboot in-between. Doing a quick Google I see I'm not the only one with the issue.

I've got about 20 apps installed so I should be OK there.

EDIT: Just went and tried again. Something changed in the last 2 hours as now the code stays on the screen and I was able to link my account. And I can watch this weekend's EFL games too. Man, this is going to be dangerous come fall, especially is Blackburn gets back to the Championship.

25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #125 FanOfFutbol, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Without the reboot you did not clear out the memory so that "could" a problem.

The Premier+ is one of the better Rokus. I do not remember if the + has a wired Ethernet connection but if it does and you are using it wireless you might want to try wired. Rokus are notorious for having weird flaky problems when connected wirelessly.

You might want to ask about this over on the Roku forums:
    https://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28
    Be aware that Roku does not write the apps. ESPN wrote or commissioned the writing of the app BUT contacting ESPN, which is really the best course, is problematic at best and often if you get Roku's attention the have better routes to the apps developer.

All my Rokus are connected wired and that may be one reason my Roku work so well.

Edit: I just checked on my bedroom Roku 3, which I had not activated before, and it activated just fine. I think the Roku 3 is quite close to the Roku Premier. That Roku 3 is also connected wired.

Edit 2: One more thing: You might want to simply try to start an ESPN+ video rather than any other form of activating. It will take you to the activation screen that way as well as any other method and it might work better that way. Of course if that is what you have tried before then ignore what was just said.