ESPN+ debuts on April 12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Apr 2, 2018.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tannenwald tweeted that if you sign up in the first week you get a 30 day free trial

Sounders78 repped this.
  2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No on the first one. Assuming it's the same for next season, they're only showing the NHL game of the day that was already available for free. You'd still need the NHL.tv subscription to get everything else.

JayRockers! repped this.
  3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No more ESPNFC for me......Switched to ESPN+

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's still on ESPN News and ESPN2 during the week. At least according to the channel guide on my TV.

5. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have AT & T U-verse and it's not on the channel guide.

6. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed up. Used my existing ESPN username to get started. Had to download the ESPN app for my phone (not the WatchESPN app which I already had).

You can already watch the NYCFC v. RSL replay. However, since it was a national broadcast is gave me a "Authentication Failed" notice. In the settings you can add WatchESPN Provider, I'll get to that and find out if I can add my normal ESPN access later.

Interestingly, the app has under Settings a "About Nielsen Measurement" section that can allow you to opt out of being measured.

EDIT: Oh, and ESPNFC is listed available on ESPN+ at 6pm ET tonight.

7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    #57 JayRockers!, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Another program we were "told" we wouldn't lose access to as an ESPN cable subscriber...

Thx,

Jay!

8. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Without condensed games, ESPN+ is useful for me only for watching Quakes away matches.

I'll sign up for the 30 day free trial just before its offer expiration, then cancel and sign up for new months as needed. I'm not going to use the service for anything else, so why pay for unused days.

It looks like I can cover the 2018 season with the free trial, and then three additional paid months, so $15 total.

The condensed match situation still irks me. Only available on the MLS mobile app, inapplicable to semi-luddites like me, with apparently one game per week available on its Youtube page. A big step down from past years. Oh well. MLS is clearly on top of its business metrics.

Save The Crew. Gratuitous, but necessary.

harrylee773 repped this.
  9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's not bad. I feel some bugs will show up in the next few weeks.

10. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    "Hi because I know everyone is going to freak out about this re: ESPN+, I got official word this morning that condensed matches are staying on the free MLS app ok"

thefriscokid and Sounders78 repped this.
  11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, just noticed this has been updated, all of my series set recordings are gone. Boooo.

Hope it's available on demand on ESPN +

12. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That game was only broadcasted locally. MLS Live has the archived full match video. I checked.

I read somewhere else that ESPN+ will have the on-demand archives available for matches starting tomorrow (4/13), not for those previously available on MLS Live.

A bit awkward and confusing. I hope the local blackout policy carries over from MLS Live to ESPN+. It should, but.....

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Any word on condensed matches or highlights?

14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not know about USL but every Stanley cup playoff game from Wed. Night was available for replay this AM and I also checked and the all play fine.

What the next regular season will be like I do not know but it is looking promising.

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how they pulled this off with NBC having the NHL TV contract.

harrylee773 repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm just guessing BUT I suspect that the games were not available live (clearly ESPN+ was not active when the games were played), and will not be available live in the future and ESPN has a deal that allows delayed playback. Contracts for live broadcast and delayed broadcast are probably somewhat different.

Those were all nationally televised games so they were not even available live on the NHL app on my Roku.

We will just have to wait to see exactly how this pans out as the MLS match from last night is not playable on ESPN but plays fine on the MLS's Roku app.

ESPN+ is not even active on the Roku yet. I am happy I have a Fire TV and a Shield TV as well as Roku because the Fire and Shield have updated to work fine with ESPN+.

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Especially since they aren't available in the NHL app.

Thx,

Jay!

18. Just Offside

Just Offside Member

May 22, 2015
    I signed up for Plus today and watched some of the Bradford City - Shrewsbury match and found the video quality to be on par with MLS Live. ESPN3 was often a blocky, pixellated mess for me, so this is pleasing.

Stan Collins and JasonMa repped this.
  19. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things I don't like is the integration with the ESPN app rather than WatchESPN. The app defaults on the "Home" page that shows the scores of the teams you designated as favorites. I had to unfavorite the Revs because if I want to watch a game after it starts or after it finishes, there would inevitably be spoilers.
    It is supposed to be integrated with Chromecast, but I didn't see a casting function when I was playing around with it.
    I wonder what MLS is going to do with it's Roku channel. Hopefully they decide to put their original video content and condensed games there. It would seem like a waste not to continue to utilize it.

20. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for answering the stupid question I was about to ask!

21. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I think that is because Canadian markets will still use MLSLive. I assume ESPN+ is for US only.

22. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    This depends on your tv provider. As a sling tv subscriber I can only watch 1 stream on WatchESPN at a time.

23. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried to watch the Championship game this afternoon but it kept defaulting to commercial break and then became unavailable. I guess this service is still a work in progress? All the women's softball and baseball anybody would ever want though.

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is ESPN+ available on Roku? I don't see the channel available to add there, but maybe I am missing something.

25. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I don’t think so yet. At least one of the articles in today’s new thread said that

jayd8888 and onefineesq repped this.