ESPN+ debuts on April 12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been experiencing the same problems as you. I recall having Hammarby IF in Sweden (not always in Allsvenskan) as a team in my ESPN profile. I'll have to check this out after work today.

JasonMa and BalanceUT repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Removing just Chester FC didn't fix the issue, removing both Chester FC and Queen of the South did.

Pretty obvious that they got my updated reproduction steps, loaded my account and looked at how the code interacted with favorites, found the error log when it hit Chester FC being a favorite (which must have loaded before Queen of the South), figured out that was the problem, and told me to remove it. Either they didn't look further in the logs to see the error with Queen of the South or the first error caused a failure that prevented the system from even attempting to load Queen of the South so the error wasn't present.

Once I knew that the issue was a favorite team when my system still failed once I removed Chester it was a simple trial and error of removing all my non-obvious favorites (I left my college, NFL, and MLB favorites) and adding each one back until it failed. That was going to be fater than reporting it was still broken and having them find the problem. I was almost certain it was going to be Queen of the South and/or CD Tenerife, as the only two to not have regular ESPN coverage (The U.S. Nats, Rapids, Blackburn, and Melbourne get more coverage so I was pretty sure it wasn't them). Tenerife was in La Liga in the recent past though so it worked.

As @ElJefe essentially says below, there's no such thing as a perfect software application and I feel this is edge case enough that there's really no fault in them missing it. The only frustration is with ESPN dragging their feet getting me in contact with somebody who could actually help.

Yep, I'm sure it was driving the developers crazy every time I would tell them it was still broken. Things went much faster once ESPN passed me on to BamTech customer support and I knew my details were going directly from the support rep to the development team. Then when we figured out that the changes I made to the account was the cause of it going from working to failing it gave them the exact points to look at.

The bug is in their JIRA board for their first August sprint, so I would assume by the end of the month things should be working correctly even for smaller teams.

I've always said that if you want to see a perfect piece of software load up Calculator. Anything more complex than that has a bug in it somewhere, guaranteed (and Calculator hasn't always been perfect).

Burr, BalanceUT, EvanJ and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ESPN+ blacked out the Portland/SJ match locally in the Bay Area. As far as I can tell, either SJ or MLS has changed its local blackout policy for SJ mid-season. The ESPN+ phone rep had nothing new or substantial to share last night. I am trying to follow up by email without any response yet.

Can anyone watch in-market matches live on ESPN+?

4. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I cannot in the Altitude are.

Judging by some of the comments I’ve seen around Facebook it looks like others are suddenly experiencing the same.

I just canceled my subscription.

5. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Same for me in Dayton Ohio. 70 miles from Columbus. Can’t get the over the air Columbus channel. Blacked out on ESPN+. I guess MLS doesn’t want me to watch my team. Why is the league in 5th place again?

6. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Email reply from ESPN+:

"Please be advised you are currently located in the local network for the San Jose Earthquakes and your local broadcasting network has purchased the rights to exclusively air the live game in your area. You are, however, able to watch the game as a replay after the end of the game."

All evidence points to a league wide local blackout policy.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're complaining about it's best ever placement - against leagues with generations more fans? Really?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Back in my early days as a contract programmer in the late-80s one of the computer catchphrases of the day was "fool proof" as in fool proof computer or fool proof software. I marketed myself and my custom programming as "fool friendly" - because fools are so ingenious. With my 30+ years and your 24 years, you'll nod your head as you hear a software developer on the phone going "you're using it to do what?"

TheJoeGreene and JasonMa repped this.
  9. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I just vent that it's crap that the NYC teams' games are blacked out in the entire state?

Socarchist and mjlee22 repped this.
  10. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Well done ESPN+, I missed the first kickoff at Audi Field because you were in commercial.

BassNFool repped this.
  11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    TSN was in commercial, ESPN+ was just using their feed. If you're going to bitch and moan about a product, at least get it right as to which one was the problem.

Soccer Helmet, jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming the regional sports networks (RSNs) are available in the whole state. The only upstate teams in top American leagues are the Buffalo Bills in a sport that isn't on RSNs and the NHL's Buffalo Sabres. It wouldn't make sense for people in upstate New York to not get to watch New York City teams. By the same logic, I would expect RSNs from Boston to be available in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine, which don't have any big cities. In sports with teams in Seattle but not Portland, I would expect people in Oregon, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming to want to watch Seattle teams. If you get games on an RSN, why does it matter how far from the stadium you are? The point of blackouts is not to make you travel to stadiums. What's unfair is if you get blacked out of games on RSNs you can't get.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My issue with Altitude's blackout policy is that Altitude has no online stream option. To (legally) watch the Rapids in Altitude's broadcast region you must have a cable or satellite subscription. I believe most other RSN's now have an option for cord cutters.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The YES network is widely distributed throughout NY and the Northeast US. It's also available on DirectTV. I have friends who have Verizon FiOS in the Philly area, and when I use their WiFi the NYC games are blacked out on ESPN+.

YES network is also available for streaming through the Fox Sports App.

15. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Follow up. Yup, that solved it. I re-installed the ESPN app on my Roku. Tried to open the DCU v VAN game, asked for my subscription to be completed with the code on es.pn/roku, hit enter ... Then the Roku app crashed. Opened the app, it crashed again.

Went to EPSN.com and removed Hammarby IF from my favorites. Tried to select the match again. Voila! ESPN works on the Roku now.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bet is that the teams that are available to set as favorite by selecting their league and selecting their team work fine. Teams you have to use the search function to find to set as favorite cause the app to crash. Presumably there's some code around the default favorite teams that's missing from the searched ones.

The only flaw in this reasoning is me having Tenerife as a favorite, which you have to search for, doesn't cause the crash. Tenerife was in La Liga not too long ago though, and would have been one of the default teams. I'm guessing it retained whatever code it had then and makes it through the bug.

Kejsare and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest issues with the ESPN app across all platforms:
    1) no way to hide the scores
    2) no option to start from the beginning after match is in progress (FOX app has this)
    3) No 10 second skip (again FOX app has this)

I understand why they would have the scores visible as a default, but the fact that they charge money for this means that the format should be customizable to what the viewer wants. I like to start watching games after I put the kids to bed, so my only options to avoid spoilers is to start the stream and pause it until I'm ready, or wait until the game finishes completely to watch the replay (which sucks because that means having to stay up later).

I fell in love with FOX's 10 second skip during the World Cup because I could skip ahead during breaks (throw ins, goal kicks, goal kicks etc.) without missing anything.

mbar and Stan Collins repped this.
  18. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can avoid spoilers if you use ESPN+ the old fashioned way, on a computer web browser, once the match completes. Just start here: http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?type=replay. With local blackouts now uniformly enforced across MLS, I must use this option.

I'm not sure about time shifting while a match is still occurring.

19. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed that I cannot time shift on an ESPN nationally broadcasted match, but for all others on ESPN+ I have no problem with time shifting even if live. You can stop/start replays for national broadcasts.

20. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    EvanJ, jayd8888 and TrickHog repped this.
  21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Union are not on a local sports channel. Their local TV coverage is on a broadcast channel, WPHL-TV, which is stated in the article. WPHL is an affiliate of a minor network, MyTV. As he points out that station is not carried by any of the streaming services. We have the same issue in Houston. Our local coverage is on KUBE-TV. It is not part of any network. It is not available on any streaming package.

Both of those local broadcast channels are available over the air or via local cable/satellite. They certainly are not on FUBO.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you could try NordVPN or Torguard VPN (the 2 VPNs with the lowest latency) with trackOFF but things get complicated.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same in Denver. Altitude has no legal stream available without a cable/sat subscription.